2006 nv bighorn checkout

nvnative79

I saw the desert bighorn checkout today looks like NV had another great year.

1. 177 6/8's unit 267
2. 176 3/8's unit 253W
3. 175 0/8's unit 181

and 16 more killed 168+. These sheep scores are all unoffical. They are scored by NDOW staff when you check them in and have them plugged.

"and 16 more killed 168+". Wow, that's a change from a few yaers ago. Looks like lots of units will have tougher odds next year. Maybe it'll all even out.

Looks like Nevada is returning to the glory days of the early 80's. 19 Booners in one year is simply amazing! Too bad I can't apply again until 2014. Maybe my wife will get lucky and draw in 2007.

ramslam, NDOW will probably post it next month sometime. 253W had 6 rams taken and the smallest was 167 1/8 the other 5 were 170+. It was the best unit in the state this year.

Ryan,
Those are amazing statistics! Hopefully those Nevada genes you helped send to Utah will help out the UT "runts". I don't know if I will ever draw a tag in NV. but I will keep dreaming! Thanks for the info.

littlebighorn, the area we did the capture for Utah had 4 rams taken out of there, They scored in at 175, 172, 169 & 149. The smaller one was killed by someone that had a harder time of getting around so they weren't too pickey. So yeah I am sure you guys got some awesome genes with those sheep. Oh yeah I looked at the sheet some more today 19 rams were 168+ and 21 scored between 160 & 168.

Wow Ryan those are some big rams taken this year. How did your Ely elk hunt turn out? Two friends of Nelson and I both ate tag soup. Guess now my 300 class bull doesnt seem to bad. hide is back and tanned taxidermists says I should have it on the wall within 4-5 weeks. very quick.

I just finished mounting my 163 dead head, put it on an old canvas backpack i picked up looks really neat. Heres a tip for you, clean your horns then hit em with some linseed oil. really brings out the color and freshens them up. Cut the linseed oil with some mineral spirits first, use enough to make the oil runny. One coat should do it let it soak in a couple days. Made my dead head look great.

bp

Brian, thanks for the advise on my dead heads. My biggest one I found is going on my pedastal with my sheep mount. I don't know what I am going to do with the other ones. So your dead head scored 163 that's awesome I scored mine at 133, 141, 142 and 152. I would love to see a picture of your dead head. I lost your and Nelson's e-mail adress I have something I want to send you.

We ended up eat tag soup also saw them but my step mom had a hard time getting close enough for a shot. Never made it down to where you hunted. Did you ever get your pack back?

I saw the California bighorn summary today 13 rams scored 150 to 159 and 8 rams scored 160+ with the biggest scoring 171 3/8's out of 051. The biggest rocky scored 190 5/8's it had 17 7/8" bases and was only 5 years old!

Ryan.

Ryan

I'll get you some pics of the dead head i mounted on an old backpack i bought off ebay. looks pretty neat. talked to my taxidermist today...my elk should be done this week 10 days max. Got the hides back in record time this year. my email is [email protected] i think i have yours somewhere. hope the winter weather is kind to you northern guys.

bp

Hey bp,
How about posting a picture of that mount for all of us to see. It sounds really cool, and I know for a fact that Ryan isn't the only sheep nut on this site!
Love to see those curly horns!

nvnative,

Thanks for that heads up. I would expect some draw odds to shift around a bit this year in certain units near and dear to you and I. Now I'm going to have to crunch the numbers and do some serious soul searching. I'm planning to draw again this year :) and am pretty sure if I do it will be my last desert tag in Nevada (10 year waiting period plus who knows how many more years applying after that). So where do I want to spend it? Somewhere close to home where I can hunt until I'm tired? Or somewhere more exotic where... who knows???? Hmmm....

Sheepseeker, I know you're out there. Any thoughts?

I already told you my "secret" spot, but the guides fees
are steep so be ready. Is it legal for to go anywere other
than Mouse Mountain?jk

Not sure I could handle roughing it that hard with the accomodations. And I'm sure I can't handle the guide fees.

My real question is do I want just a book ram or do I want to hunt Mouse Mountain? :) I hear there's a new mayor of Mouse Mountain anyway. And can you guarantee me that you can find me that ram again?

"just a book ram" thats funny. As for the guide fees you know
all i need is a small vile of crown and i'm good to go. "Guarantee"? of course i can.

Hey SheepSeeker, I have a watering hole that has the BEST Crown in the lower 48. Can I get in on having the best guide in the state as well???????

NVBighorn, I know where I would put in if I could, still have 8 more years to wait. Don't know where Mouse Mtn is. It would be nice to hunt close to home, you can always use your last 4 choices for those hunts. I just don't like my odds for drawing the california bighorn tag I want 310 to 1 ouch.

Max, I never said i was even a good guide, but a whole water hole of crown sounds great to me,

NVBighorn & SheepSeeker, NDOW is going to open 2 new areas for desert 131 & 204 and are closing 202 & 206. They are also are closing 041 and opening 022 for California bighorn. And most of the rifle deer hunts have a early and late hunt now. Yeah you guys can see the proposed seasons on NDOW's website. NVBighorn can't wait until the NBU dinner let me know whats going on and if you guys need help.

i'll agree with that. Hunting on jefferson in Oct/Nov is a true test of indurance. Epsecially if you get a storm blowing through.

Yeah my friends dad had a tag in 2002. And it snowed opening day about 6 inches. We ended up getting a ram on the second day and had to get out of there as another storm came in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom