270 wsm Elk load

SayUncle

My brother just got an Xbolt chambered in the 270WSM, he wants me load him up some bullets for the elk hunt this year. Does anyone have some good 270 WSM recipes for elk they can recommend.

My Tikka 270 WSM shoots Barnes TSX and TTSX really well. I just threw some 130 TTSX over ~64.5 grains of RL-22 and they shot great. I'll tinker with the charge a bit more. I think they are great elk bullets. A 140 TSX would be excellent as well.

Barnes for sure!

I think an all copper 130 is much better than a 150 lead for elk out of a 270. That bullet will exit every time on a double lung hit. That being said I have a bunch of 160g partitions I will sell you if you want em...just no point in using that bullet. (way too slow)

I shoot Berger VLD's 150gr, 61gr RL-17 out of a rem 700 3100fps. Shoots very well out to 300yrds.

i have an a-bolt that loves 150g berger behind 62g of RE17.
it groups in a pie plate out to 700, i just had to matrix the seating depth to find what it liked best. brass(not nickel)cases and remington primers.
ive broken elk spine with a factory 140g nosler accubond also, but it doesnt group much past 400.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom