257 wby/110 grn accubond

Randy11

i was wondering if anyone on here has used this caliber/bullet combo in game at all?
i have a new remington in 257 wby ordered and really like the accubonds, i just havent used them in anything smaller than a 160 grn/7mm.
any advice on whether or not this would be a good round on mule deer and smaller game (mainly antelope) would be appreciated.
randy

I bought a 257 wby mag last year and used the 110 gr accubonds. Shot a big bodied mule deer with one shot at around 225 yards. And shot a nice whitetail at around 175 yards with one shot. both went in behind the shoulder and left the opposite side behind the shoulder. The one deer dropped in its tracks. the other went about 10 to 15 yards. Very impressed so far. you should also get a box of the 87 gr bullets for coyotes or whatever. they are fast fast fast. Good luck and enjoy.

Every time I am in Sportsmans I try to buy some, but they are always sold out. Must mean they are in demand anyways, still hope to try them out someday

what kind of expansion did you geton your kills?
and also have you put the factory load through a chrono?
weatherby lists their ammo faster than my nosler book lists any max load with it.

I'm not a Wby guy, by any means, Tony's that fellow.
But I've used the 110 gr. Accubonds out of my .25-06
with good results. Shot two whitetail, and a 3x3 Muley
in NM. Worked really well for me. I intend to keep useing
the load, for what that's worth.

fyi
lrv

Randy11;

I have not chronograph the 257 Weatherby factory ammo. Ken Waters did in his testing of that caliber for his "Pet Loads" book. The 100 grain Weatherby factory load topped out at 3,511 FPS. The 117 gr. loads topped out at 3,169. The 87 gr. hit 3,794 FPS.
Most reloading manuels have cut back on the top loads that they listed 10-20 years ago due more to liability reasons. Also the ammo makers have access to powders that reloaders can not get and these powders sometimes will allow them to get higher velocities and stay within the SAAMI pressure limits set for that caliber.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom