15's and Spotting Scope Question

972Elk

This question is for all of you guys who use 15 powered binos on a tri pod. I have a pair of Swaro 15's. I am thinking about getting a spotting scope.

I am having a hard time justifying paying $1600 bucks for a swaro spotting scope. Do you guys use your spotting scope enough to justify the price?

My 15's work great, but it would be nice to have a little extra magnification. Does anyone have a pair of 15 swaros and have a Nikon or Leupold spotting scope? It seems like this would be the logical route but I would like some imput.
Thanks,
Jim

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-07 AT 11:11PM (MST)[p]I personally have the 15x swaros and the 20-60x80 HD spotter. I use my spotter alot since I am hunting coues most of the time. I also have the digital camera base so I am taking pictures most of the time I find a buck. It all depends on what type of game you are hunting and the terrain you are in. If you are to go for a spotting scope save up like you would for binos and get either a swaro, zeiss or leica. If you want to digiscope either get the swaro or zeiss. If you are not wanting to put that much into a spotter the nikon spotter is probably the next best and it is also good for digiscoping.

I give a vote for the swaro spotter. Last year while I was hunting with my brother in law he got the chance to look through my swarovski 15 power binoculars and made the statement that they were better than his Leupold spotting scope. Within the next month he had bought himself a pair of Swarovski 15x56 binoculars. My point is that if you buy a spotting scope based on cost effeciency then the quality may not be up to par as compared to your swaro 15x binos. You've already got a great pair of binos so you may as well save up and get a great spotter. Anything else will just be mediocre. fatrooster.

my mind set is that if you are a trophy hunter, or a guide it is worth it. personally, i do not use a spotter because i am not a true trophy hunter. if you need to tell weather the elk/deer is boone and crockett or just a decent bull from 1000 yards, then yeah get it. but if all you need is oh man thats a nice 3x3 or what ever, lets go kill it then there is no need for it.
Casey

Thanks for the feedback. I go after those coues and anything else I can draw a tag for. Last year, I would have liked to have a spotter on my Antelope hunt. I don't think I would use it to much on my Archery elk hunts. I could see it come in handy on any other hunt. Once again, thanks for the imput.

A spotting scope of that quality is a once in a lifetime investment. the price over your lifetime is minimal.You will never be sorry if you buy it .GAURANTEED

I can't imagine being w/o a spotting scope but the question of how good of a spotting scope is a very good one. I have an old leupold 30x and a swaro 20x60x80. The 40-60 powers aren't that useful on warm weather hunts due to heat mirage. The weight is a factor on the big glass for packing hunts. The leupold field of view wouldn't effect you because you have the 15's. ( the 12x40 variable). I still use my old leupold on backcountry backpack hunts but the swarovski does spoil a fellow. But do get a scope as long as it isn't a cheapo your binocs are better than the cheapo scopes.

Thanks Squirrel. Thanks to the imput here, I think I'll be dropping some coin on a swaro or a leica spotter. Thanks again to all for the imput....Jim

I use the 15,s and love them it took me two years of wondering what was on the other side of my 15's so I bought a 20x60x80 hd and it is worth every dime, there is no question save your money and wait for a swaro

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom