15 x 60 Doctor Optics Question

972Elk

I have a pair of 15x60's (Doctor's)and am very happy with them. My question is it worth purchasing a pair of Swarovski 15x56's? Size, weight, quality, Etc. I have hunted 34A the past 4 years and my Doctor's have done well. I would like to hear from someone who has compared/used the two in the field.

My main complaint with the Doctor's is that when I am hiking up the mountain my binos are in my pack. If I sling the binos, the tri-pod adapter jabbs my ribs and they get heavy...Thanks..Jim

Jim, I bought my Doctors back in '99. I really wanted to get the Swaros but even though I probably could have afforded them I just couldn't justify spending the money ($1,100). I found the Docs for $600. I also had two good friends who had Docs and they really liked them.

Other than being heavy, I was generally pretty happy with them. I got the bino strap that goes around your shoulders instead of your neck. That helps a lot. My buddies that have them carry them in their packs.

2 years ago I was with a guy who had a pair of Swaros. At first light, we were glassing the same hill and he was picking out deer that I couldn't see because the Swaros were brighter. Right then and there I decided I was getting Swaros for the next season.

Six months later, I was fortunate to find a gently used pair of Swaros for sale and bought them. I paid more for a used pair in '04 as I would have paid for a new pair in '99. I did however get a doubler and 2 tripod mounts. The cheapest I could find them new was $1,300. Now you are looking at $1,550 for a new pair.

To be perfectly honest with you, I would not trade my Swaros for anything. They are brighter, sharper and lighter. I have spent many hours looking through both pairs and am comfortable in saying that I can defintely tell a difference.

If you spend a lot of time glassing and you can afford them, I do not think you would be unhappy with upgrading to Swaros at all. CB

Thanks ASUCoues...

Thanks for the post...I think I will buy the Swaros. I want to get them before January. I think I'm going down to Arizona for an Archery deer hunt.

Did you sell your Doctor's?? I think I got mine in 99 as well. What do you think I could sell my Doctor's for?

The Swaros I have found go for about $1700.00. Is there a cheaper place to buy them?

Thanks again...Jim

my dad has the doctors, they are nice for the money but i like the swarovskis. you cant beat the edge to edge clarity on them, especially at the bottom of the FOV. i have looked through zeiss, leicas and swarovskis and the swarovskis won.
Casey

Well, I just got my Swaros 15x56's yesterday. I threw them on my tri-pod and looked across the park. Wow, they are clear! They are about as long as my Doctors but much narrower. They seem to be a little lighter as well. The Doctors are out and the Swaros are in.

The true test will come in January down in Arizona.

Where did you purchase your 15X56's? I'm looking for some and am getting quoted really high prices as there is a new model/version out?

Thanks,
Jim

AZ,

I decised to buy them at Cabela's because they are so good with returned items. I believe they have the old style for about $100 less than the new style.

They were $1779 plus $89 for tri-pod adaptor.

Jim

I bought the 15x56 a while ago and tried them on an oryx hunt recently. They are well worth the money. I was able to pick up the butts of antelope up to five miles out. The only bad thing was that when the heat waves started rolling in, it was a little tough glassing. They are a great glass!

I have the 15x60 docters as well. I love them. they are good glasses but like you said, they are heavy. I think that you can't go wrong with the Swaros. when I have the money, that is what I will get. For now, I am totally satisfied with the Docters. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom