12A West Late coming back!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
My friend and fellow AWO guide Dave Bruns had the opportunity to go with our friend Jay Chan on his late westside 12A deer hunt this year.

First of all, I was glad to see the number of tags reduced for this hunt.

We all know the place has awesome genetics, they just need to let the bucks get some age to grow to their potential.

Anyway we looked at a lot of bucks the first few days and on the fourth morning while I was watching a water, Jay and Dave took a hike down a canyon and before I knew it, they bagged this nice buck.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4103jay_chan_12a_west_late_2011.jpg

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-11 AT 08:54AM (MST)[p]Ya by all reviews we will have an interesting decision to make in 2012. Will be our first year with max NR points. 13A/B or 12AW.

I don't know. I hunted that area last year and wasn't impressed at all.

I did hear they took some really nice bucks on the east side on the late hunt though.

Don Martin
AWO

Great buck, really nice picture. Glad the hunt went well for you guys. We saw a ton of bucks and like you, I am glad they cut the tags. There is such trophy potential if managed right up there. Congratulations........... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

How old is that buck. Looks like the typical young 4 point that gets wacked up there before reaching its potential. Seems odd to see that pic under the comment that we need to let them grow and reach their potential.

AzDogman:

Sorry to take so long to answer your post, been out scouting this week for an upcoming junior's deer/pig hunt here in Unit 16A.

First of all, your questions are absolutely valid!

Here is what I can offer in regards to this issue.

The reason I am glad that the department reduced tags on this hunt is so that MORE bucks like this will make it into an older age class.

That being said, I firmly believe that every hunter with a tag does have the choice on what they take. It is not my or your call. It is theirs.

What we may think when they decide to pull the trigger is not important to them, nor should it be. It is after all, THEIR tag and their decision!

I've known Jay for a long time; he is one of my best friends. He has gone on numerous hunts for every species in Arizona with me. He has been with me when our hunters have taken some tremendous bucks. This is a buck from 2010 that Jay watched as our hunter put the smack down on.

2987tony_keller_13b_cactus_buck_two_2010.jpg

Jay knows what he is doing out there and I for one won't question his decision to take this or any buck.

He waited a long time for the tag; he got it fair and square, and it was ultimately his choice to take or pass on this buck and every other buck he saw on his hunt..

He decided to take this one, he made a heck of shot on him so it is really a moot point.

Heck, I've seen guys shoot forkies on this hunt, and again while you or I might not do it, who are we to question their choice?

A trophy is always in the eyes of the beholder.

I hope I've answered your question.

Thanks again for the post, you brought up a good point that I think we should all think about when we are in the field with friends and family.

Not to make any excuses, but note I wasn't even with them when he and friend Dave Bruns took this buck. I was a mile away watching a remote water. I did however pack some of it out, and was glad to do it!

Good luck and good hunting!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

That was a very good question AZdogman . And Don Martin, you laid out your answer perfectly . To kinduv add to the topic, IMO they should reduce the tag #'s even more, a lot more . The Kaibab has got great potential to produce Trophy Bucks like we see in units 13A and 13B . History has proven that . Just a few years ago I remember 13A struggling a bit, but now look at it, Giant Book bucks taken year after year now. By, reducing tag #'s even more on the Kaibab yes you may have too wait a little longer to draw that tag, but when the time comes and you do draw the tag could become more worthwhile .

True. I think the strip kind of regulates itself. Guys don't go there and shoot 150 in deer for the most part. This type of thing is very common in kiabab and it's a downward spiral. Gets harder and harder to find a big buck so more and more people shoot the first 4 point they see. This only makes the problem worse. We have to stick to our own ideas though. I see lots of guys preaching it but not practicing it. For example. We are pretty big on not killing female lions in our areas we commonly hunt. Last year we had one caught and my 12 year old was there. You know how hard it was to walk away from that tree. But we did.
Anyways. I agree. Cut tags. Maybe people will start to regulate themselves on that hunt. Cut the early tags. Those young 4points and 3 points get smashed on that hunt.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom