16A Drop Camp

I'm sure it's possible, but 16a is easily accessible by vehicle. Even big campers. Why not just bring your own camp?

16B 16C or 16D would be a better drop camp hunt. You can really get back in the wilderness or remotes places in those units. Good luck.

In 16A I would agree with the other posters that with the access and road systems a drop camp may not provide much benefit. Maybe Vmcfadden is driving or flying from across the country and just wants to pay an outfitter to have his camp set-up for his group to avoid the logistics and hassles of bringing their own camp? Or perhaps he is a nonresident just looking for a 2 day guided drop camp to get in the outfitter draw for a 16A tag for the better drawing odds?

With regards to the later, I have heard of some NM outfitters offering a bare bones outfitter package to meet the minimum requirements to be entered into the guide draw but I don't know if this strategy will be met with widespread acceptance by the majority of the prequalified outfitters. With the 2 day minimum package, they might be able to increase their client base and gain some revenue from the hunters that would otherwise be DIY, but then they might be losing some tags that would otherwise go to their clients that want the full blown full price guide package. Seems like a double edge sword...

I think there would be a lot of DIY hunters (myself included) that would be interested in the legal minimum outfitter package that qualifies for the guide draw to increase their draw odds if such a package was offered at a reasonable price. Just look at Wyoming where applicants are willing to pay more for the same elk tag in the special draw ($1,057) vs the regular draw ($577) just for potentially better (but not even guaranteed) draw odds!

Horniac

>In 16A I would agree with
>the other posters that with
>the access and road systems
>a drop camp may not
>provide much benefit. Maybe
>Vmcfadden is driving or flying
>from across the country and
>just wants to pay an
>outfitter to have his camp
>set-up for his group to
>avoid the logistics and hassles
>of bringing their own camp?
>Or perhaps he is a
>nonresident just looking for a
>2 day guided drop camp
>to get in the outfitter
>draw for a 16A tag
>for the better drawing odds?
>
>
>With regards to the later,
>I have heard of some
>NM outfitters offering a bare
>bones outfitter package to meet
>the minimum requirements to be
>entered into the guide draw
>but I don't know if
>this strategy will be met
>with widespread acceptance by the
>majority of the prequalified outfitters.
>With the 2 day minimum
>package, they might be
>able to increase their client
>base and gain some revenue
>from the hunters that would
>otherwise be DIY, but then
>they might be losing some
>tags that would otherwise go
>to their clients that want
>the full blown full price
>guide package. Seems like a
>double edge sword...
>
>I think there would be a
>lot of DIY hunters (myself
>included) that would be interested
>in the legal minimum outfitter
>package that qualifies for the
>guide draw to increase their
>draw odds if such a
>package was offered at a
>reasonable price. Just look at
>Wyoming where applicants are willing
>to pay more for the
>same elk tag in the
>special draw ($1,057) vs the
>regular draw ($577) just for
>potentially better (but not even
>guaranteed) draw odds!
>
>Horniac

yes we are flying out from east coast. I'm just looking for a camp set and ready when we get there to hunt out of. I want to be able to drive right to it so we can hunt a few different areas of the unit.

Vmcfadden,

I can vouch for Tommy as recommended by BigPig. I used his services in 2008 with great results, I didn't know he offered drop camps but if he doesn't I am sure he will know who does...

Horniac

#1 on Tommy

Unless you have a landowner tag, you may want to worry about drawing the tag first! Tough tag to draw....

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom