12a and 12b

J

JamesM

Has anyone on here purchased a nonpermit elk tag for 12a 12b? If so did you see any elk or harvest one? I know its a extremely hard hunt just wanted to see if anyone has been lucky enough to kill one of this unit.

You got a better chance of being hit by a meteor than killing an elk up there, especially in 12B..

Save you money and buy a lottery ticket.

You got better odds.

Don Martin
AWO

Wow, was she by herself?

Only elk I've seen in 12A was about 10 years ago, I saw three bulls together. I was on a spring turkey hunt in 12A West.

I hunt the Kaibab every year and have been doing so since the 70's. I maintain there are other areas to waste money on looking for elk than these places.

Don Martin
AWO

I saw three cow elk in De Motte Park two years ago on the archery deer hunt. Sure would be a tough hunt in 12 though.

I am kind of surprised elk havent expanded on the Kaibab. Seems like perfect habitat. Glad they havent as I am sure they would take over and ruin the deer hunting.

Speaking of 12A and 12B, if the right guide is hired, what kind of experience can one expect out of the early hunt on these units? My son and I don't have enough points for a late hunt but to many to just through in the towel. We are NR's
Joe D

Obviously there is a reason the late hunts are harder to draw. Fewer tags, and closer to or in the rut. It is just a better quality hunt with better odds of taking a really large buck IMO.
The early hunts can be good.
If you can be happy with a 150 class buck and hunt hard they can be had. You are hunting great country so anything can happen. My advise would be to evaluate what you really need to get out of the hunt and if it's not all about score then go for it.
10 years ago I hunted hard and was lucky enough to take a 178 on the 12AE early hunt without a guide. 2 years ago I had the 12AW late tag and went guided. Saw way more bucks but nothing much over the 150 mark and ate the tag.
If you draw the tag come back and ask for guide recommendations, there are several good ones working the Kaibab.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom