S

SNYPER

I HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE A NEW SAVAGE .243 FOR $250.
W/ SCOPE

MY QUESTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS

1. IS IT A GOOD CALIBER FOR DEER

2. IS IT A GOOD CALIBER FOR VARMINTS

3. ARE BULLETS READILY AVAILABLE

4. HAVE 10YR OLD SON, WOULD IT BE A GOOD 1ST RIFLE?

5. IS SAVAGE A GOOD RIFLE

6. OVERALL WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THE 243.

IT IS NOT A .243 WSM, JUST A BLACK SYNTHETIC STOCK, NO
ACCU-TRIGGER.

remember "NO GUTS, NO STORY"

SNYPER >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>------------------->

1. IS IT A GOOD CALIBER FOR DEER......Yes.

2. IS IT A GOOD CALIBER FOR VARMINTS....Heck Yeah!

3. ARE BULLETS READILY AVAILABLE.....Yup.

4. HAVE 10YR OLD SON, WOULD IT BE A GOOD 1ST RIFLE?...Very Good.

5. IS SAVAGE A GOOD RIFLE...From what I've heard, depends on model I suppose.

6. OVERALL WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THE 243....Great for starters with little kick. Excellent for Varmint hunting. Moderately to quite flat shooting depending on load and barrel length. Easy to carry and short bolt throw.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I concur with Chef, but want to add that I think Savage rifles are an unbeatable bargain for the accuracy I have seen out of them. I picked up a .243 Savage with the plastic stock and cheezy scope on it from Wal-Mart on clearance for $205 a few years back, it shoots the 100 gr. Core-Lokt bullets like you wouldn't believe. The safety is not my favorite set up, and I really prefer the Mauser type extractor, however. Look at that safety before you buy one for your kid. Kinda hard to tell if it's on unless you are holding the gun, might not be optimal for a beginner, or the guy's peace of mind who is hunting with the beginner.
One other thing-if you consider that the .243 is a .308 case necked down to 6mm/.243, then you understand why those little pills zing out of there in the neighborhood of 3000fps for the 100 grainers. Good medicine for deer and under.
HB

I have used a .243 for years and love it. Have shot many antelope and deer with Nosler partitions. I have never recovered a bullet because all of them have passed through the animal. Flat shooting and accurate. For a beginner and a seasoned hunter, it is an excellent rifle.

With 100grn Nosler Partitions I wouldnt hestiate to use a .243 on deer out to 250 yards. Longer ranges however I like a heavier caliber that retains energy farther. My wife shoots a .243 and has taken a crapload of deer and antelope with it... never had to shoot one twice yet. Terrificly accurate gun for smaller shooters.

PS: I have a mint condition lefthanded Rem M700 BDL in .243 ... rare as hell as they were only made a couple years. Its a very fun caliber.

-DallanC

nope terrible, wouldnt buy it if it was given to me, in fact can i have the person who is selling its phone number so i can call him and yell at him for trying to sell it to you :) :):)
Casey

1. IS IT A GOOD CALIBER FOR DEER.... Yes I shot my first deer w/ a .243

2. IS IT A GOOD CALIBER FOR VARMINTS... Yup

3. ARE BULLETS READILY AVAILABLE...Yup

4. HAVE 10YR OLD SON, WOULD IT BE A GOOD 1ST RIFLE? Great 1st gun for young hunters to satr with

5. IS SAVAGE A GOOD RIFLE.... I don't know svage that well...am a remmington man myself.

6. OVERALL WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT THE 243. The .243 is a good all around gune for smaller big game( Deer-antelope) works well for varmits and plinking around.

My advise is to buy it and see how you and your son like it. That is a good price.

Good luck

Can't wait to see your boys 1st buck here.

IT IS NOT A .243 WSM, JUST A BLACK SYNTHETIC STOCK, NO
ACCU-TRIGGER.

Yes to all of your questions. I'm a big fan of the basic Savage models you can get. I've used the Savage in .270 and 30-06 for years. Remember, you can't shoot what you can't see so spend less on a rifle and more on higher quality Rifle Scopes and Bino's.

I load the 55Gr. Ballistic tips for varmints. Way accurate and over 4000 fps. I'd buy it in a second, good gun for you and your boy.

I purchased a .243 savage this year and love it. I do have the accutrigger on mine though.

So far this year it has shot 2 deer and an antelope and only one of the deer didn't die on impact. I shoot nosler partitions and I somehow missed all bone when I shot this deer right behind the front shoulder at 70 yards. The other deer and the antelope were both shot at ranges over 350 yards the antelope didnt move an inch, but the deer made a 20 yard death dash with an exploded heart, liver and a broken shoulder on the exit side. I had no idea that a .243 could do that much damage. I know all of those organs aren't on the same line, but that partition parted and pieces went everywhere.

Buy it for sure and if you don't like the .243 you can switch out the barrel for around a hundred bucks to a .264, 7mm-08, .308 or a .338. Check out switchbarrel.com. There is no other rifle that allows you to have the barrel changed so easily. Guaranteed out of the box sub moa accuracy too.

RW

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom