.300 RUM bullet tests

Meander

Here are the results of a couple bullet tests into water filled milk jugs. The factors, and results are listed below.

Rifle: .300 Remington Ultra Mag

Bullet #1: 180 grain Nosler Accubond with a muzzle velocity of 3370 fps. Estimated impact velocity was 3068 fps. Bullet found in the 5th milk jug. Estimated impact energy, 3760 ft. lbs.

Retained #1 bullet weight: 111.7 grains, 62.0%

Bullet #2: 180 grain Barnes XLC BT with a muzzle velocity of 3282 fps. Estimated impact velocity was 3010 fps. Bullet found in the 6th milk jug. Estimated impact energy, 3619 ft. lbs.

Retained #2 bullet weight: 179.5 grains, 99.7%

Distance to impact: 150 yards

Being a fan of both bullet companies, and an owner of a 300 RUM, that is great info to have. I haven't loaded them yet, but it looks like I'll be using 168gr Barnes Tripple Shocks this year. Thanks for doing some testing for us "magnum heads".

I would be more interested in seeing a comparsion with the Nosler 180 gr. Partition bullet instead of the Accubond, and see how it compares with the Barnes.

RELH

which jug was deader, the 5 or the 6 ??

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

With all due respect, the only reliable way to test a bullet is poke it into an animal. I get 3 mule deer doe tags a year, and do real world testing. The Accubond hasn't failed so far. And I've poked a couple into bull elk and antelope from near to far also. They are both great bullets. Use what shoots best. mtmuley

I'd love to know how the 180gr. Scirocco would stack up against the Barnes. The factory Rem. Scirocco's shoot great out of my RUM.

Funny how different barrels like different bullets. I could shoot tighter groups with dirt clods than I could with those Scirrocco's out of my 300. Now I'm using Partition's, which group and kill well, I just really wanted to try the Tripple Shock's. Guess I better get my own butt out there and get some test results.

D13er,

Both bullets created fatal situations. More trauma than one could possibly imagine. The tissue damage to the first three was so extensive that it made it virtually impossible to properly identify the victims. The county coroner's office is still struggling with the whole matter. It's sad to see these things happen. We indeed live in dark times.

Would like to know the accuracy between the two.

Studpile: Would like to know you results, I would like to use the TSX 168 but will probably not have time this season the brew up a load.
Cary

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom