nate1982

i am doing a 7 day pack trip into unit 102, me and one of my child hood friends have draw 101-109 e archery tags and are planning on making this a hutn to remember. we have chosen the northern half of the unit and will be camping at hidden lakes. our backup spots in case of pressur or lack of animal are cold lakes and then the headwaters of thorpe creek. i am just posting on here to see if this is a good plan or if our time would be better spent south on the ruby crest trail instead. thanks for any info!!

You're plan is exactly what I would do if I had that tag. Stay way up high and glass glass glass...if you go down below you'll run into tons of traffic. Stay away from where everyone else is and get off the beaten path. That is where you will find the big bucks in this unit...and trust me I have seen/ missed some real bruisers up there. Good luck to you guys!

I went up there a few years ago and there was a family reunion going on at hidden lake they hired a packer to bring them in there must of been 20 plus people in the group.Didnt realy mess or hunt up but there was not a shortage of people hikeing around.

yeah, i think we are gonna go straight to cold lakes if we feel up to it when we hike in 2 days before season. Just want to get back in there a bit and cold lakes looks like a better starting point then hidden lakes.

back when we did that trip I never exercised a single day and I didnt find it a very difficult trip with a 65 pound pack.If i did that trip now I would prep a bit more since I have gained a few pounds.Its way harder getting meat out if you cant lose any of your pack weaight,we opened and dumped all our food out to make room and loose weaight.

Our group will be in that area also. Sounds like there might be a few of us in the vicinity. Anyway, at least our horses will do most of the packing:) Good luck on your hunt.

When you go towards hidden lake, go over the top to the otherside of the mountain, a little tough but if you want to get away?, actually there will be deer close to any of those places you mention

If you go up over the backside you will have a camp in the bottom of each canyon,drop camps from a outfitter.

it looks like a pretty large area so i am not very concerned about traffic. Plus i am young an dumb enough to find those hard to reach spots most people wont go!!!

hunted rubies last year. scouted hidden lake, cold lakes and overland down by king peak. found some nice bucks in the cold lakes and overland . mostly does and smaller bucks at hidden. (also lots of people). decided to hunt overland lake area. lots of bucks and saw bigger bucks there than the other spots. o ya and killed a good one there. hope this helps.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom