.204 worth keeping

carbonnation

I was lucky enough to win a .204 at a SFW banquet. I am not familiar with this caliber. Is it a gun worth having in my collection? I live in the west and mainly hunt big game. I chase coyotes from time to time and have been known to shoot a rabit or two, but I am not much of a plinker. I already have a .243 , .300 ultra, and a 10-22. What do you guys think?

Hell ya, It'll push 32gr v max's at about 4250fps. It would make a damn fine praire dog gun, even yotes. With a .22lr and a .243 I think it would fill a big gap.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Trade ya a 270 WSM for it........

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-09 AT 07:54AM (MST)[p]I love my .204. Great caliber for yotes to p dogs. Zero recoil and very flat out to long distances. I was nervous about wind drift with the 32 gr but have found it to be very minimal.if you don't reload you might want to start. You'll get carried away shooting dogs. 100 rounds later you'll realize this could get expensive.I highly suggest you give the gun a try.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Its worth keeping, great little round.

just be sure to keep it away from that 300 RUM, they have been known to eat the poor little fella's:)

Thanks for the advice, maybe I will give it a try. I also won a .17 that has a 26" varmit barrel and a vented stock. I am not a big fan of the .17, especially a bolt action that is that heavy. Would you keep that one.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-09 AT 11:04PM (MST)[p]a 26 incher is a tad excessive, even for a 17 rem.i take it yours is a rimfire?

The cool thing about the 204 is it is a flat shooting gun and it won't eat a barrel like the 22-250. A guy had one at the range the other day, he was shooting itty bity groups.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

I love my 204. Thing is, it shoots like crap, unless I am using 35gr Bergers, then it shoots in the .3's! Got to whack a couple yotes with it this year. I also own a 223AI, and the two guns are very similar in performance, when shooting similar bullets.

I own a NEF Handi Rifle in 204 and love this little rifle.Accurate and economical to shoot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom