2013 WYO Elk Mount

mightyhunter

Very Active Member

My 2013 elk. My wife and I do our own taxidermy. I don't have any shoulder mounts and have never done a European mount. We just finished this and got it hung in the bunkhouse.

The bull was taken in a LE hunt close to home in NW Wyoming. I saw very few elk and only 3 bulls during the hunt. I was hunting solo in a spot where I had seen a very small group of resident cows while out hiking in the Fall and Summer. This bull was chasing this group of cows and they lead him straight to me. I butchered him alone and packed him out on my back. No grizzly problems on this hunt. I can honestly say as I approach my 59th birthday that I am getting too old for this type of hunting. Unfortunately for me, the solo hunt on foot is what I enjoy the most.

I took the bull with a .300 WSM and a 180 grain TTSX and he face planted from a neck shot. The shot was 250 yards. I normally am not a neck shooter but I was trying to stop him fast because I did not want him to go any further down the steep ridge into the bottom.

Congrats to you on a successful hunt and a solid bull. Nice work on the mount. And don't give up because you are getting a little long in the tooth - like me. Us Wyoming guys have to stick together and I need a few hard core guys my age to still be around.

Very nice. What did you use to cover the skull cap? It looks like a tanned hide. I am assuming the plaque is oak.

My father taught me when I was a kid how to do the same thing. We would use the tanned hide from the deer and make the plaques out of walnut.

Don't give up on the hunts now. Maybe just try a few more trips.

Tanned elk hide smooth side out on a form I get from Van Dyke's taxidermy supply house. Cheap rope trim on an oak plaque. I am not going to quit hunting just confine myself to mule deer (my favorite) and perhaps a sheep if I ever draw (14 points). I will put in yearly for a tough LE elk tag (close by) with little chance of drawing.

Awesome looking bull, OLD yep just take more trips to pack them out, Mules are great for kind of thing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom