21 Archery Mule Deer & Elk

Run-n-gun

Anyone else going Archery hunting in 21 this year? Never been to the unit and had planned an early scouting trip but had knee surgery so gonna wait and scout for 2 to 3 days right before the season opens. I'll be hunting deer and could potentially help another deer hunter or an elk hunter. I do a lot of glassing and I'm an experienced archery hunter. Any general info on the unit would be very much appreciated.

I was told by a friend who archery hunted it many years ago that during the archery hunt the big bucks like to hang on or near the higher elevation private land. He hunted the fringes on public land but he said it was not real easy to do.
That's what he said.

Yeah I see there's a good amount of private land up in the Summer range and I'm sure with all the OTC elk hunters the bucks get pushed onto the private property. Thanks for the info I'll keep that in mind.

Helped my son hunt this unit a couple years ago during the second rifle season. I believe it was first week of November that year, when deer were already migrating as I understand it. Did okay, but we never really found great places for glassing. Much of the public land is covered by thick juniper forest and it seemed like some of the better places that were not covered by junipers were covered by people. It was still a fun hunt and an interesting place.

I was told by a friend who archery hunted it many years ago that during the archery hunt the big bucks like to hang on or near the higher elevation private land. He hunted the fringes on public land but he said it was not real easy to do.
That's what he said.
It’s about mid way through your hunt so this might be a little late. You can hunt both 21 and 30 with that tag. The continental divide separates the two units. That’s where most of the deer are at this time of year. 90% of it is private land. The few public access points will literally have hundreds and hundreds of people. Especially when the muzzle loader season starts. Lots of early season scouting and hiking miles away from public access points will give you the best chance at a good deer.

It’s about mid way through your hunt so this might be a little late. You can hunt both 21 and 30 with that tag. The continental divide separates the two units. That’s where most of the deer are at this time of year. 90% of it is private land. The few public access points will literally have hundreds and hundreds of people. Especially when the muzzle loader season starts. Lots of early season scouting and hiking miles away from public access points will give you the best chance at a good deer.
Huh? Obviously you know nothing about the area. And by the way the Continental Divide does not separate the 2 units.

Huh? Obviously you know nothing about the area. And by the way the Continental Divide does not separate the 2 units.
I was just trying to help without giving a specific spot. I live on the border of GMU 21. I’ve spent about 20 years working on the oil and gas leases north of Rangely, Piceance Creek, Douglas pass, Baxter pass, and all over the Utah side. I have hunted or been with family and friends hunting in 21 almost every year for the last 45 years. I apologize on the Continental Divide description. It should have said drainage divide. Didn’t mean to get into a pissing match. If you have a more helpful suggestion on where to find deer during archery in 21 or a better way to describe the boundary I’m sure everyone would appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:
I was just trying to help without giving a specific spot. I live on the border of GMU 21. I’ve spent about 20 years working on the oil and gas leases north of Rangely, Piceance Creek, Douglas pass, Baxter pass, and all over the Utah side. I have hunted or been with family and friends hunting in 21 almost every year for the last 45 years. I apologize on the Continental Divide description. It should have said drainage divide. Didn’t mean to get into a pissing match. If you have a more helpful suggestion on where to find deer during archery in 21 or a better way to describe the boundary I’m sure everyone would appreciate it. Thanks

Das what you get for tryna help. thats a toad bull in your profile pic by the way:oops:(y)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom