257 WEATHERBY

craggar

WHAT IS YOUR ALLS OPINION ON A 257 WEATHERBY LOADED WITH 110 GRAIN ACCUBONDS FOR ELK.I HAVE A VERYY ACCURATE 700 REMINGTON WITH THIS LOAD AND WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU THOUGHT.THANKS

I would go with a heavier bullet of 120 gr. and something tougher then the Accubonds in the event you get a shot that requires deep penatration.

25 cal is getting a little light for elk and you need every advantage you can get. Most of your 25 cal. bullets in the 110 grain weight and even some of the 120 gr weight are constructed for the velocity you get with a 25-06 or 257 Roberts and the 257 Weatherby kicks them out at a speed they may not preform as well and fail.

RELH

With a close shot at 257 velocities I would look for something that was sure to stay together .....maybe a Barnes.

I agree with shooting a more solid bullet. I shoot 115 nosler ballsitic tips out of mine and both mulies I have shot with it I found the slug under the hide on the opposite side, and the bullet was more or less a broken gob of metal. I would think that shooting an elk with it would bust that bullet up even more and not get very good penetration at all if you hit bone.

I only killed one Elk with mine, and that was with the Barnes 115 TSX. One shot on a cow at 350 yards, I don't think I would shoot any farther than that, especially at a big Bull.

2a0fcsk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]I just picked up a .257 Wby that the previous owner was shooting 117 gr Sierra Game King handloads. I put three shots into one elongated hole at 100 yards. It's the most accurate gun I've ever shot. But, like the thread starter, I'm also wondering what is a good bullet for hunting? How do the
117 gr Sierra Game Kings perform on game?

GrizlyHunter

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]I have killed the majority of deer and antelope, 30+, with the 117 gr. Sierra gameking. The preformance was outstanding, but that was in a 25-06 that launches the bullet several hundred feet per second less then the 257 mag.

I would worry about bullet blow up on closer shots when using that bullet in the 257 mag. The other bullet I used in the 25-06 was the Nosler partition and that would be the one I would use in the 257 mag. or a bullet built tough like it.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-10 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-10 AT 09:38?AM (MST)

The handloads in question were providing a velocity of around 3,150 fps at the muzzle. I think this is somewhere between the 25-06 and the 257 Wby typical speeds.

Leaving this Friday for a muley hunt so I don't have time to obtain any new loads. If I see a big muley buck up close I'll just sneak a couple hundred yards away from it, before I shoot, so my bullet won't explode. ;-)

GrizlyHunter

At that velocity you should not have any problem. Just plant it in the rib cage for a heart or lung shot and you will have your deer down. I stay away from shoulder shots with the Gameking bullet, I am also more of a meat hunter then a trophy hunter and I do not like blowing away a lot of meat on a shoulder hit.

RELH

>Just plant
>it in the rib cage
>for a heart or lung
>shot and you will have
>your deer down. I stay
>away from shoulder shots with
>the Gameking bullet, I do not like
>blowing away a lot of
>meat on a shoulder hit.
>

>RELH

Exactly my plan!

GrizlyHunter

Just wondering , but what is the recoil like on the Wthby Mag vs. the 257 Roberts? And is looking at the .240 Wthby for deer and antelope too light and is the recoil heavy for a small framed 12 yr old girl?

The recoil of the 257 WBY is nothing, it's a far better and more popular round than the 240 WBY.

In my opinion the 257 is a poor choice for elk unless you're a great shooter and willing to pass anything but clean shots. most guys say they are until it comes to the nut cutting and then they'll shoot at whatever they can see. if for some reason you just have to use a 25 on elk at least use a 120 gr premium bullet.

I have a 257 Weatherby in a moderatly heavy custom gun. It doesn't kick alot but it is more that a small 12 year old girl should be introduced to.
Start her in a 243 with 80 gr slugs

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom