16A Rifle Hunt

WildernessHTR

We have been blessed with tags this year. My dad, wife and next door neighbor all drew 16a 1st rifle elk tags. Were headed up this weekend to set up camp and start scouting. I know this is a coveted tag so if anyone has the second hunt, feel free to PM me and I will fill you in on what we saw and where.
If anyone wants to offer some last minute advice, I am always listening.
Thanks & good luck.

Last I heard was that all the campgrounds managed by the forest service were closed throughout the Gila. Does it matter? I think it could for the mobility impaired hunters. I know for some just being able to sit on the thrown with hand rails makes a hunt way more comfortable than trying to squat a grumpy balancing up against a tree.
WildernessHTR, I recently finished the 3rd archery season down there in 16-A and saw numerous good bulls and 1 that was great. PM me your phone number and I will give you as much info that I can.

Good luck to all upcoming hunters!

Me and my dad had Drew the 2nd rifle hunt so if you could let me know what you saw I would appreciate it! We have hunted this unit before but we have heard road conditions are bad so that's the big concern we have! But anyway good luck

Just returned from 1st hunt. My buddy got a 5x by 0730 first morning. Bulls were bugling from early morning to mid afternoon. Bachelor herds first couple of days then they started to cow up. cows responded to calls by third day. Bulls were leery by second day to come in to bugle. roads in the bear wallow area were good. I went in through Reserve and had no issues at all with my toy hauler. There were several large 5th wheels in as far as Neagro Lookout and all the way to willow springs.

Good luck to all

I heard thru the grapevine that the road from Horse Springs to Collins park was washed out. Can anyone confirm that? Have a deer hunt in 16 next weekend.

Thanks,

Travis

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-13 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]Mogollon (Silver Creek)

A primitive 4-wheel drive track has been completed where NM Hwy 159 used to be from Deadwood Canyon to Mogollon. Heavy equipment from NMDOT will work to improve this road as needed. Work was slow because 10-15 foot drop offs from the old road are common and boulders the size of small vehicles have been washed into the drainages. Only emergency vehicles and local residents are allowed.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom