23 Youth Hunt 10yr Olds First Bull

gabe2hunt

A week before the youth hunt a friend and I scouted the unit. We went in through the Blue in AZ. At first light we played with over 6 bulls and 30+ cows in 27 just calling to them and spotting them at a distance. It was awesome and we were fired up!

Just a couple miles later at the AZ/NM line we were stumped? Just a couple hundred yards into AZ there was bugling and rubs. The New Mexico side not a rub or track. Crazy! We then scouted a rugged thick brush choked area called Saddle mountain and finely got into some bugles. I thought we had it made for the Oct 8th opener.

Young hunter Gavin and his Grandpa Gonzales set up camp near Frieborn canyon the night before the hunt. Wow! What a beautiful but steep and nasty canyon. We enjoyed a fire and mellows. The weather was cold and cloudy.

Opening morning we drove to Saddle mountain and parked next to a monster elk rub. We walked to the top of the mountain where the action was happening the week before. I began calling nothing not a peep! Stumped again! We went to the end of the line and hiked behind a close gait. There was sign, tracks and rubs but no talking.

During lunch My Dad and I talked about various spots I researched on various forums: Bull Basin, Powerline, 15/23 boarder, Frieborn near camp? We decided to try near camp. We learned that steep, rugged, deep, dark timber, rocks = Elk! Man 23 has bulls but they are in nasty places.

We heard bugles off in the dark timber in steep canyons and we hiked and we hiked! We saw lots of hunters riding their kids around in trucks and 4-wheelers. We taught our young guy that if you want elk you need to work a little harder then those who ride around in their vehicles. I'm proud to say that my little boy hiked hard.

We talked to a bull that evening until he lost interest in us and day light was fading. My little guy got to get ready and practice looking for tan in his scope. He had a good first day. That night more mellows, after a good pork chop meal. Grandpa makes one heck of camp cook!

Day 2 we were driving to the steep canyon where we had bugling the night before. On the way little Gavin spotted a small bull before shooting light so we had a plan to get out and hike into the area. It was a sweet looking area with big pines, meadows, ponds, and nice flat walking. That's the only problem "FLAT" I knew better. I figured it was too easy! Sure enough no bugles never saw the bull again. We found someones nice blind made of pine branches and a nice wallow 20 yards away with clear water! Haha! Well after hiking to he edge of the steep stuff we finally got into some bugling. We went for it, strait down hill! We quietly approached the herd and got into 3 bulls bugling but they were all cowed up. We called in a small cow and he decided he wanted a bull and passed. The morning ended with a hard climb out but well worth the effort.

Day 2 for the evening hunt we drove down just close enough not to spook things up. We hiked in about half a mile. My boy and I played with beetles and played swords with sticks to pass the time. We spotting in the binos from time to time. Grandpa laying on his back in the evening sun reading a book. Just male bonding time with three generations of elk hunters. Awesome!

We then decided to get to hiking. We went in another mile. We made a stand in a nice bowl with a little bit of water covered up with tracks. I called with no response. Like they say things can happen fast. I told my dad we have an hour before light lets hike. Grandpa was following behind and heard "pss pss" We all know what that means. ELK! Grandpa spotted two spikes apparently coming to my cow elk sounds. After getting Gavin set on the pods he couldn't find them in the scope. He said I think I see them! I told him don't shoot unless you know you have a shot. They ran over the ridge. I looked into the young hunters eyes and he had no signs of disappointment. I really wanted him to get his first elk but since he was happy, I was too.

It was go time now it was getting dark. I told them lets follow those spikes. We went to the top of the ridge they ran over and my son said man they stink! Yep rutted up nasty little guys! He laughed! Puzzled, "what does that mean daddy?" Nothing with a grin. I gave a cow call and a bugle rang out near by. We took off in the direction of the bugle. Again, Grandpa spotted elk. He said bull. I quickly adjusted the bi-pod, pointed him in the right direction, whispered do you see him in the scope. He said no. I Cow called and watched in the binos. The fired up bull breathing hard and staring a hole right though us. My dad said he's moving to the right. I heard my boy say, "Daddy I see him!" Are you sure? He said yes. Flash back his grandpa told him if bull comes out get him where the neck and shoulder meet. I heard the crack of the rifle and saw the bull running to the right. We watched and listened only hearing another bull bugling in the distance. No near by sounds. I walked up to see If there was any blood. I about came to tears when I walked about 40 yards ahead and saw a nice bull laying 60 yards below! Must have been about a 70 yard shot. Gavin ran down to me followed by Grandpa. He was a little scared of the smelly rutted beast. Papa and I were proud texting and calling everyone we knew. Gavin finally took it all in and we pointed out the small hole right where papa said to shoot him. We hugged and congratulated our young hunter. Gavin stood back a little intimidated during picture time.

By 10pm we arrived in camp bloody, sore and tired. Mellows roasted by the fire? He just looked at us with tired eyes and said more like bedtime!

Thank you! Grandpa Gonzales for all your help building Gavin his custom Encore 7mm-08, custom 150gr loads, sighting him in, putting a shot gun scope after rifle scope bit his eye, teaching him good hunting ethics, setting camp, cooking, hiking and Cutting up elk! Thank you for instilling in me the wisdom and passion of hunting! Good job my little man Gavin! We are truly blessed!

Side note: Not Gavin's first hunt he killed a doe Antelope just a month before near Santa Rosa, NM. Papa forgot his bullets for his 6mm and back up 7mm-08. Wally mart on coors to the rescue for 7mm-08 rounds with 5min before closing! Gavin has filled 2 out of 3 tags. Next is Javies and back to unit 23 in Jan.

74092011-10-09_17.18.56.jpg

38472011-10-09_17.16.49.jpg

VERY VERY COOL, great story!!!!

Congrats to all of you!, especially GAVIN, RIGHT ON!

My wife and I are headed to 16D this weekend for her first Bull hunt. Her rifle is set up just like Gavin's, a bit different caliber, but looks like a mirror image.

Get's me stoked. Jim

Very nice bull, Good shot and a clean kill. Love that type of hunting.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

My dad cut down the stock, narrowed the grip, and narrowed the forend to fit his small frame. Nice little gun. Good luck to you on your elk hunt!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom