3 rd season 2014 full moon

mdbrown

Long Time Member
whats your thoughts on applying or not because of the full moon during the 3rd season? im a nr with 10 points and am wondering what the effect might be.

IMO third season success is weather dependent anyway. If your getting the storms you want the moon shouldnt be much of a factor.
If you can draw a 3rd season with 10 pts I say do it before its too late. I mean with the creep and all.

I wouldn't let the moon dictate whether or not I apply for a tag or not. Like everybody said, snow and cold is important to push the deer down and get them moving a bit. Who knows anyway, there may be cloud cover and it be dark some nights. If its a bright night, adjust accordingly and hike in to you area extra early before it even starts to get "gray".

I'm a little different on my advice. I hunt Colorado every year and was there 1st, 2nd and 3rd season last year. I have been watching the moon phase very closely the last few years. Everyone has always told me that you will get weather in 3rd, which has proven most of the time not to be true.

If you waited 11 years to hunt, the one thing that is sure for this upcoming 3rd season is a horrible moon phase. If you get the big storm you will be good. If you don't, warm weather and a full moon does not make for good hunting even though it is the 3rd season. I like to at least control the things I can control.

Rich

i will be hunting deer somewhere at that time , even if its a general whitetail tag here in idaho.

11 years is a long time to wait ..... guess i have a little more time to change my mind another few dozen times. as of today im leaning to not applying.

I agree that the full moon adds a little more risk factor. We hunted 3rd last season in 23 and did really well on deer and elk. We had a new moon and snow. Perfect. In 2007, we hunted unit 11 in 3rd season, it was hot, clear, dry and a full moon. It was our least successful hunt ever and we only got one smallish buck. Like others said, snow and cold are more important than the moon, but if you don't get any, it's a double whammy. So, it all comes down to "Do you feel lucky?".

To me it would depend on what the rest of your season looked like. Are you going to sit at home because their is a full moon? Or do you want to hunt? I'm choosing to hunt the 3rd season. Your wild card is the 10 points you've got built up. If I had 10 points, I do think I'd consider the moon before burning them but that wouldn't keep me from doing a hunt at the same time. It'd be a consideration, not a detriment.

Another thing to consider that's probably more important than the moon is what the CDOW will do with the season structure when they come out with the 5 year plan. They push it back and you're going to want to wait. They push it forward and this year is the year for later dates. I think that's how it works....

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom