270 WIN for Elk

Hunter67

My wife drew a late season Elk tag on the Boulder, and am wondering if her 270 is enough for a big old Bull. I shoot a 300 Win Mag, but don't know if she can handle the recoil from it. What do you think?

My wife shoots my .270 for elk because I don't feel she can handle anything bigger. I went to a 140 grain light mag. bullet from Hornady and it packs a punch. Compare the ballistics to other bullets. She downed a cow nicely just last December with this setup. Congrats on the tag and good luck.

This subject has been hashed out many times on this forum as well as many others that I visit. You'll get opinions that range from no way on hell would I take a 270 elk hunting to the 270 is one of the best elk hunting cartriages out there. Over all what it realy boils down to is your convedance in being able to place the shot. If your worried about your wife shooting a 300 mag, then by all means have her take the 270.

I would recommened a well construced 140 or 150 grain Barnes Triple shock or Nosler Partition bullet. I have taken a couple cow elk with Hornady 130 BTSP with out any problem. Those big bulls can be a little harder to bring down some times.

Good luck and have fun

400bull

LAST EDITED ON May-02-08 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]I'd like to have a dollar in my savings account for every elk that done got dead from a .270 If she likes that gun, all you got to do is follow the advice from the above posts, put an good elk in front of her, and keep a sharp knife handy.

Good luck hunting!
joey

In my hunting group we kill about 15 elk a year through all the seasons on my place and on the USFS combined and I can tell you for a fact larger calibers have a larger margin of error. a horrible shot with any cartrige will result in a lost animal but a marginal shot with a 300 mag or better will turn out better as a rule.

If you're willing to pass on marginal shots and you're a good shot with nerves of steel a 270 is just fine, most people are niether. elk are tough, if she can handle your 300 I'd have her use it. if she can't make sure she picks her shot careful, you don't want a lost elk or an upset wife from wounding an animal and losing it. my 2 cents anyway.

270/150gr. partition/one shot/double lung(big target)/under 250yds = tag filled. You might have to track it for 100yds but he will be DOA.

I hear what huntindude is saying but if she shoots the .270 good, just get her some premium bullets and go kill a bull. That said from a .338 shooter. Son's taken 3 elk, one 6 point with a .280, all dead real quick.

I wouldn't be a bit scared taking a big old bull with a 270 with a good bullet. You've got some good advice already on this post. The only suggestion I would have is to avoid the shoulder. Make sure she can shoot accurately, and behind the shoulder or heart area. A 300 Win, a dead center shoulder would have no problem going all the way through with a good bullet.

Thanks for all the advice. We'll see how she does with the 270, and then decide if we should jump up to the 300 mag. I have looked at the Winchester XP3 bullet and i think that will be my best bet.
Thanks again.

If you're not a handloader give the Hornady Light Magnum loads a try. they're a little faster and the Hornady interlock is the most under rated bullet on the market.

Federal also has a high energy load available with a trophy bonded bullet that will flat out do the job. The Hornady load Dude mentions is also a great loading. Federal also makes some other loads with some premium bullets that are not high energy loads that will do the job. A friend on mines son has a 380 Bull on the wall he put down with 1 shot from a .270 at 300 yards and the bull only took 10 steps after the shot.

My wife shoots a .270 and is deadly accurate with it. She has taken several mule deer and a pronghorn with it. When she drew her oryx tag last year, I wanted to make sure she put it down. I took my .338 on the hunt and had her shoot her oryx with it. First time she had ever fired it. I asked how the recoil was and she said she never felt it. So my advice is, let her practice with the .270 (or .223 if you have one) and put the .300 in her hands when the elk steps out. By the way, one 210 gr. Nosler Partition at 306 yards through the shoulder stopped under the skin on the offhand side. The oryx went about 20 yards and piled up.

Shot placement and Bullet performance is critical in any hunting situation. If you have good shot placement and a bullet that does not perform well than you might as well have bad shot placement and Vice versa.

I have used my .270 on Elk and have killed a few all with no problem. I hand load and use a high quality bullets with proven loads for my rifle. I practice and practice way before and up to hunting season so I know my rifle and loads I am using at several distances.

Point is good shot placement from a .270 with a good to great performing bullet(Hornady IB, Barnes TSX or X,
Nosler Partition, Swift A frame,)ECT... is way more deadly than a poor shot from a 300 mag even with a good to great bullet.

A friend's wife killed a nice 5x5 elk with her 25-06 with out any problem.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom