.270 loads

sremim

Very Active Member
I'm going to try to get some bullets loaded for my wife's .270 this summer. I'm going with Nosler Accubonds but can't decide on what size to get. Should I get 130 or 140gr? She will be shooting at elk with it this winter. I've seen some people say 10gr doesn't really make that much of a difference. Anybody have any accubond load mixes you've had good luck with? Thanks.

sremim: I have 250 rounds of 270 Accubonds in 130gr. in unopened boxes if you are interested in purchasing them from me. I would give you a great deal of 50% off the going rate and you pay the shipping. I purchased all these to load and then here in Calif. a couple years back CADFG made a large area of hunting go to no lead bullets due to the Condor's range for breeding. So we just converted everything over to the Nosler E-Tip's. That way we do not have to re-sight everything when we want to hunt for different game or in different areas...

I know of plenty of old timers that killed plenty of elk with 243's and that is a pretty small bullet "weight wise". I don't think that 10gr. difference is that big a deal. It is all about shot placement. Double lung that elk with a well placed shot and they are going down. If I can kill'm with a bow I think anything you use out of that 270 would be fine. P.M. me if you are interested. The bullets are just sitting there gathering dust on my shelf. I figured we would just let the Grandkids blow them up on the range but if you want them PM me.

))))------->

Our Load for the 270 was IMR4064 47.0gr. 3050 ft/sec. velocity. That is what shot best in all our 270 rifles.

Good Luck
))))------->

Since the 270 is marginal on elk anyway go with a 150.

Stay thirsty my friends

Yeah it might. For strictly elk hunting I'd go with 150's. I've killed em just as dead with 130's too.

I'm wanting something for her to shoot deer and antelope as well. I don't want to have to load and make adjustments for different sizes every year. I've read where people say the 130's are enough, and others say go bigger. Decisions, decisions!

I have been shooting a 270 for many years, and it is my 'go to' gun. I would recomend going to a 140 gr. bullet. For elk, the heavier the bullet, the better in marginal calibers. I now use a 140 gr bullet for everything. Most 270's, prefer a slower burning powder, to get the best performance. I like H4831. I have tried, IMR 4320, 4350, 4895,and seveal others, but my 270 prefers H4831. Before they discontinued it, H450 was my powder for 270. Its a great caliber, have fun working up a good load.

I have been using 150 partitions in my 270 for over 30 years. It is more than adequate for elk and anything smaller. My gun shot lights out with 58 grains of H4831.

I have done a lot of research. The accubond is a great bullet, I don't think an elk is going to know the difference between a 130 or 140 bullet.

Call Nosler, they are very helpful. And would probably settle any doubts.

I have been hunting elk with my 270 for over 20 years and have yet to have a bad experience using 130 or 140 grain slugs. That might be because I have not found a load with the 150's that my rifle likes. As has been said stick with a slow burning powder and you should do fine. I mainly use H4831SC but have used H4350 with good success also.

400bull

I've tried H4831 several times and never got the velocity the manuals published. I've had very good luck with the IMR version.

The 270 shines with 130 grain bullets. Its right there where speed and efficiency are maximized. If I were to go deer or antelope hunting with it, than any 130 grain bullet will work. If I were going elk hunting, than I would make sure I was shooting 130 grain barnes (or equivalent tough bullet made to penetrate). I believe a 130grain barnes will outperform a 140 or 150 softpoint on elk any day from a 270.

I think the accubonds perform exactly like the partitions as far as weight retention goes. Never less than 60%, and rarely more than 80%.

I can't imagine 10 grains really makes much of a difference though.

Yep, 130gr Barnes would be a good way to go but if i were shooting a 270 Winny, i'd try to build my muley-elk, whatever, do it all load, with a healthy dose of 4350 and 140 gr Accubonds! Tuff to beat!!

Good luck with it!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try a few loads with both 130 and 140 and see what turns out the best.

id go with the 130's. they are faster and flatter shooting. plenty of bullet to take down and elk. heck when my dad rifle hunts he uses a 243 even on elk, and has done very well with it.

A 243 is a great cartridge and I am sure it can kill an elk, but I believe it is a definate handicap on even Mule Deer sized game.

My dad has shot a ton of antelope with a 243 and 100 grain core-lokts. not one bullet ever exitted, and this includes more than a few broadside ribcage lung shots.

On elk you better sneak it between ribs and pray it makes it to the offside lung.

I am certain that an elk shoulder could stop the above mentioned bullet/load.

I believe a tough 130grainer in a 270 is a significant step up from a 243. 270 with tough 130 grain bullet is my minimum for elk. (and I will never use it again because I don't have to)

I do believe its the best caliber to start out a kid on and is also good for first time hunter/shooters because I have a lot of respect for its abilities and lack of recoil. (I would rather have it than a 308 any day)

LAST EDITED ON May-09-12 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]lol not sayin id go grab the 243 for elk, but my pops it getting to be an old timer.hes pretty stuck in his ways and doesnt like the kick of my 270.he has taken quite a few bulls with the 243 and hasnt had one get away wounded. he loves that old gun and wouldnt use anything else. you gotta him lol.
with that said i go for the 270 with 130 grain barnes tsx. i have done good on elk and deer with this combo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom