2011 Quota recommendations

Will they set the quotas during the next up coming meetings or will the set them on a future date?
Are they still going to do the draw 48 hours after the quotas are set?

They will set the quotas on the 14th.
They post results 48 hrs after the draw is done.
however, the draw is not done 48 hrs after quotas are set.
Last year the draw was on May 26th I believe. with results on
the 28th? or somewhere close to that.

Thanks NVdrhntr, I guess I was hoping the draw would be done right after the quotas are set. I'm not very good at waiting.

NVbighorn,

It is supposed to be on Monday, May 9th. that's word of mouth.
Haven't received any correspondence confirming.

For some of the hunts, the total of the rec tags (for the unit)don't equal the total of tags for the species hunt. i. e., Non/res elk for example. Does that mean they are giving us more tags? God I hope so......

Pretty sure it'd have to be posted tomorrow by 9. Maybe it'd be Thursday. I'll keep an eye out. I'll try to be there.

I think it is operator error there.

BTW - The draw won't be on the 9th. The meeting isn't until the 14th!! It will be about 2 weeks after that so that they have time to get all the information in the computer and make a few test runs to make sure it is all working correctly. Too much information enter and double check to have it done in a couple days. The draw has always been right around the last week of May. After the draw, the results will be posted within 48 hours, then cards will start getting hit a few days after that.

Marcial

Sorry mevertsen,
NVbighorn and I hijacked your thread to talk about a County Advisory board meeting on the 9th.
not the draw.

Yeah mevertsen, sorry for the sidetrack. I knew what I was talking about. Why didn't you just read my mind? Now there's a scary thought. :)

BTW nvdr, not posted as of 9:30 am. We may need a review of nrs 241.

>Wow, they really are trying to
>kill all the bucks in
>10! Unreal.....

But on the bright side their going to save all the Doe's in 10!

Well not to worry then! Whats the deal on the goat tags? They went from 17 tags last year to 8 this year??? But they are giving out 4 rocky tags??? I didn't get that one.

There are alot of tags in area 10....but how many of the hunters who recieve a tag are totally commited to lashing it to a set of antlers?

Hopfully my wife gets draw in the Rubies this year so I can show her what a real hunt is like :) I think I might have spoiled her by hunting in Texas for her first few times. Heaven forbid she doesn't get a hot shower and a melting cheeseburger after every outing lol

I added everything up, and its the same amount of rifle tags in 10 for deer as it was last year, within a few. The increase was in the archery and muzzle loader hunts, which don't have a high enough success rate anyway to make a difference.

EH, I am guessing the goats aren't doing too well in 101 & 102 also, so the biologist is recomending to cut the tags. As for the Rockys the tags are for different areas that haven't had a die off recently and NDOW is recomending 5 tags.

Draw the tag first, then get prepared. Archery, muzzy and early rifle are the hardest due to the fact the deer are at the top of the mountain and its a long way up. Can't get lost, just go down, you'll hit or see a road fairly quickly. Last hunt is the easiest (snow dependent) the rut is starting and the snow has pushed them lower. 10 years ago I would spend 7-9 days up there. Legs are not what they use to be and now 3-5 days is the longest without a nice break in between. With the new seasons for rifle and them splitting the hunters between the seasons it will make the hunt nicer. Less people and crowding. If your legs are in good shape hunt the northern end of 101 and 102. If there not, hunt the lower end of 102 and into 103. Road hunting is only good during the late hunt or if you get permission to hunt private land. I hunted two years with a bow many years ago and it was exciting seeing all those bucks in velvet, but getting on one is sometimes a little hard. Go downwind and above. Good luck and have fun.

nvnative79

Thanks. I missed that on the Rocky tags. My bad. But I still think there are to meny tags in 10. Thats a lot of hunters when you add them all up. Just the same i hope to be up there with a bow this year. Good luck in the draw.

With that being said. I do like what there doing with the lope tags this year and in years past. They seem to be going up but slowly. And still lots of good bucks to be had.

Desert bighorn tags - Can someone explain to me why they are proposing giving out an additional 3 NR tags this year compared to last year. They want to increase the total resident tags by 9. So, aren't they only obligated to give out 10% of the total resident tags to NR's which would mean that only 1 NR tag would have to be available. And they are proposing giving one of those additional NR tags out in unit 263 for a total of 2 NR tags in that unit now. 20% of the hunters hunting sheep in one of the best units in the state will be NR.... Not sure I like this formula.

Nvbucks,

With a very quick look I see 223 desert sheep tags (201+22). 10% of 223 would be 22. Not sure why only 19 last year, should have been more like 20 or 21.

Also NDOW wanted to expand the areas where nonresidents would be allowed but I think the commission didn't vote that way. But you still gotta jam 22 tags in those same areas.

That's how I understood it anyway.

>Nvbucks,
>
>With a very quick look I
>see 223 desert sheep tags
>(201+22). 10% of 223 would
>be 22. Not sure why
>only 19 last year, should
>have been more like 20
>or 21.
>
>Also NDOW wanted to expand the
>areas where nonresidents would be
>allowed but I think the
>commission didn't vote that way.
>But you still gotta jam
>22 tags in those same
>areas.
>
>That's how I understood it anyway.
>

maybe I don'tunderstand the 10% rule then. I see that there are 201 proposed resident tags which would equate to 201*10% = 20 NR tags. Not the 22 they are proposing. Why do you have to add the Resident tags of 201 to 22 NR tags and then calculate the 10%.

When NDOW recommends tags they are tags, not resident or non resident. They recomemded 223 tags. Policy says 10 % of those tags go to nonresidents. Res get 90%, nr get 10%.

What is the deal with recomending 400+ more late cow elk tags in units 111-222 while lowering the bull tags?? Also, looks like more deer tags across the boeard in most of the units I apply for as well.

>When NDOW recommends tags they are
>tags, not resident or non
>resident. They recomemded 223 tags.
>Policy says 10 % of
>those tags go to nonresidents.
>Res get 90%, nr get
>10%.

Ya that seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I think they need to do like California. California only gives out one nonresident tag for sheep, elk, and antelope. That way us Nevada residents have more of a chance of drawing. But NDOW wants the money so they will continue to allow nonresidents to have 10% of the tags.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-11 AT 03:38AM (MST)[p]Be careful what you ask if you want to make it like in CA. We are not a good model:)

CA's one nonresidenbt tag for elk, sheep & lope is BS, I have wrote and told them as a resident... After all, us CA residents depend on nonresident hunting for those. It's a law that takes our legislature to change, DFG can't do much.

But, remember, there is no nonresident restriction on deer tags.... Wohooo!

Do a google search on USO and the battle from a few years ago over nonresident tags. 2004 I think. Over descrimination against nonresidents is toying with fire. It got fixed last time but I don't want to go there again.

I have no issue with the 10% rule. I was just confused how they actually calculated it but NVbighorn has squared that away for me. Thanks for doing that so I have a clear understanding. I still don't agree with putting an additional NR bighorn tag in perhaps the best unit in the state. But that is just my opinion.

Not gonna argue win you there nvbucks. Even tho I love to hunt sheep I dislike all the drama that comes with it at times.

So I've been reading that the quotas are supposed to be presented at the commission meeting this friday in Reno and approved or modified. Does any one have any info on when the draw might be going down?? I know they have their slated date but it always seems to happen earlier than that. The latest word I've received is that it is goint to take place next friday May 20th??

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom