30 pp nonres. elk..where now?

JC

With winterkill in northwest corner in mind...where can I think to spend these 30 pp I've aquired..been to 201 a couple times..can't say I know where elk hang out there..been to 10..hunted deer there diy..have a little BIT of an idea!! Of course this will be 1 and done..any help appreciated ..forgot to say,rifle or muzzleloader .may do a pp this year..then go this year to scout and learn..

You probably want to be looking at units 10 (although it is in the northwest) or 40. I’m sure you will get some other good suggestions.

Wow. 31 yrs of applying. That’s amazing when you think about it. Hope you went hunting in there somewhere. IMO, currently there is no unit worth of 31 years in CO. Prob need another 3-4 yrs with good weather.

You probably want to be looking at units 10 (although it is in the northwest) or 40. I’m sure you will get some other good suggestions.
Love the idea of 10...I hunted that for deer...mostly to scout elk...the year before 22/23 winterkill..so I don't know the extent of how the bulls did thru that..hoping someone that knows that unit and surrounding ones way better than me can chime in...pm me if you have an idea..thanks for reply

Wow. 31 yrs of applying. That’s amazing when you think about it. Hope you went hunting in there somewhere. IMO, currently there is no unit worth of 31 years in CO. Prob need another 3-4 yrs with good weather.
I did hunt between times..archery muzzleloader ..also there were times I couldn't afford it,so it worked out!!...but yes..a long time

It sounds crazy but he’s probably 10+ years away from a unit 10, 2 or 201 tag with muzzy or rifle.

NR or R?

I don’t think there’s any firearm hunt you can currently draw in the NW corner if you’re a NR.
Sorry..thought I included NR..from what I did a quick look 10 is a maybe..but heard it got hit hardest ..will check options now..

Sorry..thought I included NR..from what I did a quick look 10 is a maybe..but heard it got hit hardest ..will check options now..
You gotta remember that you had 29 points last year, and the guys with 30 on the odds charts all have 31 now. Combine that with the fact that CO is going to likely go to a weighted lottery in the next couple years so people with high points are gonna be clambering to get whatever they can get before that change happens, and I would say you’re gonna wanna get whatever you can get. You could potentially have a super small chance at 10 muzzy if a few guys changed their mind for some reason but it would take a lot of things happening that the trends have never showed to happen. I would think hard about archery if you have any ability to bow hunt. Other then that, unit 40 is the only “higher tier” elk firearm/muzzy hunt you can draw with 30 points.

You gotta remember that you had 29 points last year, and the guys with 30 on the odds charts all have 31 now. Combine that with the fact that CO is going to likely go to a weighted lottery in the next couple years so people with high points are gonna be clambering to get whatever they can get before that change happens, and I would say you’re gonna wanna get whatever you can get. You could potentially have a super small chance at 10 muzzy if a few guys changed their mind for some reason but it would take a lot of things happening that the trends have never showed to happen. I would think hard about archery if you have any ability to bow hunt. Other then that, unit 40 is the only “higher tier” elk firearm/muzzy hunt you can draw with 30 points.
Thanks so much for info...I'll have to look into 40..see what it's about...can't say I've been there..thanks for replying to my "dilemma" ..JC

Thanks so much for info...I'll have to look into 40..see what it's about...can't say I've been there..thanks for replying to my "dilemma" ..JC
Good luck! It is kind of a dilemma for sure. I used to have more than enough points to draw muzzy in 40. Just couldn’t justify spending that many points and that much money to hunt 310-330 bulls so I held off. Now it passed me up, I’m in no mans land with 24. I’ll never live long enough to draw a NW corner tag and hunt public land and I don’t want to burn them and have to hire access. My best bet honestly is hoping for policy change to a weighted lottery but even then, I’ll have 1-2% chance for the rest of my life.

Yes...well I got busy trying to make a living..then trying to raise kids..now busy teaching grandboys how to shoot bows and gun safety..now finally thinking being retired with some time..and a little money I thought I'd have a go at maybe a final chance at a great tag...just a year or 4 out of reach?!! I'm close so I have to try...thanks again for info..

Yes...well I got busy trying to make a living..then trying to raise kids..now busy teaching grandboys how to shoot bows and gun safety..now finally thinking being retired with some time..and a little money I thought I'd have a go at maybe a final chance at a great tag...just a year or 4 out of reach?!! I'm close so I have to try...thanks again for info..
If you’re hiring an outfitter it would be worth a call to Biggerstaff and Lawson in 40 as you’d be guaranteed draw in there for first rifle or muzzy. The NW corner tags I think you’re right and you’re a ways out on them yet.

If you’re hiring an outfitter it would be worth a call to Biggerstaff and Lawson in 40 as you’d be guaranteed draw in there for first rifle or muzzy. The NW corner tags I think you’re right and you’re a ways out on them yet.
I hunted with biggerstaff in 40 and they were amazing. If you take the time and talk with them, a 340" bull is very Doable, bigger if you get lucky and hold off.

No experience with Biggerstaff (heard they are good) but I would take yotebuster and mountainsqwab's advice. Call the couple of outfitters in unit 40 that have private land access in unit 40. The good ones are 2-3 years out booked. Book the hunt of your choice with that many points.

Yes, 30 points used to draw an awesome hunt of your choice in the NW, public land, big bulls, etc not that many years ago but it doesn't now and NEVER will.

You waited 31 years for this many points. Save the cash for a few years to put towards this hunt and go. Don't waste that many points on a NW tag that may or may not be worth it.

Yes it sucks but that's the way it is now. If you have 30 points now you probably ain't getting any younger. Good luck. Hope you have a great hunt.

Do you think the nw will start to have a negative point creep. I drew 21 3rd with 9 nr pts for deer, had 61 first rifle elk the same year with 9, then had 22 3rd deer with 8, then 40 elk with 8. that all was in less than 20 years, now that would take 60 years to do that with mostly poor quality , from what I read here. If I had your points I would be planing on hunting low pressure unit of your choice and having a fun hunt, If a monster is the only choice for you, sitting it out is your only choice, and some day it may be the right time . With a pile of money you could hunt a rfw hunt even if you are not a res. as long as you have a tag and can book an opening on that ranch.

Thanks to all that have put some thought to my "dilemma " ..I think I'm right now putting in for 1 more p.p. then I may visit a couple units this archery and muzzy season for a camp/ scout trip to see what kinda bulls I can get next to with calling...am leaning for a b****s muzzleloader hunt..

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom