2 animals down at once?

ORsouthpaw

Has anyone ever heard of having two animals down at one time? I was just thinking about the fact that a lot of archery guys here in Oregon are packing both deer and elk tags at the same time.

Say you shoot a nice Elk that makes a run and you are giving him time to expire then a nice buck comes strolling along and presents a shot. Do you drop him? Have you ever herd of this happening?

Years ago I read an article in a magazine. Probably Bugle or Outdoor Life. Guy, on opening morning, shot a nice 6x bull. While waiting to track, a nice muley fed to him and he shot it as well. Was a real prompt for me to look into bowhunting!

I don't worry too much about the likelihood of that happening. If I had both a buck and an elk down, I'd tell my buddy to bring and extra horse when we come to pack em out. If your packing on your back, you'd better know you can get some help before you take that second animal. I've packed a couple of elk out alone and would not have been able to add a deer in that day. As I dropped the third quarters off, it was all I could do at the truck to not cry at the thought of that last elk quarter waiting for me... I'm not exceptionally tough, but no wimp either.

In 2003 my dad and I both killed elk during the bow hunt about 30 minutes apart with in about 200 yards of each other.My dad shot his elk about 5:10, the elk blew out with about 10 others, so I was afraid the track was going to get mixed in as there was elk track everywhere.I followed in the direction in which I thought his bull went, while he looked for blood around the shot area.Just as I was about to turn around and head back, I looked down and in the pine needled right at my feet it looked as if someone pour a glass of water, but I noticed the red coloring, blood.I cow called so my dad could head own to where I was at, but the elk really never boogered too far , they calmed right down and answered my call. My dad then cow called back to me to get my location and the elk started to move back up towrds him. My bull walked through the trees lookin for my dad and at 28 yards I let the air out. He humped up and jumped maybe 5-6 yards and just stood there , never knew what hit him. A minute or so went by and he reared up on his back legs and flipped over right there. We found my dads bull bedded about another 100 or so yards below dead.We experianced some great luck , and the truck as only about half a mile away..

About 10 years back, I was hunting with my father. We bugled in a 5x5 bull that I put an arrow through, and he crashed about 75 yards away. We celebrated, and were able to get him to the truck whole, without packing him. We were on private land, and luckily, when he went down, it wasn't far from a small 2 track road that we could get the truck up to. We got him into the bed of the truck and started to head out. It was about noon, and my father asked if we could stop and glass over a meadow since he had a bear tag for rifle. We did, and about an hour later, a nice black bear came out to browse. My father put a nice shot on him, and to make a long story short, we soon had a bear laying on top of the elk in the back of the pickup.

We drove into town and pulled into the check station. The game warden came around to the back of the pickup, looked at the bear piled on top of the 5point, and simply said "Looks like you boys had a pretty interesting morning."

One of the best days hunting in my life.

In 2001 I took a bull. Dbl lung shot saw him go down. While waiting the std 30 min. a nice 3x3 buck comes up to 15 yards. Took both within sight of each other.

WHEN I WAS ON THE WASATCH FRONT LAST YEAR .I ARROWED MY 30 INCHER . HE WENT 40 YARDS AND PILED UP! WHEN I WAS FOLLOWING THE BLOOD TRAIL.. THAT ELUSIVE 400 INCH BULL CAME OUT OF KNOW WHERE .
TO KNOCK ME UP ! BEFORE HE COULD. I LET AN ARROW FLY AT 10 YARDS . WENT THROUGH BOTH LUNGS ONLY TO HAVE HIM DIE RIGHT NEXT TO MY MULE DEER .

MADE A HECK OF A WASATCH FRONT HUNT .
I LOVE THE STORIES OF HOW SOMEONE KILLS THE BULL ,AND THE BUCK AT THE SAME TIME !!

huntercameron, I know alot of times stories may just sound crazy, almost impossible to believe.I too would sometimes question some , but after a few of these same types of things happened where I experianced em, now I know that alot of times its a deal where you'd have to actually be there to believe it, well , now I can just take a guys word as I have some great experiances too.

NMHUNTNUTT,

Thats the most diplomatic thing I've
ever heard. You should run for office.
I would vote for you. That had to be hard
to type. I respect the heck out of you from
other forums. Bless you, your a good man.

Larry

I was still hunting once when a small 3 point stood up from a clump of brush and I shot him. Almost immediately another larger 3 point stood up from the same brush pile, so I shot him too!

It was in California and I had two tags. Oh, and it was with a rifle. It sure felt good though!

Steve

I shot two whitetail does last year with my muzzy. Time between was as fast as I could load another ball and powder.

Not sure I would do it on a bow hunt though, unless I could see the first animal was dead and there wasn't much tracking involved.

Got two turkeys with one shot last fall. Clean pass thru one, deflects off a tree and sticks another. No lie...
Mike

2 toms last year with one shot too...with a shotgun...2 tags
my buddy who was hunting with me also killed 2 with one shot at the same time...2 shots, 4 turkeys, season over for us in a day and a half.

My version of LUCK! Few years back opening season was on a Thursday, I had THREE archery tags, buck, bull & bear. Long story short, Thursday afternoon, 5x5 buck at 20yds. pick up the arrow wash it off perfect condition, Friday afternoon, 6'3" blackie at 10yds same arrow, pick up arrow wash it off perfect condition, Saturday morning 5x5 bull same arrow at 50yds. arrow has since been retired!! Beautiful sight in the back of my then brand new HD2500 Chevy. I'll try to scan and download photo

THOUGHT I WAS SHOOTING THE SAME BUCK TWICE ....... TWO DEAD BUCK IN YRDS OF EACH OTHER(B-2 TWO TAGS). My bud's were so jealous ..... (2nd year hunting deer seriously)
rm

You must be the luckiest guy around or completely full of it. Lets see some pics of these amazing animals.

These stories (espically huntercamerons)remind me of the time that Cristy Brinkley and I were just about to finish when in walks Carmen Electra and asks to join in. Then I woke up and there stood Kiera Knightley. It was amazing.

I've actually had it happen twice now with a bow. First time was 4 years ago, we had three large bulls opening morning spotted together and with the steep terrain we knew we couldn't get on them before they went into the timber to bed. So we watched carefully where they went in, snuck down there in mid day and set up. As soon as the shadows began to form I started to cow call. The first bull came out (5 pt) and walked by my buddies at 10 yards. Both passed on him amazingly, especially since neither had ever killed an elk. He passed by me, so I let him go also knowing what was behind him. A 6x7 and 7x8. The 6x7 came out next and they passed on him also! He went by me and I wasn't going to pass on him so I shot when he came to 20 yards. When he went crashing off, the 7x8 got nervous and didn't come any further, but after I started to cow call, the 5 pt came back and my buddy shot him. As it turns out they didn't have a clean shot of them coming out so they let me have it. I wasn't sure I'd wish that upon myself again after 15 hours straight of packing meat uphill until this year on a guided hunt.

I ended up calling in two bulls (the guides call was broken) on the first day of our hunt this year in Idaho. The other guy with us had never bowhunted elk a day in his life. I had 4 different bulls going at once, the first that came in was a nice 6x6 and the other guy shot it at 20 yards. The guide went to get the horses and mules and 30 minutes later I called in another 6x6 and killed him within 75 yards of the other bull. The guide was amazed and said he's never seen that happen with archery in 30 years guiding. It was a long day packing, but was a crazy first day in camp that's for sure.

tc

This one time, at band camp, This buck ran past and I close lined him with my trombone!!:eek: And then another deer came behind and I put a flute right up his No really it happened!!:)

Cool stories guys.
Like he said, truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Okay here is my story of luck. Actually not so much my luck I was just there. A few years ago a few of us were archery hunting up on the Kaibab. This is a season where you can take a deer and turkey if you have the tags. Well one afternoon I had finished putting a stand up on a game trail and late, just before dark, a nice 3x3 walked by. I passed on him because that was not what I was looking for. That night when I got back to camp I told my friend he should go sit that stand. He had never taken anything with his bow and I was sure he would be elated if he got that 3 point. So the next morning he sat that stand while I still hunted and came upon a water hole that had about 25 turkeys on it. I could not get a shot but after they left I sent up a ground blind on that tank. When I got back to camp I learned my friend had indeed taken that 3 point. The afternoon I told him, since he had not planned on going home for a few days, and he had a turkey tag, that he should sit in the ground blind I had set up that morning to hunt turkeys. Well you guessed it, he got himself a nice Tom that evening. So here is a guy who had never taken anything with his bow before and then gets a buck and Tom on the very same day. How's that for luck.

Happened to me 1 1/2 times!

First. I shot a whitetail doe with my bow from a treestand in Georgia. While waiting for her to bleed out, I spotted a nice buck and shot him too. Little bit of work getting them 200 yards to my truck.

Second (or other 1/2). My wife shot a BIG cow elk at the crack of light opening day of the elk hunt in the Uintahs. While I was gutting her, a 5-point bull came walking right to us. I grabbed my rifle with my bloody hands and shot him 25 yards from the fallen cow. That was a LOT of work getting both of those the 1 1/2 mile to the truck!

About eight years ago, me and my wife both shot cow elk within about 10yds of each other.

This year me and my buddy both shot spike elk on the opening morning of the muzzleloader season. They ended up being about 1/4 mile apart.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-06 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]I have had it happen to me alot on Cabela's Big Game video games - if you leave too many in the field without claiming them it will kick you out!

I have seen a lot of flock shot and double wing shots at ducks and pheasants.

I once killed three rabbits with one shot with my shotgun - they were all within a foot of each other and were not running! I just aimed for center mass and they all three fell.

I knew of a guy that shot four deer out of one herd with six consecutive shots - he expected his "party" to fill all the tags! They weren't exactly happy with him but they did. This was back in the 70's and they should have turned him in.

I was reeling in a bass that was barely hooked with one treble hook and foul hooked a perch with one of the other treble hooks.

I have heard way too many stories from Alaska where the hunter was "fortunate" to take a brown bear while he was cleaning his moose out!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

A few years back, I was hunting a brand new spot. 7:00 am opening morning I called in a nice 5x5 bull, stuck him a little far back. I picked up his trail and was slowly following blood. As I crested a ridge covered in big pines, I noticed movement to my left two big four point bucks had risen from their beds to watch the bull thrashing just below them. The bulls comotion captvated them and allowed me to slip into 45 yards, I killed the bigger of the two. Opening morning of season and I had a 5x5 bull and a 177 5/8 muley dead by 7:30 am. Glad I had tags for other states that year.

On other occasions in KS and Texas, I have arrowed two whitetails and or hogs durring the same setting.

My story and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, I actually did.
Think I was 18 and Thanksgiving Monday was deer opener for New York state. Family had property in the Western Tier near the PA line and Peek n' Peak ski lodge. Went into the woods to sit a hogback with a doe license (over there the doe tag was good for a buck or doe). Two does come up out of the hollow and I fired my gun--16 ga. slugs, no rifles there. One went down and the other ran off somewhere. Gutted her, Dad and I dragged her back to camp. Next morning I head back to the same spot with a reg. deer license (buck only) to sit a little further up the ridge. Walk across a dead doe and found a slug hole through her middle. My one shot had gone through both and I hadn't even bothered to see what the second one actually did when she ran. She fell over about 75 yards from the first one. Gutted her, Dad put a doe tag on her, and we come back to camp with a deer and no shot fired that day. COLD weather kept her in good shape for a day--didn't lose a bit of meat.
Those were fun times.

Have had it happen 3 times with whitetails including this year. Not sure I'd want to try it with anything larger ( like elk ) but if you have the tag and the opportunity I figure it was meant to be. I dont mind the extra work!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom