270wsm or 300 wsm

JR

Im lookin to buy a Weatherby sub moa in either caliber. I have a mark V Weatherby 300 mag but have a hard time draggin it out to the hills due to it being my late uncles. Im lookin for a stainless synthetic SUB MOA to hunt with and am undecided on the two calibers. Ive read all the previous post on the 2 calibers and was wanting the skinny on both from the guys who own them.
No disrespect intended but Im not interested in numbers and opinions from the ballistic crowd. Ive read the numbers,HOW about recoil and performance on Mulies,Elk and such. Thanks in advance for any info.

I know you didnt want numbers but how is .41 Thats the group size my thirteen year old son shot with his SAVAGE weather warrior chambered in 270wsm.love the cartridge. Pick up the savage at half the price and spend the savings on quality optics..Just my .02 worth.

i orginaly whated the 270wsm,but being in the middle of deer and elk season had to settle for the 300wsm. no regrets.I have had the opprotunity to shoot both the 270 and the 300 wsm and both had no more recoil than my 30-06,in my opinion. Have hunted both antelope and elk, both were droped were they stood with 1 shot. The 300 does have a greater bullet selection and more muzzle velocity.If you are not a reloader you should thing about starting.Factory loads costing between $1.50 - $2.50 per bullet, but hand loads can be produced for less then 75 cents, and they are just as good as the high end factory loads.

take a look at any reloading manual the 270wsm,7mmWSM,300wsm,and 325wsm are all the same case just different neck size and shoulder angle.personally I like the 300wsm because there are some many bullets to choices from when reloading.My father inlaw bought the 270wsm and loves it.

Depends on how and where you hunt, what you hunt most, how long your shots are, etc. I've grown fond of shorter barrels and have left the magnums at home past few years. I don't think they have improved on an 06. But that's another thread.

If you hunt elk with it buy the 300, if you hunt only deer size game buy the 270.

It's the bullet diameter, weight and the velocity it's fired that matter not case , in reality you're talking the same thing as a hot 270 Win and a hot '06 , a little more speed but not that much. so basically the choice is the same as it was before between the '06 and the 270.

The man wasn't looking for info from the ballistic crowd but i just can't let this comment pass.

Huntindude said "basically the choice is the same as it was before between the '06 and the 270."

I'm saying, Basically the choice is the same as it was before between the 300 Win Mag and the .270 Weatherby "with factory ammo"

Pre64, Huntindude, and others have had their minds set against the shortmags since day 1. Their popularity is gaining, and for good reason.

I recently had a session on the bench with both WSM's mentioned. The 300 with hot handloaded 165's loaded at 3250fps did kick more than my 270wsm factory 150 grain loading at 3150fps, but still the recoil was not unpleasent in either.

The buck i took this year at 528 yds with the 270WSM didn't know what hit him. Joey

Thanks guys, and dont take it wrong but some of you guys are very educated and passionate about what you like or dislike about calibers. Gets alittle long winded and heated and im just kinda on the fence about the two choices. I have been hunting for 20 + years with a ruger m77 270. and have never had issues with it. Just lookin for a new smokepole to try and probably will go up to 30. cal so i can get the knockdown for elk. I reload 270 and 204 and will prob do the same with the new cal as well.I always learn loads of info from the ballistic crowd on this site.Thanks again for all the info directly and indirectly.
Ill post a pic of the one i choose when I get it and will prob have some load questions down the road.

If you're hunting elk (or anything bigger, especially at distance) I would put the 300 WSM on top. For deer size game and also elk, I love the 270 WSM.

The 300 just has more flexibility in regards to bullets you can load depending on the game you are after on your particular hunt. I would also recommend the 165 or 180 Nosler Accubond highly.

My favorite rifle is a 300 wby and after shooting over 8 deer with it, I am starting to think it may be too large for closer quarter hunting... I am going to pick up a 270 WSM very soon.

Those are my thoughts.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-08 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]I just don't think the WSMs live up to the hype. Plus, I'd rather go hunting with a piece of history (like a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06) than the latest target of a marketing campaign. That's all.

But that's not the issue here. If you already have a .270 then perhaps a real step up would be fun. .325, .338, .375? I may pick a circa 70s 700 in 06 and have it rebarreled for .338/06. Or, maybe I'll just buy the .375 I've always wanted. Gotta do something with my "stimulus cash".

Critters won't know the difference, long as it shoots.

Both WSM's are fine and the comparison is similar to that of a '06 or a 270 when it comes to a choice between the two . we're rehashing an arguement that's been going on since the mid 1920's, granted the WSM's are a little faster the basic debate remains the same. to say you want to talk about hunting performance and not about ballistics leaves me a little at a loss since ballistics determine hunting performance , but whatever I'll stay out of it.

In this case bigger is better = 300wsm. I have killed everything I pulled the trigger on(deer,elk,bear) out to 470yds.

YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP!!!!!.... its just like when i bought a bowtech bow and at the time owned and was a devoted mathews shooter.. I asked a question on a diff forum and my question got lost in the battle that ensued. Have fun boys but what Im gettin at is actual feel of the caliber and what you have experienced on the performance side. Numbers and stats are great but real life is alittle diff. Ive been a rangemaster for a law enforcemt agency for 20 years and also been involved with swat snipers and military snipers for years as well. The 308. is the prefered and standard round for police work with snipers but I dont see much in the hunting area about the 308. Any and all calibers have their place or preference.
Its about what you feel confident with and how much range time you have put in.
Ive known guys that have been real successful on deer and elk with smaller calibers lesser than the 270. and base all thier success on range time and bullet placement than on big bullets and lots of powder.
Im going with the short mag cause i want to and I like the feel of the weatherby. If it doesnt put up the performance that I expect or I cant have the confidence to make a sure fired humane shot on an animal that I cherrish to hunt I will go for some other caliber or weapon.
Happy holidays to all of you and hopefully we all draw the tags we put in for next year and are successful with what-ever weapon we decide to take afield!!!

"what Im gettin at is actual feel of the caliber and what you have experienced on the performance side."

What "you feel" when you shoot the rifle isn't what the animal feels...or doesnt feel for that matter.

"Performance" is in the numbers. Ballistics, powder capacity, bullet diameter and weight, down range energy, velocity...etc.

When it comes down to it, a well placed shot from a 270 WSM or 300 WSM is going to result in a dead animal.

Glad you made your choice. Next time, you could search 270 wsm and 300 wsm and you can read many posts just like this one for more immediate information.

Happy holidays to you and good luck next season!

I have both. I've very successfully taken pronghorn antelope, mule deer and big elk with each of them. The largest elk was taken in Wyoming during the fall of 2007 by my 15 year old son. He took a 340 6x8 bull with my .270 WSM using a 130 grain Nosler Accubond bullet. I prefer the 165 grain bullets in the .300 WSM. Both cartridges are awesome in my opinion. Shot placement is always the key to successful harvesting of big-game animals.

The recoil in both seem the same to me... just a tad more than my old Rem. 721 .30-06, but still pleasant to shoot. My .270 WSM is a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter. My .300 WSM is a Remington Model 700 XCR.

I'm headed to Alaska during the fall of 2009 for a fishing trip. I will be taking along the .300 WSM in hopes of catching up with a nice black bear some where along the way.

I don't think you can go bad with either cartridges.

Meander,thank you for the response.... That is what I was lookin for in this question!!!!!
For the other dudes (numbers and ballistics) keep up the great work. Info is very valuable and saves most of us research time.

I know that you pretty much have your mind made up, but for what it's worth I have the 300 wsm and love it. I'm shooting 3/4" groups with a handloaded 180 Accubond. The gun has killed 1 deer 1 cow elk, and 1 364" bull elk. Each animal has dropped in it's tracks. It is the Remington 700 SPS, with a trigger job and a Vais muzzle brake. The brake makes the recoil compareable if not less than my browning BLR .243. I love this gun.

}}-SLIVER-->

Go with the 270 wsm. Having said that I'm currently shooting a 300 wm and prior to that a 7mm mag.The older I get the more I am becoming fan of the lighter recoils. I don't care what anyone tells you, the .270 is ample for any north american big game.I'm in the process of building a 6.5-284 which has similar recoil to that of a .270

You have a tough choice to make cuz a .300 short or long action is a dam fine cartridge.Just do your self a favor and put a muzzle break on it.

Mike

i have shot my buddys ruger 300wsm and it is a mule kickin sob. compared to a 300's "push", the 300wsm is more of a "snap". i killed a 4 pt. and a cow this year with a ruger 270 (130gr). both went about 10 yards and piled up. you dont always need the big calibers. shot placement my friends. id go with the 270wsm.

Hey JR kinda late here, just found this part of the forum a few days ago. I own a Weatherby Vanguard stainless synthetic in .300 WSM. Non SMOA gun. Have only shot Federal Premium 180 Accu-Bonds in it. 3/4" or tighter since new. Have killed a cow elk, black bear and a desert bighorn with it. My step son used it on his deer this fall also. Very satisfied with recoil and performance on game. Definitely has less recoil than my mom's .300 Win. mag. and her's isn't bad. Hope this helps!

If you're going to hunt elk go with the 300. Lots of great 180 grain and 165 grain bullets to choose from. Elk don't like the 300.

Well guys I finally got ahold of my new 300 wsm. Picked it up before x-mas and havent been on the pc due to traveling for the holidays. Now im in search for the scope for it and then off to the range to make some noise. Thanks for all the imput. I will let ya know how it performs when I get it put together and start playing with loads.

DARE I ASK WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE FOR THE RIFLE :)
pix1472774000.jpg

pix1472774031.jpg

pix1472774062.jpg

Leupold. A 3.5-10x40 would work well on that rifle. All the magnification you need, and no giant, odd looking 50mm objective. mtmuley

Ditto on the Leupold VX-III, 3.5-10X40mm. I own two Browning A-bolts with this scope. (270wsm and 300wsm) Best value in scopes, in my opinion. I think you made the right move by getting the 300. I love both guns, but use the 300 for elk or when the shooting might be long . I shoot 168 gr. Barnes TTSX's in the 300, and 130 TTSX's in the 270. Both guns group 1"-1 1/4", with me shooting. Maybe better with someone who knows how to shoot! The 300 recoils a little more, but neither are bad. As mentioned in another post, more of a snappy recoil. No brake needed for me, and I don't do well with big recoil. Good luck getting your gun dialed in. it's a beaut.

Don P.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom