2012 Ca. high country D3-D5 season!

B

BrownsandBucks

I have enjoyed this site for several years and just joined. I truely enjoy all the pics and stories of animals harvested. Each and every animal is a trophy and I commend everyone who is successful and thanks for sharing. We hunt every year in Cali and some years out of state. Took from 1995 to 2004 off from hunting after nearly being shot and just did fall fishing Trips to mexico. I got a little burnt on fishing because its also my living and we are on the water 250 plus days a year so I have enjoyd getting back into it. We have been very successful the past 8 years in Cali and I did 6 hunts in Utah in general units building points. This year only three of us filled tags out of five of us but my buddy really got us pumped with a nice Archery mule deer on the last weekend of the archery hunt. I don't get a chance to scout or archery hunt so come rifle season I go in a little blind but growing up in the area has helped. All public land hunts for us and this year we really had good numbers of animals up high so it kept thing interesting. A few small bucks passed on and alot of miles on foot got me to 10/10/12. I was sneaking along and most deer i jump are under 20 yards in really thick stuff and once again I jumped 4 deer but they blew in several directions and in the heat of it I never really got to see horns. They split up and were really snorting in an attempt to wind me but could not. They stayed just far enough out I never saw them so i circled up and away to not bump them all the way out. about 500 yds in another one gets up and this time I see its a nice 24 inch wide 4 point. No shot and another two times I got within 25 yds but still no shot. Well came back the next day with 2 of our party and this time dropped down into the area and around 1/2 mile in another deer jumps and goes away with the same results. Hidden and snorting at me, I dropped away and circled back under and through the heavy cover I see a rump. Upon shouldering I see it is tall and fairly heavy on the right side. Now in years past in similar situations in Utah rather than Texas heart shot I tried to better my angle and got schooled 2 years in a row on really good general season bucks. Still see those 28 inch racks swaying! Boom I thumped him and rack another and go in and first hear and then see him attempting to get up and I see the 6 inch dropper on left side! Damm thats not the one I saw yesterday! I thumped him again and put him down for good and see a additional crab claw and 2 one inch points on the right side that never really showed in the pics well. 6x6 without the eye guard! Super happy, not the biggest we have taken from this zone but never expected a dropper Cali mix buck! The bucks we generally get hold alot of Blacktail features and they have a behavior that is very Blacktail for sure. Some of the other boundery areas we hunt are where we get the cleaner Mule deer like my buddies archery deer! All public land very over hunted areas with 35000 tags! Some time I will share some of the others! Thanks everyone and until next year...

2532buck_2.jpg

1162photo-94.jpg

Thanks Guys, It was a fun season. I had a couple opportunities to fill my 2nd tag but in the heavy cover got schooled. These deer are houdini critters and even at 25 yds I often have no shot. Got snowed out of our area with those early storms and moved to some standby area's and missed the main migration but saw some lil guys and lots of doe's. The taxidermists was really over the top in saying how much of a blacktail this one was. I know that any animal taken east of I 5 is consider hybryd or benchleg but he kept going back to measure its face and pointing out the Black from top to bottom on the tail. Anyway I am really happy with my buck. Bummed we have to wait until next year!

I moved from N Calif, grew up in Pioneer, CA hunting D5. I moved because I was tired of small fork's and little 3x3's, but If I had found deer like this I might have reconsidered.

The only bucks I ever saw close to that lived on the Golf course.

BPK, I know what you mean. I passed a bunch of little guys both in Cali and out of state only to see slugs after the season or not be able to seal the deal other times. Where we hunt now could not be farther of the beaten path. My buck came out in 5 pieces. Was a big pack out. I will say I have eaten plenty of tags over the years and in the back of my head know I will again. I was fortunate in Cal last few years.

Your pal with the archery buck looks familiar is he from Nevada city/ grassvalley?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom