140 grain Accubond enough?

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I've a great load worked up with this bullet in my 7mm Rem Mag. Is this enough punch for mule deer? In looking at the ballistics, it looks as though this bullet has more speed and energy than the 160 grains? I'm loading 65gr of IMR4831.

That is more then enough for just about anything in the Continental US. Big Bull maybe 160 needed but that 140gr accubond out of a 7mag at 3100+fps it is good for quite a ways.

Absolutely enough. I use 140 grain Trophy Bond Bear Claws going 3050 fps out of my .280 (basically same bullet and speed) for elk and has always done the trick. I've never recovered a bullet to see how it performed as I have never kept a bullet in an elk always a pass through but I've never had to shoot one twice.

Its plenty. It may start out faster than a 160 gr. but due to lower ballistic cooeficient it also slows down quicker. I use the 160gr. Accubond's for every thing and am pushing it at 3100fps, measured with chronograph. Also have never recovered a bullet just the animal.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I can't help but wonder if this is a real question. That load is enough for elk in my book.
Not to steal the thread but how is the accuracy with that 140 in a remington 700? I am thinking about trying some in mine. Ron

The .284 caliber (7MM) was originaly designed to shoot 140 grain projectiles, it SHOULD shoot fantastic in just about any model of rifle for the most part.

My next toy for mule deer is going to be a 7MM RUM, the ballistics on that bad boy are astonishing!!

300wby out of a Mark V is my current favorite elk & deer medicine.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

That load is plenty. I only shoot 150grn Accubond in my 300wby. Kills antelope,deer, and elk just fine. JB

I use 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips for deer and antelope and would not hesitate to use them on elk.

As everyone has stated - more than enough. Kilbuc is right, the 140 only starts out faster. If you look at the charts, the 160 will pass it up downrange and give you the additional weight. I used the 160 Partition for many years on everything in a 7 Rem. Mag. and feel it is the best weight for that caliber. I used the 140 Accubond out of a .280 with handloads at 3200fps (yes, chrono'd and safe in my rifle) on a heavy Colorado billy goat right at 300 yards this past fall. They are known to be a tough animal, but with both lungs gone took two steps and fell over, never to move again. Similiar with deer, elk, and moose. Always the same result when shot through both lungs. As long as you do your part, you can have confidence in that bullet.

I have taken several Mule deer in the last 10 years with a 140 grain bullet out of my .270 and I have never had a problem. My opinion you are fine.

Slide

I have shot many muleys and antalope with the AccuBond 110 gn at many different yards from 50 to 300 comeing out of a .25 cal. and to me that is the perfect deer size set up.. 140 gn. AccuBond is more than enough and will work fine.

140 accubond' would be plenty. I would not shoot an elk with a 120 Balistic Tip unless he was chained to a tree. I have had varying results with them. Had three very difficult recoveries with them on mule deer. No exit and little blood trails.

140 grain Accubonds are great on deer and elk, Ive even dropped a couple of speed goats with them. 120 grain Ballistic tips on an elk thats a stretch. Ballistic tips are not made to penetrate on light skin animals let alone an elk, and if that ballistic tip going anywhere close to 3000 fps when it hits they like to disintegrate on contact.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting HOLY SH!T WHAT A RIDE!!!

140 Accubond is a great bullet. 7mm Mag is a great gun. The combination is very deadly. Now my dad killed his cow elk this year with his new 270 wsm with 140 accubond. She was 325 yards out, a shot through the shoulders. Complete pass through.
That Accubond is one fantastic bullet in my mind.

I to have had terrible results with the Ballastic Tip. All I could find of bullet was bits and pieces. Would never use on any big game including WT. Does anyone want to share there best load for a 280 w/ 140 GR Accubonds.
Tom

Tom,

Throw them BT's in the trash.

We've had good luck up here useing a 140gr.
Accubond over 57gr. of IMR 4831. Some guns will
take a tad more, but that's a really good deer load
right there. You'll like it.

Larry

Thanks for the info. Larry.
I have been loading a 150 Gr Partition w/ 54 Gr. of IMR4350 but I believe a 140 Accubond may be a better choice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom