270 WSM Loads

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
Hey Guys,
I have a new Browning X bolt in a 270WSM. I got some initial great groups with 73g of Magpro with 130g TTSXs. But after the initial shooting the groups have opened up considerably. Now I am starting over.
Anyone have a pet load for this caliber that "stacks em" they are willing to share?

I have a 270 WSM in a Browning White gold medallian I love this gun it shoots better than any gun I have ever owned. My pet load is..............Barnes TSX 140 gr with IMR 4350 58.5 grains.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-11 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]150gr hornady SST over 62g of RE 17. im getting 3200fps and a 6inch group at 500 yards out of browning A bolt.

I appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have anything else.
I am checking my scope mounts to be sure that isn't the problem, but right now H4350 didn't work well either.

I had really good luck with the 140 gr accubond in front of 60+ grs of reloader 17. I cronied 3280 FPS with my final loading and saw no pressure signs. My Mod 70 stainless grouped them consistently -3/4" which considering the little i messed with the loading, was pretty darn good.

Joey

ib..i worked up to 63g and the bolt got sticky, the cases started getting stamped, the primer mushroomed. figured id better back off a bit. i was trying to copy the remington accupoint, i measured 63g of what looked very similiar to RL17.

>I have a 270 WSM in
>a Browning White gold medallian
>I love this gun it
>shoots better than any gun
>I have ever owned. My
>pet load is..............Barnes TSX 140
>gr with IMR 4350 58.5
>grains.

This is the same load I shoot out of my Tikka with the exception of a few more grains of powder. One ragged hole if I do my part.

I am also loading a Barnes 130gr TTSX with MagPro for a Tikka and a Kimber. 68gr is the best amount of powder for these guns. While velocity only averages 2950 ft/s it is very consistent. Under an inch groups have been repeated 3 times now.

During the development of this load I learned that the bullet runout (lack of concentricity) with the Barnes tends to be larger and less consistent compared to the smoother non-grooved bullets. I think this is due the fact the bullet seating process is rougher due to the grooves in the bullets. A little work with my concentricity gauge found the problem and seems to have fixed it.

I occasionally get 0.006 out of round, where Sierra Game Kings are usually .002 or less.

Has anyone else noticed bullet runout issues with Barnes?

NMChem, Here's my thoughts to your post. Why would you consider a 130 gr loading at less than 3000 FPS out of a .270WSM a decent loading? Unless loading down for a kid or wife, you might as well have bought a .270 Winchester if you're accepting performance like that.

Joey

Not done. Turns out the guns are less than two months old and both are being used by youth this fall, so this is the first try to get a hunting load and should be good for them.

I know there is much more potential for speed, and I will be working on improving the speed at some point.

The post was meant to point out the benefit of improving the concentricity.

Mark

OK... But this "Thread" is about 270WSM loads and you stated, "68gr IS THE BEST AMOUNT of powder for these guns. While velocity only averages 2950 ft/s it is very consistent. Under an inch..."

Thus, my question!

Glad to hear that you're setting them up for a youngsters hunt!

Joey

I have had good results in my savage 270 WSM with 140Gr Accubonds and Magpro Powder. I think I am using 72.0 or 73.0 Grains. Getting about 3300 FPS and groups very well.

Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom