16A camping

jgriffin82

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-19 AT 10:13AM (MST)[p]My son drew a youth deer and javelina tag for 16A. This will be his first deer hunt where he carries the gun. We'll be headed down on the 20th. I'm debating whether or not to camp in the Hualapai's, or stay in Kingman. Can you fellers offer up some advice? We'll likely make this a yearly excursion so I'd like to get a good plan dialed in. Also, does anyone have the unit biologist contact info? Thank you.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-19 AT 05:33PM (MST)[p]Deer numbers & Javelina numbers are way down in 16A! Your gonna have your work cut out for you. Find the water & the prickly pear cactus for Javelina. The Hualapais hold deer in the canyons & draws, but its steep & rugged country. Try the lower juniper country off Alamo road. Good luck to your son. Don?t overlook the desert flats. Get on a high point & glass the Desert flats.

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the low deer numbers through research before applying. The hunt dates worked with his school schedule and birthday. We'll definitely be glassing. Fortunately it's an any deer tag which should make it a bit easier.

Jim

Sorry it is NOT any deer, it is any antlered deer, which means buck only. And I've lived, hunted and guided in Unit 16A since 1972 and have NEVER seen a whitetail anywhere in this unit.

If you'd like some professional help on his hunts, call me at 928-303-9481. We can take my 5th wheel out to stay in and that will be very convenient for you. Took some archery deer hunters out in August and saw quite a few bucks.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters
Kingman, AZ
[email protected]

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-19 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]Don, correct, any antlered deer. Not sure why I left that out. I've considered contacting you about help with the hunt but, it's not in the budget at the moment. Thank you for the offer though. If he enjoys the hunt and we continue it in future years, we'll plan accordingly to use your help. Also, I didn't think there were Coues in the unit. Muley or Coues, I'm sure my son will shoot the first fork he sees. Hopefully we can find one.

Jim

16A camping-hunting!

Jim, I spoke with a couple of guys from Utah whose kids had both deer and javelina tags in Unit 16A. One was a fellow Hunter Education Instructor.

They didn't have any issues finding pigs--both kids got em-- but they were having some issues finding bucks.

I wasn't able to go out with them due to an elk hunt I was doing but gave them a place to go look.

They found bucks and the little 10-year-old girl got 3 shots the first day then went to the area I told them about.

The next day she got a real nice 4x4 and her cousin decided not to take any of the other smaller bucks they saw. (He has a 26 inch 4x4 he got in Utah!)
36759harleylarsen.jpeg

Hope your hunt went well.

If you get a tag again let me know. Always glad to help the mentors who are taking the kids out to hunt!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom