300 or 338 or 7mm rum?

cbryant11

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-05 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]

i want to buy a new rifle,, my fiance wont let me go hunting so iam gonna show her.....iam looking at getting a remington 700 cdl in either the 300 ultra mag 338 ultra mag or 7mm ultra mag,,, i dont want the short action, i want the long action,,, i like the ballistics on the 300 ultramag but iam not sure what the other ballistics are like any info would be great ,,,,,i want to be able to shoot coues to moose with it also,,,, thank you cbryant

are you gonna shoot your fiance? any of them guns would work pretty good. long as it ain't a 7/08.

the 7mm and the 338 are EXTREMELY limited on factory loads, so if you dont handload, get the .300 for sure!!!

welli wont shoot her,,,, and i do handload so that wont be a problem,.,,, also i will more than likely use barnes xlc in it so is that a good bullet?>

Looks to me like you need to settle your 'problem' before you get married.

Go with the 30 caliber.

BM

the ultramags really need a tough bullet like the barnes.
I'm with the other guys about your fiance, things will only get worse and in a years time you will by crying the blues and paying alimony.

Totally agree,

By any one of the 3 you like. But make sure you find a new fiance first.

Better "lay down the law" or you'll surely regret it later!!!
Get the 300 RUM, it's an awesome caliber !!!!!

Your fiance won't let you go hunting? What happened there? Did you go to a PETA rally intending to give 'em the "what fors" and end up falling for a tree hugger? Anyway, go with the 300RUM, mine's a stainless/synthetic Win Mod 70 w/Nikon Monarch scope. Love it!! Great round, and great bullet selection for a handloader. Scott/couesbitten

IMO
The .300 is great and probably the most versitile of the three. I have a friend who has had the .300 and at least 2 .338 RUM's, he really likes the .338, but it is probably way more power than you need unless you plan to hunt Brown Bear and Moose regularly, definitely deadly on both ends!

well we have been together for 10 years now and i didnt get a tag it was my buddies who wanted me to go with them, but i showed her i got a weatherby mark v 30-378,,,, that will teach her i hope,,, i know its not the 300 ultra mag so i hope i will like it,,, if theres anything bad about it let me know now cause its only on hold at the store,,,cbryant

I guess it's a good thing you didn't go for the 338 ultra in the CDL because they don't chamber it. It's only available in the XCR. The only down side to the 30-378 are cost and availability of ammo + a decreased barrel life. But who cares just burn the barrel out and have it rebarreled, no big deal. Horsepower is great if you can handle it. The 300 ultra however is probably a much more practical choice. Good Luck.

The 300 RUM is your best bet for an all around cartridge and they can be very accurate...Steve

7mm for sure, its a flat shooter, and packs the perfect punch for most animals under 600 yards away

Seems like .300 ultra would be a lot for Coues. I have a .300 Win Mag Weatherby I really like that might work a little better for dual purpose, real accurate out there 2-300yds. and you could load w/ 150 grains. -D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom