30-06 for Elk

C

cormanaz

Morning all...
I'm going to use a 30-06 for elk this year, and I'm wondering what the other 30-06 users, use for elk.. A in bullet grain and brand..

Personally I like the Remington "Whitetail" bullets or the Federal "Fusion" bullet. I would choose a bullet weight somewhere around 150 to 175 grain. That should do the trick.

P.S. I shot my Javelina with a .270 cal, 130 grain Rem. Whitetail bullet last fall. I shot him in the shoulder and the only part that was salvagable was the back half. He was at about 100 yards when I squeezed off.

180 grn rem core loct bulletts are a good choice you can buy at wally world for under 20$ a box. I shoot this bullet out of my 30-06 for everything fron antelope to elk. they are very accurate and provide good penetration on elk, complete pass thru at @ 200 yards. you dont need to spend 50$ for fancy bullets, you just need a good solid and accurate one. shot placement is the key no matter what bullet you use.

I shot a bull elk in '03 with a 165gr winchester, nothing fancy. 1 shot dropped him. I agree with caterpillar! Shot placement is key...

A lot of elk hunters who use the .30-06 swear by 180 grain bullets. Core Lokts are fine, but it is really hard to beat a Nosler Partition, IMO. There are many good bullet choices these days in 30 caliber, 180 grain offerings.

The above info is correct. You don't NEED a better bullet than a traditional core lokt or whatever other factory ammo you choose. However, there is a reason a lot of premium bullets are sold. Bad angles, unexpected movement on the shooter or animals part, etc... can lead to poor hits. In most instances the premium bullets like Trophy bonded Tip, Barnes Triple shok, Accubond, etc... will hold together better and give better penetration and performance. Especially if they hit large bone. Could be the difference between a dead bull in your truck vs a dead bull somewhere on the mountain. GOOD LUCK. Chip

165 & 180 grain Hornady Lite Magnum BTSP have worked well for me. My rifle grouped them both really well and excellent terminal performance.

My personal experience is with my 30-06 shooting a 180 gr Nosler Accubond and killing a 6x6 elk in Colorado last October. I recovered the bullet in the off side front shoulder after taking out a part of the heart and lung.

The Accubond is superb bullet for the 30-06 and elk.

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, NRA, and TU

i shoot the 180 gr win ballistic silvertips. fast, good penetration, i like them alot

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom