284 Winny VLD ??

Ottersix

I'm not real well read on the whole Berger thing. I've seen the usual threads and such. Most based on the belted magnums. I have a 7 Rem Mag here. It's a T3 Tikka though,and not overly blessed with mag length. On the other side of the safe is my long action M700 custom 284 Win. It has a goodly amount of mag length,and a throat to go along with it. If you were me,and wanted to try a box of hunting VLDs,which weight would you start with? Mule deer / Whitetail would be the likely quarrywith the potential for Elk given the right circumstances. Thanks a bunch.

I agree 168.

I shoot the 168's in my 284, which unfortunately makes it a single shot, but it shoots very well. The only thing that I have killed with it was a barbary sheep and the first shot had it quartering away and I stuck it into the guts (on line for the offside front shoulder) It ran about fifty yards and put its front knees on the ground and I hit it again, broadside this time and that bullet went all the way through dropping the animal.

I skinned and quartered the animal with no investigation into the gut cavity so I cant speak to the penetration of the first bullet or how much lung damage it did etc. I am sure that gutting it would have been aweful knowing where that first bullet entered.

I think mine are going 2650 from a 23" barrel.

I have also shot 2 antelope with this gun, but honestly cant remember if I used this bullet or the 140g accubond...wow I must be getting old!

Thanks for the input guys. I've been getting that response on a couple other forums as well. I've been thinking about trying them simply because I have the mag length and throat to do it. I'm just not sure about the performance on big game. I bet they would shoot fantastic though. I'm using a 24" #4 Shilen 9.5" twist stainless barrel on a trued M700 blue long action in a B&C Medalist. In some ways I think I should sell the 284 while the round count is so low. I had it built too heavy. I would sooner it was about 2 lbs lighter. Or more. A more mountain weight rig would suit me more. Live and learn I guess.

I hear you. Mine gets neglected because of the single shot issue, but it is a short action light barrel gun that shoots well so I do like taking it on those long up and down walks.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot game with this 168. That is still a relatively heavy bullet and at these speeds it won't explode enough to prevent lethal penetration. (I would shoot a quartering deer with it).

I think it is enough for elk, but I would limit yourself to perfect broadside lung shots...and for that reason, I shoot 180g Barnes going 3000fps or even 225 Barnes going 3000fps. for elk, because I don't want to pass on a less than ideal angle....well thats what I would do if I ever draw a rifle elk tag!

I've found if you dont like a rifle, you are never going to grow to like it..Live a little, pop the bbl, sell it with the low round count and put an 8 twist 6mm-284 on it..If you dont like that cart, you need to check your pulse! Set it up for a LR varmint rifle.

I agree. The 6-284 is a real smoker. Would be a fun rig. I'd thought about sending the 284 to Kempfeld Custom and have the barrel fluted,the bolt fluted,and the handle/knob skeletonized. Loose the Leupold mounts for Talley,and skeletonize the mag box. But, it's more fun building/buying a whole different rifle. I suppose I could re-barrel it in a mountain weight pipe,but the barrel channel would be way too wide.

Ya, that all sounds crazy...just send it to me and I will take care of it for you. I am still young and can lug it around :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom