2011 & 2012 proposed seasons

nvnative79

Here is a link to the proposed seasons. There are quite a few changes no more late rifle hunt for deer in 192,194-196 and no more early rifle bull hunts in 072, 074 / 161-164 / 131-132 just to name a few.

What are some of the hunts they got rid of that you applied for?

I always put the wife in for the early rifle bull hunts and those late deer hunts close to home so now we have to find some different hunts to put her in for.

http://www.ndow.org/learn/com/mtg/2011/020511_support/22 CR 11-03 Big Game Seasons 2011-2012.pdf

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-11 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]Mid 101-108 rifle hunt? WTF? No changes to my hunts.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-11 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]I didn't see any dates for the "non trophy" bull hunt that's supposed to start this year?

There is one thing I see that I really like. Making the Bull hunts for 161-164 into 161-164, 171-173. That should help with all the people going to the same spot on Table Mt. But they did get rid of the Sept rifle hunt in there. There will be alot of mad people with a ton of points that wanted that hunt. I don't liked that they knocked some of those bull hunts back to Oct 22nd. There is still quite a bit of rutting going on during that time. I bet the kill % on bulls goes up quite a bit becuse of that. And a few new sheep hunts to top it off. Now we wait to see if (when) they give out to meny tags!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I was hunting in 162 last year during the early rifle hunt (I had a muzzle deer tag). I ran into six tag holders out there hunting bulls and I was a long way aways from table mountain. The elk out there are spread out pretty good now and I think most people dont hunt Table Mtn unless they have horses or hire a guide. I was there in 09 too and it was the same thing I think only one or two tag holders were hunting Table mtn.

I bet alot of people are going to mad that they got rid of the depredation bull hunt in 222-231.

>I love the area 10 changes!
>
>
>NVMDF

Ok but whats the deal with three rifle seasons in there now? Little much don't ya think?

I am glad they broke up area 6 and 7 seasons, and put some of them into October. There was just too many tags in too small of an area to keep all the bull rifle tags in November. On the Idaho border, the elk move into Idaho pretty quick with not a lot of pressure. I have hunted during the muzzle loader cow hunt in 061, and there are already a lot of elk sitting on the border, or on the reservation border. Add the rifle cow hunt, and then the elk are really close.

Besides, people are getting so good at finding elk, that it doesn't matter when the hunt is, elk will still die. I see the changes as a good thing.

I saw on the Elko County agenda that there is a proposal still for the management hunt. One of the proposals is to make the archery and muzzle loader bull hunts the management hunts.

>hunt. One of the
>proposals is to make the
>archery and muzzle loader bull
>hunts the management hunts.

I saw that reference somewhere too. What exactly does that mean? I haven't been following the whole management elk hunt issue so I am out of the loop.

Elko, why do you think 3 hunts in area 10 is bad? Just curious. It's not a hunt I know much about any more.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]From what I understand, the management elk hunt is for bulls with 5 points or fewer on at least one side. That can include broken tines. So a 360 6x6 could be shot on a management hunt because of a tine that is broken completely off.

Also, if I understand, the management hunt tag can be obtained every year, like a cow tag.

I am not sure I like the idea really.

I just think that there are certain areas where elk herds should be maintained for quality of bulls, and other areas should be maintained for opportunity. Maybe change the total waiting period to 3 years. If you want to draw a quality tag (350+ bulls), you know its going to take some time. If you just want to hunt elk, you can hunt bulls every 5 years realistically, and cows ever year around that, but you will be hunting a lower quality of bulls - say a top end of 300 or so.

It sure would suck to have an archery tag and not be able to shoot a solid 6 point bull though.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 12:57PM (MST)[p]>It sure would suck to have
>an archery tag and not
>be able to shoot a
>solid 6 point bull though.
>

Ummm yeah.thanks for the explanation. That's what I thought. First of all I think "management hunts" are stupid especially if you allow broken points to count as management. I can't even get behind the idea if was truly based on inferior genetics. But to REQUIRE that archery and muzz hunters only shoot "management" animals is insulting if not unAmerican. WTF is anyone to say that one weapon group shouldn't shoot the same animal as another?

Edit: OK, let me rephrase since I am now on a computer and not my phone.

Two questions:
1. What is the real objective behind "management" hunts? Opportunity? Genetic improvement? Trophy quality availability?

2. Will there be other, non "management" hunts available to these weapons groups in the same units?

I would like to know the tag numbers they are giving out this year for area 10. I hope they don't give out any more than they have in the past couple years.

Marcial, thanks for the info. I must say I feel better about the management elk hunt after reading the rationale. Still not sure about the broken points but I guess its a necessary evil. I do think this is a better option than just loading up the "trophy" bull hunts with tags forcing people to become desperate and shoot more younger bulls. At least you make that conscious decision going in. And if there are still archery and muzz tags available for non-management (trophy) bulls in those areas then I don't have such a big problem. The lower success of the "primitive" weapons will allow more tags (opportunity) but that may not be what hunters want either.

Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 04:37?PM (MST)

NVBighorn

I can see what they are doing with making 3 rifle seasons in 10. But I think thay give out too meny tags as it is. And by adding a 3rd season are they going to up the tag #? Or are they going to take away form the other two seasons to make up that 3rd? They keep uping the tags in there and it's become a "turkey shoot" in some areas. I know the kill % is really not that high. But there is a ton up people in there on opening day. I would like to see them do a 3 point or less hunt in there myself but who knows if that will ever happen. I think they look at 10 and see $$$$$$$$$$$!

I'm in the same boat as you on the management elk hunt. I thin it should be 5 point or less and get rid of the broken point deal. Becuse all somone has to do is shoot a 390 6x6 and break one of the points off and it would be "ok". As far a Muzz or archery only I kinda like that. I archery hunt ;-)

Elkohunter, This is what NDOW said for the reason for the three seasons in 10.

Antlered Hunts ? Expand Unit Group 101 ? 108 to 3 rifle seasons to spread hunter pressure and acknowledge that some public access over time has been eliminated, forcing greater pressure
on the existing public access points; begin Junior hunt on Oct 1, recommended opener of the 1st

I am guessing they wont up the tag numbers unless the deer are doing better then last year.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]Well I archery hunt too. So I want to have a choice of EITHER a management tag OR a trophy tag depending on my mood. Not just a management tag.

I think the three seasons in area 10 will help on the opening day crowding because now you'll have another opening day to spread the pressure out. The number of tags given will only be affected by three seasons IF they anticipate hunter success to change as a result. Lower hunter success = more tags to kill the same number of deer. I imagine, and I don't know for sure, that the late hunt will not change much. The pressure of the early hunt, and hopefully the tag numbers, will be split between the two early hunts. That's just my thoughts.

I read it. I'd be ok with it as long as they don't up the tag #. Like I said I see what they are doing by making 3 seasons but just don't up the tags.

Ya, I think the 3 seasons in area 10 is a good idea too as long as they dont up the tags. Everyone whos hunted the early season knows it can get a little crowded in some spots.

So what do you guys think...with the 3 seasons now in Area 10 lets assume they don't change the # tags and distribute them throughout the 3 seasons.

What do you guys think that will do to the drawing odds? Will the 1st season become the "trophy tag"...making the 2nd and 3rd season easier to draw now. Will this shift more hunters from other areas to 10?

I think the Oct 1 hunt will be a difficult one to draw. The 2nd hunt should be much easier to draw and the odds on the late hunt will stay about the same.

I like the change!

I truly think the management bull hunts allowing for the broken antlers is a nightmare waiting to happen. Didn't Utah try that for a year or so and decide it was not effective so they dropped it?

I can see why they dropped the 231 depredation hunt though, it really wasn't serving it's intended purpose. Everybody I knew who drew a tag was trying to kill a big bull. They should have made it a cow only tag and it would have worked better.

Management tags would work just fine if they would have the tags in August. then you do not have to worry about the big bulls that are broken, and the bulls that are supposed to get killed do. I am from Utah, and there were a lot of bulls killed that were not legit management bulls. Good six points with broken points are not what this hunt is supposed to be about. I still think some management tags would be great, but the timing of the year is the key to success.

coyoteslayer

I never really thought of it like that. But your right. Time of year will be the key.

As for the responses that say I hope "they" don't up the tags. They NDOW don't set these things, we the people have a say then the wildlife commission sets everything. NDOW only makes suggestions and recommendations. So don't ##### if you don't go to the meetings. I have been fighting for years to raise the elk cap numbers in different units with almost no other help. I fight every year for more archery tags and all things that benefit archers. I also fight to have less tags, but we have many opportunity hunters on the board. As I would prefer quality. Sportsmen need to get involved!!!!! If you want less tags go speak up!! Meeting tonight in Elko Go.

PIW, Silver State, and Wildlife Heritage Tags

Any idea what the silver state hunt tag is? Are they planning to raffle them or something?

The Silver State Tag is basically the poor man's Heritage tag.

Rather than getting it at an auction, there is a seperate raffle for the tag. It costs $20 to enter the raffle.

From what I understand, this is totally seperate from the normal draw, no bonus points, one number drawn, and same rules as the normal Heritage tag.

The number of tags are taken away from the Heritage tag, so half go to Heritage, half go to Silver State.

The only way the management bull hunt will work is by having it early like said above. This would not hurt the herd it would increase the odds of killing a good mature bull without broken points. how many have had a hard time finding good bulls that are not broken in the late hunts? If there are fewer bulls there would be less bulls that are broken during the late hunts. I know no one wants less elk on the mountain but to maintain the trophy quality get rid of some of the smaller inferior bulls so the big bulls can be the ones that breed the cows and dont have to fight so much and get all broken up.
As far as getting rid of the early season rifle bull hunts it is a good thing look at what is happening in Utah alot of the units there are getting all shot out because there are too many mature bulls being killed. Put the most successful weapon hunt during the easiest time to hunt elk that makes alot of sents. These are just my opinions Im sure alot will dissagree with me but opinions are like ### holes everyone has one.

I see some positive changes in these regs. The oct 22 opener for the Jarbridge elk hunts is kool. I'm on time-out-time myself but stayed away from these hunts in the past because of the late start dates.

There are a couple of other gems in there too.

As a Californian, I admire how Nevada manages their herds. And you guys complain????

I did not know that they eliminated the early rifle cow hunts in a lot of those units. That will be nice. Now NDOW will have to increase the tags in the last seasons to keep the numbers in check, and put even more pressure on the wintering herds. These commissioners have no clue.

I didn't read anything about the proposal for a early, mid, and late rifle hunt in area 10, so I guess that means it was approved. I don't know what to think of this. I see some good and bad things. I think it gives more opportunity and spreads the hunters out. This could be a good thing. I wonder if a few more deer will get killed this way. I think it would be good if they did these 3 hunts, but scaled the tags back a little bit. Will be interesting for sure. Also, adds one more choice on your apps for those like me who put in mostly area 10. Good luck in the draws. Im starting to get a little excited already.

This is crazy!

"Contrary to NDOW?s recommendation to prevent a conflict of having two different weapon class hunts for a single species occurring at the same time, the commission approved an antlered elk muzzleloader and antlerless elk any legal weapon (rifle) to run concurrent in October in eastern Elko County units."

I sure don't think I'd want that muzzleloader tag.

I think its a bummer they wouldn't add more muzzleloader antelope units. I'd like to have one of those tags.

No expert on Nevada elk BUT while scouting during cow season for my muzzy hunt 2 years ago, the only cow hunters I saw were on the roads.

I hiked a trail (old road) which is now wilderness on Grafton. It had rained 6 days earlier. Not a single human track. And cow season and early deer seasons were open. And there were over 100 elk in the basin 2 1/2 miles up the trail/road. Based on my limited experience, the cow hunters are not an issue.

>No expert on Nevada elk BUT
>while scouting during cow season
>for my muzzy hunt 2
>years ago, the only cow
>hunters I saw were on
>the roads.
>
>I hiked a trail (old road)
>which is now wilderness on
>Grafton. It had rained
>6 days earlier. Not
>a single human track.
>And cow season and early
>deer seasons were open.
>And there were over 100
>elk in the basin 2
>1/2 miles up the trail/road.
>Based on my limited experience,
>the cow hunters are not
>an issue.

I see the same thing. Most cow hunters don't want to work there butt's off gettig a cow.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom