30-378 Reload Help

Spartacus

I am reloading 30-378 brass for the first time. I am using 111 grns of Rotumbo and 180 grn Accubonds. I am wondering what length I should seat the bullets. Any help would be great.

try as long as your magazine will allow to begin with, i found that protected points shoot better out of mine.

REDDOG, With all due respect, starting at SAAMI specs in a reputable reloading manual with powder and bullets used would be a better way to start. THEN start adjusting seating depth. mtmuley

mtmuley, why is that? is that not why we reload, to custom fit? the freebore won't allow for it in this instance, so say your loading a barnes X bullet, their manuel has no seating depth recommendation's, where are you going too start?

mtmuley, i forgot to mention that as with many other weatherby cartridges, there is no SAAMI pressure limit, nor is there an industry standard maximum overall cartridge length, so scince this case is so long, the magazine is the starting point, even if there was a pressure limit, how would you know what presure your loads are at? and if the post said "30-06 reload help" i would not have given that info, but for 30-378, it's just fine.

REDDOG, I think it is safer to start with the reccomended OAL, which in this case is 3.648 inches. If someone were to seat a bullet out to magazine length, then stoke it with max powder, things could get dangerous in a hurry. I agree, reloading is for fine tuning. I seat 200 gr bullets in my .300 RUM beyond max OAL, but I didn't start there. I am not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out safe loading practices. Do you load for the .30-.378 frequently? If so, I have some questions for you. I have a buddy that just put a 30 inch Lilja on his .30-.378. He is looking to use a GS Custom bullet at 173 grs and push it 3800 fps. The bullet isn't that common, it comes out of South Africa. But 3800 with 173 grs? mtmuley

I have a 338-378 and it likes the bullets seated a little deeper than magazine length. As mentioned before the freebore is huge. And as for that 3800fps, those cases are NOT going to last very many loadings. I'd say three at best.

mtmuley, your correct on the saftey, i normally shy away from questions like that. i do load for 30-378, just my own rifle, as for the 3800 fps, it's probly possible with that barrel length, i have not heard of the bullet you speak of, got a web site? if he plans on using it on big game it must be one well put together bullet! on something like that i just say "to his, his own"

REDDOG, There is a site. I can't remember it offhand, but I found it by searching GS Custom bullets. It is worth checking out. I'll keep you posted on the search for 3800 fps. I hope my buddy doesn't do anything foolish. mtmuley

mtmuley, that is a bullet for the future for sure! looks like a barnes-northfork-lapua hybrid! i was going to order a box of 173 30 cal's but wonder how they would work with the 1-10 twist, i guess it's only $85.00 to find out!

REDDOG, Pretty crazy looking huh? I noticed that all of their bullets seem light for caliber. I like to use 200 gr in my RUM. I will be talking to my bud this weekend. I think he found a supplier in the U.S. with a price around 70 bucks. I'll let you know. mtmuley

Here A real accurate load for my 30-378 Try it and see how it works for you and your rifle.
112 RL 25 Fed 215 primers 150 Noslers Patitions clocks just under 3700 The groups size well You wouldn't believe it anyways, so you try and see how it works for you.
this load shoots well in both my Sako and Wthby.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom