10x32 vs 8x42

FullCurlHunter

I am looking at some binoculars for hunting. They will be used for glassing far ridges out west for deer/elk/sheep and also in the midwest whitetail hunting in the woods/fields.

specifically, I really like the Nikon EDG 10x32 and have been comparing to the Vortex Razor 10x42, Atlas Intrepid Ed 10x42 (similar to Zenray ED 10x42's) and the Vortex Viper 10x42.

Comparing those bino's will I loose a lot in low light conditions with the 10x32 nikons compared to the others or will the "better" glass help greatly in low light conditions given the smaller objective?

Also, I am comparing the Nikon EDG 10x32 to a Nion EDG 8x42. Is the 8x42 enough magnfication for out west glassing far mountains for game?

I do really like the Nikons, I wish I could afford the 10x42's as it would be a no brainer. however, I like the Nikons and I am just trying to decide between the two or if I should end up buying one of the other 10x42's I am comparing.

Thank you

Thank you for your thoughts, I apprecaite it.

No flies on the Nikon EDG, but if I were going with a 32mm bino, it would be an 8x32. A 10x32 lacks light gathering ability due to the smaller exit pupil, and you'll also notice more "shake" with a 10x. Which again, will be exagerated by the 32mm objective, especially in that lightweight of a package.

I just bought the 10x32 EDG's, I just got them monday, so I havent had a chance to test them in the field yet, but I'm really impressed, the low light optics seem good to me too. Theres a few sites selling the 32mm EDG's for $1000, I wanted 10x42's and was planning on buying the new Swarovski SLC HD, but for $1000 and a rebate for a $550 DSLR Nikon Camera, it was a no brainer for me, to get the EDG's so far no regrets. I'll have them out in Wyoming for the opener.

Wow, that is a steal on that edg with the camera deal. Sell that camera on ebay or something and end up with an edg bino for $600 or so. You can't beat that! Wow. I may pick up an 8x32.

Take a look at the Leupold gold ring HD in 8x42 and 10x42

the 8x gets my vote for the low light and greater field of view!
Cabela's has them on sale with a rebate for about $560

I know it's a lot but still way less then the high end
glass from across the big puddle.

Also most anyone will tell you...Leupold has great customer
service!

Anyone have a pair of these?

let us know you thoughts

Griz

I can't tell you about the Nikons. Their reputation is solid. After years of 10x42s, I switched to 8.5x42s. I compared them side by side with 10x42s and determined the extra magnification wasn't needed, but the wider field of view was nice. I use them both in the timber and for glassing basins and ridges way over there. I'm glad I went with the lower power.

I will go with ZEN ED2 8x42. much better glass than the ZEN ED or Intrepid ED. The dielectric coating helps a lot for low light condition

>I will go with ZEN ED2
>8x42. much better glass than
>the ZEN ED or Intrepid
>ED. The dielectric coating helps
>a lot for low light
>condition

Unfortunately, the reason they make so many configurations is they really each have their own applications with related strengths/weaknesses. Bigger magnification requires bigger lenses or you lose exit-pupil diameter and therefore suffer in low light, and you also have much more weight hanging off you which is important if you are packing. Smaller 30-32mm glass typically limits you to 8x or you really lose light gathering capabilities, but they can be very light. It's a compromise, but I do think if you hunt in big country like here in Idaho, you want the best you can get optically. I suggest you keep the exit Pupil above 4x, which means no more than 8x on 32mm, 10x on 42mm. I also suggest the 10x, with more weight if you don't plan to haul a spotter with you. I carry 8x's because they weigh just over 19oz, which is about 10oz less than the 42mm version and I always haul my spotter with me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom