16B expectations

kybuck1

Well after drawing 16B second archery this year, I am going with an experienced outfitter for my inexperience. I have done enough research to know how rugged this wilderness is that I would likely have a difficult time on my own. I know all experiences and guides for that matter differ, but with no experience in this state for elk what would a reasonable goal on bull size be for this unit. I understand it really varies from person to person but just maybe some generalities with your experience. I'll likely just trust the guides input, but my excitement has generated a lot of curiosity. Thanks guys

No guarantees, especially on a bow hunt. However, that is the best time to get into rutting elk. With a guide getting you in there, I would expect to see lots of elk, and shooting at nothing less that 350".

I guess it all depends on who you chose as an outfitter. The reality is there are giants in this unit but you have to be realistic. If your plan is to kill 380 or nothing than be o.k. with killing nothing. I also have the same exact hunt and my plan is to kill a mature bull. If he is a club horned 9 year bull or a 400" 6x6, I'll take it but I would have to pass on a 300" 6x6 if he's young. Would I shoot a cow over a young bull? Absolutely!I enjoy elk meat and prefer a fat healthy cow over a rutty bull but, I don't put in for these types of tags to not try and kill a monster. At the end of the day I will say this, even if you don't tag out the experiences of being in this unit with all the screaming bulls is unforgettable! I would rather have only 5 minutes in the Gila with a tag in my pocket and a bow in my hands than a lifetime of dreaming of what it'd be like!

+1 on 350". IMO if you want meat go to the supermarket so skip the younger bulls and don't shoot a cow. You are paying a decent amount of money for an outfitter and this is a good unit. We have seen quite a few "big ones" in this unit and a couple of us have taken 350" bulls. If your outfitter/guide is any good you will see at least one or two 350"+ bulls. Killing one is another story, but finding them should not be all that hard for anyone with experience in this unit. Getting into where they are at is the hard part, but with horses and a outfitter it shouldn't be all that hard to get back in there where they live.

Thanks guys, I hate to even ask that question with all the possible variables. I'm sure that the guides will give me some good input on what to shoot and hold out on, but I also know that there might be those split second decisions and the guide might not be right by my side. I'm glad you all have responded and I'm not at all opposed to not tagging an animal if it's not what I'm after. Doesn't have to be a giant for me, but definitely looking for a mature bull that is realistic and capable in this unit. Thanks again fellas.

A realistic expectation is a very good chance at a 325" class satelite bull. You should see bulls in the 350"+ class, but with the herd, they are much harder to get an arrow into.

Oh I am gonna have fun...always do. Just my excited curiosity kicking in. I've never been in a unit that has that much trophy potential and just super excited. Tom was super nice while booking and it seems has a great reputation. Gonna likely be a trip of a lifetime for me. Thanks again for all the input guys!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom