270 WSM Seating depth??

Ryry

Hello all i have a question that i hope you may be able to help me. I shoot a 270WSM Tikka t-3 lite and am working on a load for my 140 gr. Accubonds and was wanting some input on what you would suggests as a good seating depth length to get me going.Thanks for any help.
Ryan

In your tikka I would start at magazine length. In most cases that won't be into the lands but be sure to measure. If it is I start at .010 off the lands and work back if needed.

Ryry, all my reloading data is over at the friends that helps me with that kinda thing but as i recall, my 140 Accubond was started at .010 off the lands and it worked great thru my mod 70 classic. We got lucky i guess cause once that loading was cronied and put on paper, there was no need to try for any kind of improvement.

Lip_curl, scrap the 140 Accubond? What, are you nuts? :)

I could see if you are shooting targets, maybe game too, waaay out there but for practical range hunting out to maybe 5-600 yards, that loading is a natural born killer!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-13 AT 09:47AM (MST)[p]I have the exact same rifle, but have yet to try the accubond out of it... I have had great success loading 130 TTSX and 130 SST to 2.85 inches with RL-22 and a Fed GM215 primer. This is right about at magazine length. The shells will still function well out of the mag (any longer and I got hang ups loading/unloading)and they shot great, so I left it at that and worked up from there.

My guess is that if you went with a 150 berger, you might turn your rifle into a single shot to shoot them. I've never tried, so I'm not sure how they'd really fit in a T3.

I think you've got a great bullet picked out.

Well I'm ordering the hornady ogive measuring 6 piece kit and im going to get a hornady guide kit with the dummy brass to find my lands measurement to get me a starting point. I think I will be in business when these products make it hear.people told me not to go by my coal because the bullets are not all the same and to get that ogive kit.
Thank you
Ryan

The bad thing is I just started reloading and go figure finding the correct powder is tuff when you can't find any to try. I have 2 lbs of h 4831 and 2 lbs of h 4831 sc. I also have 1 lb of imr 4320 and 1 of h 4350.i want to also try reloaded 19 or 22. I just can't find much. My timing couldn't of been worse. I got plenty of brass and primers.i have 200 of the 140 gr. accubond.my gun loves them.

I have a Tikka T3 in 270WSM It has been very accurate with every bullet and powder combo I have fed it so far... Nosler 140gr.BT's, Barnes 140 gr. TSX, H4831sc and IMR 4831 loaded to magazine length all made 5/8" or smaller groups..

Soon I will be working on a load consisting of a Barnes 110gr. TTSX @ around 3600fps... Punch that into a ballistics calculator and you may change your mind about the 130 gr'ers....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

i shoot a 270wsm in a lft handed tikka. i handload 140 accubounds. they are really accurate it shoots .57 inch at one houndred with 60.5 grns of rl-22 at 2.84" total length which is 3175 fps

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-13 AT 06:29PM (MST)[p]Ryry, After a good bit of digging, i was pointed to Reloader 17 as being one of the very best powders to get what you can from the WSM case. In my Model 70 Winchester Classic with the 140 gr. Accubond, my loading of RE 17 pushes that Accubond at 3280 FPS with no signs of too mush pressure.

I'm not sure how mush faster i can safely push that bullet, i may find out later but for now, she shoots em tight and she knocks the snot outa what gets hit by them. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks for all the help guys. I got a load that shot a 3 shot group the size of a nickel at 100 yards.I went with 140 accubonds w 62.5 gr of h 4831 at 2.862 col.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom