15 points for deer

T

tawstaxidermy

I have 15 p.p. for deer. I dont really know what to do.
Is there anything out there that would be worth blowing 15 points on or should I wait 3-5 years for the game to rebound from the winter we had a couple years ago??
Any suggestions.
I want to hunt a buck of a lifetime. sence it has almost took a lifetime to get here with 15 points. thanks guys for any input.
shawn t.

Resident or non? If a resident, you might look into the RFW properties. I'd probably wait a few more years for some of the 4th rifle hunts to rebound.

I cannot think of any deer unit that is worth 15 points. Better hope they bring back point banking, so you can only burn a few.

Your in a hell of a situation in my opinion. you can draw some great areas, but the problem is you could draw those same units with 5-9 points? Sorry, and good luck

No matter what tag that you draw in Colorado you will have to work to kill a stud buck. There is no tag that you can draw and it be a slam dunk no matter how many points you have or even if you spend $10,000 on a voucher. The buck of a lifetime will be taken with hard work tons of hours scouting and lots of research. That being said i know there are units in the state that grow big bucks more consistently than others and that is where you want to be. There are some early rifle hunts that produce some great bucks, but i promise you these are tough hunts. Most of these hunts you must be in wilderness areas. That means you have to pack in on horse or foot which ever. Then your deer will be up at 11,500 feet and higher.
Or there are muzzle loader hunts in units like 61 again you will have to do some homework to kill a pig.
There are some late rifle hunts but i am not a big fan of them. The season is too short and often weather dependent.
You do have options you just need to figure out what you would like to do and start planning now. Good luck!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Ya guys, I couldn't agree more also Iam a n.r. . There are soom great hunts that only take a few points, this will be my future hunting . But now I have this 15 years of points over my head. I have hade some good colorado hunts on 2nd choice but, I do care for the crowds,the zoo.
I have hunted 61 two times for bulls its just not a unit I would blow 15 points on for deer.
I guess my dream would be that they would do the point banking again , then I could have a couple of great hunts.
There are big bucks in all units ,its just being lucky and hunting one down. One thing for me is hunting pressure.Iam not into hunter orange every two hundered yards , thats just me.

If I had 15 NR PPs I'd wait and hope the gunnison has some good winters without dieoff. Then next time they offer the 4th season, BAM!!!

Thanks guys for your in-put. I have thought of 21 3rd season, this year because of the dates being so late, almost like a 4 season hunt.
The gunnison area is also a area I have thought of, but Waiting 4-5 yars for the population to rebond and bucks to mature, but I dont really want to collect 20 points and mother nature can take are deer again , its a gamble. I think I may focus on 21 3rd season this year.
Does anyone have unit 21 buck pic. or any good stories? Again thanks for any help . monster muley people are the best, happy holidays to you all .
shawn t.

Check my post on unit 21 third season success and unit 21 euromount--i'd be happy to pass on some info on where i hunted and all of the great animals we encountered. You'll enjoy it with quantity and quality!

I would also suggest 21 3rd season. There are some people on here who will try and tell you that there is better places in Colorado to kill monster bucks and that 21 is overrated. And while there are other units in Colorado that put out more of the occational 200"+ bucks, I think 21 may be the best unit for 175"+ bucks. So if you have to have a 190-200"+ buck and are willing to eat tag soup (most likely) chose another unit. But if you just want the best chance at a 180" buck I dont think you will be disapointed with 21.

I myself dont care about score at all. I could have a 24 inch 200 class buck in front of me with a 30 inch 175 buck ,I would kill the 30 incher I do like wide bucks, 30 inch class, trash is always good. I just want to have a great hunt , and a good chance at a 30 incher. 9 days of hunting should produce something if weather is good . It is still all luck in killing one but,the right place at the right time helps.

I hunted GMU 21, 2nd season, in 2005 and I am saving my points to go back. If I was a NR and had 15 points, I would definitely use them on a 3rd season hunt. Here are some photos of the buck I took (174 1/4 net B&C), and some photos of bucks that were are the processor (Laura's Corner) on the fourth morning of the season:

DSCF1592.jpg

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

DSCF1615.jpg

DSCF1614.jpg

I am one of those people who will say 21 is ove . Tenvol the pictures you posted are of some nice bucks but only one of them looks exceptional. I have no better recommendation...I judge my opinion on what I have personally witnessed in 21, lots of 150-170 class bucks but very few over 175 and I have spent alot of time in the units summer range where the bucks are in groups and visible. Just my opinion though.

I agree that there are not alot of "exceptional" bucks taken. But like I said before if you just want a shot at a 175" buck I dont know of a better unit.

>I am one of those people
>who will say 21 is
>ove
> . Tenvol the pictures
>you posted are of some
>nice bucks but only one
>of them looks exceptional. I
>have no better recommendation...I judge
>my opinion on what I
>have personally witnessed in 21,
>lots of 150-170 class bucks
>but very few over 175
>and I have spent alot
>of time in the units
>summer range where the bucks
>are in groups and visible.
>Just my opinion though.

I haven't been to 21 since my hunt in '05, so I suppose things may have gone downhill since then. For the three points I had to use to draw the tag, it was definitely worth it to me. I am going to apply again when I have four points & I look forward to hunting there again in the future. I don't know of any other unit in the state I can hunt with 3/4 points and have a decent chance at harvesting a 175 class buck or better. I'm not getting around too well these days and 21 is a good unit for me and my banged-up knee to get around in!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you look at the draw stats on the DOW website it has taken 7pts for a second season tag the last 2 years. It's been a long time since you could get a tag their with 3 or 4 points and with the point creep it will only get worse. Sorry

>I hate to be the bearer
>of bad news but if
>you look at the draw
>stats on the DOW website
>it has taken 7pts for
>a second season tag the
>last 2 years. It's been
>a long time since you
>could get a tag their
>with 3 or 4 points
>and with the point creep
>it will only get worse.
>Sorry

If I were a non-resident (which I'm not), that would be true. But for the 2008 2nd rifle season, there were 147 tags available for residents and 61 of 126 applicants (48.4%) drew with three points. The remaining 86 tags were drawn by applicants with four or more points. I haven't seen the stats from this past season, but I probably can still draw next year with three or four points!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom