2015 Antelope

laidback

5102antelope.jpg

There I was, trying to make sure me and mine were all put in for the draws we wanted. I had what I thought was a complete list all ready, so they guys behind me in the line I knew would be there would not have to wait for me; when she asked 'what about antelope?" DANG!
I never really thought about antelope. But her question drove me to ask myself "why not?" So I glance back, looking at the growing line of other hunters, flipped my head around and whisked thru the regs to find a hunt in area 54, because it is close to my house. I found it right away, she asked "and second choice?" I glanced again back, told her "no second choice."
I did not know that I had put in for one of the most sought after antelope hunts in Idaho, and when I drew one of the 25 tags; I got some ribbing from everyone who has heard me say that I have never been interested in them.
So, in addition, my wife had some pretty rough medical stuff all that summer; so my scouting time was 0.0 hours.
Also, because of her surgery I missed opening day, which was fine because I needed to be there for her, she is my best hunting buddy; and a prolific one at that!
I get her home from Idaho Falls and made her as comfy as possible, our daughter was there and they both said, "go get that Antelope!"
Ok, It was already afternoon, so I told them I would probably be gone overnight. "OK!" OK!! I threw some stuff together and tossed it it the Yukon ( my hunting rig slash camper that I sleep in ) and went to Fred Meyer in Twin Falls; gassed up and cleared the mileage like I always do when I fill up.
I was day dreaming about Shoshone Basin; driving out on Blue Lakes on the way to the hills. I drove past the old rock house I grew up in, and was reminiscing about the old days when I spotted about 20 head of sage goats in a hay field.
I had driven 11 miles.
Because the area was in close proximity to where I grew up, I knew who probably owned the hay ground, and even though it was not posted; worked the houses near and phones till I got a call from a nice man who was at the Twin Falls County Fair.
I had used my binocs to see that there was a buck, and from the side he looked to have some pretty thick horns; but me not knowing what I was really looking at; did not get real excited.
By the way, I am one of those weird guys that stays all calm during the hunt, but when I lay hands on the animal, that is when I get all wound up!
Anyway, the man who owned the ground agreed with my statement, I told him I was aware of the cattle in close proximity, as well as his nice pivot, neither of which I would poke a hole in. To my happy relief, he said "go ahead and have fun!"
WOW!
I pulled into a well used side road off the main road about 200 yards, parked behind a hay stack after I let the antelope see me driving in ( I wanted to look like the guy who was always there).
I stepped out of my rig, loaded my gun, and just milled around like I belonged there. They were all inside 500 yards, and they all spotted me and watched me mill around till they went back to eating.
I knew that if I could get off a shot, it would be slightly more exertion that my recliner at home, but I headed for the corner post for a solid rest.
Just like they had been practiced to do so, the buck walked ahead out of the group of does, at a perfect broadside walk. The cows were in a totally different part of the field, and he was between me and the pivot, but the pivot was looming above and behind him.
I lined up for the shot, It was quite a ways so i aimed just a little higher than normal. Of course the .220 Swift hit right where I aimed (that gun makes me look really good) and hit high in the ribs, and was high enough that bone fragments shot right up into his spine and he fell in his tracks.
31182iphonepictures92915605.jpg

I checked for movement, it looked like all that was happening was death, very little movement.
I looked at the does who were kicking up dust and making a wide semi circle around back of him.
Ok, now i am excited. I went over to the Yukon, with the dead round still in the chamber. I laid the gun on the passenger seat, and because this hunt was such a physically draining one, I decide to open the gate and drive right out to where he was.
I drove around from his back side, just in case. I thought I was seeing his head move a little, so I put another round in him right in his neck maybe 2" down from his skull to make sure he was not hurting.
97311iphonepictures92915607.jpg

I shot my first deer at 12 years old (1971) up in Antelope Creek with a 250 Savage open sight 99 lever. This doe screamed loudly for about 15 seconds until I shot her in the head, because the first shot as not perfect. I decided then, that I would endeavor to never hurt another animal again while killing it. I mean after I puked my guts out, I decided that.
Anyway after making sure the buck was not hurting, and cleanly dead, I walked up and then I could see finally that the horns grew almost together. I texted some pictures out, my wife and daughter said "you suppose he already killed one?" After checking their phones they laughed and said "yep!"
22401iphonepictures92915610.jpg

67083iphonepictures92915624.jpg

1278iphonepictures92915606.jpg

Then my pastor called me and said " do you have any idea what you have done??" He is an Antelope guy, he knew this buck was big!
I gutted the buck out, threw him up on the top of the Yukon and headed for Pastors house, worried about the temperature. (89 degrees)
29713iphonepictures92915627.jpg

I threw a bunch of frozen water bottles in the body cavity; but still knew we had to get him broken down and cooled off quick.
Pastor hit me on the back, his wife took some pictures and commented "Booner!" when she saw him.
20014iphonepictures92915628.jpg

I gave them the meat, and took the head to the taxidermist for a euro mount. He said, "you know, I have lots of guys who call me and say they got a 16" Antelope, but when we measure, it is never quite there...but you have a 16 1/8 x 16 2/8 beauty here that is not seen so often in Idaho."
Gun- 1975 Tang Ruger M77 .220 Swift handloads 63 grain semi game point.
Glass- Kahles 10x42 binocs
Guide- God, who ALWAYS blesses me.
Yardage- I have 362 for a guess till I google earth measured it @ 471 yards. ( not exact )
I had Fish and Game measure him up on a free scoring day in Idaho Falls, and now he is in the all time Idaho Record book!
Needless to say, I am an antelope guy now.
Hope you all enjoy him, too.
29987img5086.jpg

That hunt sounds a little more "laidback" than your rainy day deer hunt.

Awesome trophy man!

Thanks for sharing,
Zeke

I had what I thought was a complete list all ready, so they guys behind me in the line I knew would be there would not have to wait for me; when she asked 'what about antelope?" DANG!
I never really thought about antelope. But her question drove me to ask myself "why not?" So I glance back, looking at the growing line of other hunters, flipped my head around and whisked thru the regs to find a hunt in area 54, because it is close to my house. I found it right away, she asked "and second choice?" I glanced again back, told her "no second choice."

So yer one of those guys!:D Congrats laidback! Good lookin goat! Hope you kept a few packages of the meat. They're delicious!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom