2b Early Archery 1-22

M

Maxprowler

This is my first time hunting deer in New Mexico. I understand that this hunt is not quite the hunt in Jan, But I just wanted the better odds to at least have a tag in my pocket this year.
I was wondering if anyone had any info on where to start scouting and quality of deer to expect. From reading other posts there are plenty of roads in the unit. Hopefully there are still places to get away from them. Any info would be of great Help !! Thanks

i accidentally put in for the wrong hunt and drew the hunt two years ago and im pretty familiar with the area..lets just say i never even drew my bow back..roughest hunt i ever been on..im sure there are a FEW deer out there in september but as far as numbers and quality of deer, i never even seen a buck on my hunt. i talked to a few elk and deer hunters and about 20 workers that were up there and they all said they hadn't seen any bucks all month...maybe theres a honey hole that holds bucks in september but i sure as hell didnt find it...now 2b in late november to january is a different story

Hey Max,

looks like we are in the same boat. a buddy at work got me purchase a bow late last year and then suggested we put in for some diy hunts outside the state of cali. low and behold I drew 2b early bow and he drew 52 early bow. i have learned that new mexico muleys are winter guest from colorado, kind of like the florida snowbirds (new yorkers).

a 20 hour drive to camp out in the desert sounds kind of odd but I may chalk this one up as a good learning tool.

when me and my buddy get all the logistics worked out i'll let you know when we are going. I will keep you updated on any good info i come across.

take it easy and maybe we'll pass on the same trail.

g

Unit 2 September deer hunts are the Game and Fishes way of legally snagging free revenue from the public!

I am reading all of these posts about September being awful and now you have me worried that my late October deer tag in unit 51 may have been a mistake....any feedback would be appreciated. I guess i can just herd them down early on my way from CO!

Hunt as if the roads don't exist, there are still resident deer that live in this area and I believe that several of the biggest bucks are locals, with a bow start at water and hunt till dark, expect it to be the most mentally challanging hunt ever.

it's not that bad a tag, we usually hunt the muzzy season and find quite a few monsters, the best bucks in there are resident deer although a few migrate in later in the year. pm me and i'll be more than happy to get you started in the right direction. brian

I hunted elk in 2B several years ago in September. I didn't see any deer. I was told however by another hunter that resident deer tend to be near the boarder of the Apache Rez south of the the highway to Dulce. Hope that helps and good luck.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom