.270 load

Randy11

i recently bought a new scope for my first gun, a model 700 .270, and am planning on using it for our annual speedgoat and muley hunt. I want to get a new load for it though being as all i have now is 150 grainers i used to use for elk. are the 100-grain bullets adequate for a big muley at 400 yards or do i want to stick with something in the 130 weight?

Why not just shoot the 150's you already have? Unless they are an un-accurate load I would just use them for your hunt.

beavis.gif

62 grs of H1000 130 nosler bt 20thousands off the lands start lower and work up!
4209712115a8bdc2.jpg

Just wanting to get something that shoots a bit flatter maybe. The 150's worked great on elk but ive never used them at long distances.

I just did tom tinkering with my ballistic program.......

A 130 grain nosler ballistic tip with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps only has 4" less drop @ 500 yards compared to a 150 grain ballistic tip @ 2800 fps.

I would shoot what you have and see where the POI is.

beavis.gif

Take a look at the 140gr bullet, it's something in between. I use to shoot 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips out of my .270 BAR. I recently (thanks to this site) fell in love with Hornaday Interlocks. I just loaded some 140gr up sor my .270 WSM but I have not tried them yet. I have taken two mule deer and several blacktail with a 140gr bullet out of my standard .270. Personally the 140gr bullet is my choice of bullet in the .277 caliber.

Good Luck

270 in Remington 700 BDL 22" barrel.

130 grain Nosler Partition, 56 grains of IMR 4831. Leaves the barrel at 3000 fps. Deadly on deer.

Dan

If the 150's are already shooting good i would just stick with them... But if you are like everybody else you are wanting to try something different just cause. If you are really wanting to work up a completely new load, i would stick to the 130 grain platform b/c that is the bullet the 270 was designed around. It will be faster and flatter until you get to extended ranges over 400 yards, which is where the heavier bullet will begin to to shine and it will really glisten over 600. Plus 130 grains is more than enough for the speedgoats and plenty big enough for muleys.

The 130 or 140 are great for deer but I would stick to a good 150 for elk. nobody loves the 270 more than me but for elk it's OK but not great. that should get some hate mail, but it's true.

i shoot 140 gr hornadys with a whole buncha 4350 behind it. works great for everything. even elk. been thinking of trying some 130 interbonds. even bought a box but haven't loaded em yet. maybe i'll try em in my spare rifle. my ol' man has shot enough big bull elk with 130 gr sierras for me to know that they work fine too. it's all in the marksman.

The 270 on elk is like pulling a 23 foot stock trailer with a Toyota , sure it will work but it's not the best choice. I agree if you're a good shot and are willing to pass on iffy shots it works fine, but most guys talk a good show but when it comes down to the wire they take any shot they get. all the hunters I know who started hunting elk with their trusty 270 use something else today, but still love it for deer. I'm not running down the 270 but when a a new elk hunter ask if a 270 is good elk round I'd say no and telling him otherwise is setting him up for a bad experience.

hahahaha. tell me another one. .270's are for riflemen. all the other stuff is for the rest of ya.

For over 30 years my favorite load was 60 gr. of H. 450 and a 130 gr. Nosler partition. Left the barrel just a little over 3000 fps., and you could cover the first 3 shots with a dime. Now they quit making 450, and I didn't have any reserve, I have swithed to IMR 4320. About 49.5 gr.. Still 1" moa, butjust not as accurate as the 450, bout same velocity. I have hunted with my 270 since 1969 and never felt undergunned. Of course I cut my teeth, reading Jack Oconner books might have influenced some.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom