300 RUM help

Retumbo, 94-95 grains, I don't have the data in front of me but you must work up for your rifle anyway, 200 grain Accubond, Rem case (hard to find nowadays), Fed GM Match 215. velocity is right at 3175.

Some guys are getting 3200 fps but I settled back to my load after hitting a little pressure.

I like the .588 BC and I like the bonded bullet on elk. I'm building another one and will try some 212 ELD-X for giggles.

Be safe, load safely, shoot safely.
Zeke

I've also used 101 grains of Retumbo with a 168 TTSX, same case same primer and get 3365 fps. This load will kill anything and everything from pronghorn to elk with stellar results.

Not as high on the BC scale as the 200 AB but still works well to extended ranges for me.

Zeke

I use the same brass and primers but shoot the 190 grain long range accubonds with 95.5 grains of retumbo. I'm getting 3350 fps with this load. It is a hot load so work up as always.

>I use the same brass and
>primers but shoot the 190
>grain long range accubonds with
>95.5 grains of retumbo.
>I'm getting 3350 fps with
>this load. It is
>a hot load so work
>up as always.

Fast barrel!
Zeke

I agree. I was surprised when I saw the speeds I was getting so I borrowed another chronograph and I got the same numbers with it. This is with a Benchmark 26" barrel.

>I've also used 101 grains of
>Retumbo with a 168 TTSX,
>same case same primer and
>get 3365 fps. This load
>will kill anything and everything
>from pronghorn to elk with
>stellar results.
>
>Not as high on the BC
>scale as the 200 AB
>but still works well to
>extended ranges for me.
>
>Zeke

Hey Zeke not to get into a pissing match here,but. I know my 300 is a little different but still the same. With the same bullet as yours with the same powder. I am getting 3810 fps everything the same. I do have a 27" barrel and my 300 rum shoulder move up to 50 degrees.A 300 Tejas but basically the same. Its amazing that moving the shoulder a bit how it changes. At 97.5 grains of Retumbo at 3673 fps. I am still trying to find a heavier bullet to slow things down and help with wind. Hopefully these Hornady 212 ELD-X's work out for me. Altough I can't complain ,the Barnes have worked well. I have been having a hard time getting the 200 grain LRX's to group well. Same with the Nosler LR 190's.

Hey, Maybe I just have a slow barrel or load more conservatively. (damn Krieger's)

I have no issues if someone else is shooting 1-2-500 fps faster or slower than me. I just know where I am and go out and kill stuff with the big thing.

BTW marley, it was an observation and not an indictment. As we know, some are faster and some slower with the exact same load. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

JT, it can't be different and still the same if you're getting 3810 and I get 3365! LOL Something has to be different since to reach that speed my bolt would be welded into the action and my brass would flow like water and I'd end up with an expensive decoy weight!
Don't tell the OP to expect anything close to 3800 fps with the weights mentioned or he'll lose an eye in the process! Keep up the good work!

Zeke

To the OP. I've been handloading, shooting and hunting with a .300 RUM for 16 years. Get some 200 grain Accubonds, some slow powders like RL-25, RL-33, maybe some RL-26, and some Retumbo. I think the new slow Enduron powder (7977?) would work well too. The 200 grain Accubond is an absolute killer in the .300 RUM. I'm not sure what Bigjohn is doing, but I doubt his velocities. With the 200 grain Accubond you can expect 3100 to 3200. I have been shooting the same load a long time at 3200. But, like Zeke said, you may need to back off. If you would like to shoot a mono, a friend of mine that has started a new bullet company has verified speeds of 3520 in a .300 RUM with a 181 grain bullet. PM me if you want more info. mtmuley

The difference is I shoot a 300 Tejas. This is a 300 RUM with the shoulder moved up. Much like a Akley. I believe I had a hot pound of Retumbo. But 3600 to 3800 is not unheard of with the 300 Tejas. It did show ejector marks and I don't normally shoot that velocity. My turret is set for a 3600 fps load. I am trying to get into a heavier bullet like mtmuley said. Since I have 200 Eld-x bullets . I hope they work for me. My son is buliding a semi custom 300 RUM. We are going to try some of the HSM,Hornady and Nosler loads first to see how they shoot. Before we start hand loading . You may want to try those first unless you really have your heart set on it. There are plenty of good quality bullets already out there on the store shelf's.

I love these kind of threads so I can enjoy all the cool things guys are doing with their rifles. The OP should be able to scrounge some nuggets of wisdom from the collective experiences.

Now, let's get out there and shoot some more!

Zeke

Retumbo is what I would try first! It works great in RUM cases.
Mt- Imr 7977 is basically the same burn rate as h1000 but can produce good speeds. I just got some for my 6.5SAUM.

I've been using the new Enduron IMR 7977 in several cartridges but not the RUM.

Does the stuff really reduce copper fouling while remaining temperature insensitive? I dunno

Zeke

How is a powder going to reduce copper fouling? Obviously some powders are cleaner burning than others , but copper fouling is a direct result of the bullet traveling down the bore . A rough factory bore will foul worse than a lapped premium barrel and some bullets foul worse than others . A powder is not going to remove the copper deposited in the bore .

It's said to contain a tin/bismuth compound that helps reduce fouling. It won't clean a fouled barrel but is said to help reduce copper build up when shooting especially high volumes. Also this isn't new technology. Military powders have included this but Hodgdon/IMR are starting to market it and use it in their powders.
I would bet if you shoot high volume say 223 that it may help a little but I doubt the average shooter would see very much difference.
7977 does give excellent velocity though.

>How is a powder going to
>reduce copper fouling? Obviously some
>powders are cleaner burning than
>others , but copper fouling
>is a direct result of
>the bullet traveling down the
>bore . A rough factory
>bore will foul worse than
>a lapped premium barrel and
>some bullets foul worse than
>others . A powder is
>not going to remove the
>copper deposited in the bore
>.

Yep. I don't know how if does it (see CaH805's post below for more details) or if it really helps at all. If it does help I'm sure it would be incremental at reducing buildup but not at cutting existing copper fouling but it's only one of the unimportant benefits of the powder to me.

I wanted a high velocity loads with a temp insensitive powder and I've found this to be awesome! I'm shooting it in 4 different cartridges with excellent results. The only problem is the first half of the 8 lbs keg is now gone too quickly. I guess I'll be looking for another keg next year. I'm still not sure I'll find a use in the 300 RUM so this is probably not much help to the OP.

Zeke

I had instant results 16 years ago with H 4831 and never had to try anything different. I only use 180g bullets with a 88.5 g charge @ 3325 fps consistently. It was also a bonus that an old timer down the street gave me a 50 lb keg then. I have no idea how old the powder is but it still works like a charm today.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-17 AT 08:40AM (MST)[p]>The difference is I shoot a
>300 Tejas. This is a
>300 RUM with the shoulder
>moved up. Much like a
>Akley. I believe I had
> a hot pound of
>Retumbo. But 3600 to 3800
>is not unheard of with
>the 300 Tejas. It did
>show ejector marks and I
>don't normally shoot that velocity.
>My turret is set for
>a 3600 fps load. I
>am trying to get into
>a heavier bullet like mtmuley
>said. Since I have 200
>Eld-x bullets . I hope
>they work for me. My
>son is buliding a
>semi custom 300 RUM. We
>are going to try some
>of the HSM,Hornady and Nosler
>loads first to see how
>they shoot. Before we start
>hand loading . You may
>want to try those first
>unless you really have your
>heart set on it. There
>are plenty of good quality
>bullets already out there on
>the store shelf's.

How is barrel wear on that Tejas? Who made the gun?
Cross Canyon?

Thanks

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-17
>AT 08:40?AM (MST)

>
>>The difference is I shoot a
>>300 Tejas. This is a
>>300 RUM with the shoulder
>>moved up. Much like a
>>Akley. I believe I had
>> a hot pound of
>>Retumbo. But 3600 to 3800
>>is not unheard of with
>>the 300 Tejas. It did
>>show ejector marks and I
>>don't normally shoot that velocity.
>>My turret is set for
>>a 3600 fps load. I
>>am trying to get into
>>a heavier bullet like mtmuley
>>said. Since I have 200
>>Eld-x bullets . I hope
>>they work for me. My
>>son is buliding a
>>semi custom 300 RUM. We
>>are going to try some
>>of the HSM,Hornady and Nosler
>>loads first to see how
>>they shoot. Before we start
>>hand loading . You may
>>want to try those first
>>unless you really have your
>>heart set on it. There
>>are plenty of good quality
>>bullets already out there on
>>the store shelf's.
>
>How is barrel wear on that
>Tejas? Who made the
>gun?
>Cross Canyon?
>
>
>Thanks

Brad Stair is the gun smith. He use to work for Cross Canyon. He is Performance Guns was before Cross Canyon and still is. He is the one that designed the Tejas. Not to bad on barrels since it's a hunting gun. Usually only takes one shot. Well two to put down a big bull Bison. ?

300rum
I shoot heavy for Cal. Berger 215, 91 grains of Retumbo, fed215m primers puts me at 3095 fps ES of 7 over 15 rounds. Can stack 5 rounds .5 moa at 1200 yards if I do my part.

Caution my gun is throated longer for 215-230 Berger's
start low and work up.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-17 AT 11:18PM (MST)[p]210 berger w/ 91g or retumbo. last year's deer was a single heart shot at 845, factory remmy w/ a break.

100.5 gr Retumbo 3350 fps it's a bit of a hot load I've been using I'm going to be looking at the 200 gr and backing it off a bit

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-17 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]My 300 RUM load....

200 Grain Accubonds on top of 94.4 grains of Retumbo in a Remington case with a 215GM primer gets me 3150 fps

It's by far my favorite load.

I may try developing a 212 gr ELDX load next but it's hard to move away from something that works so well.

Here's my update on IMR-7977 in the 300 RUM:

I previously said I had not used it in the RUM but now I have and I'm pleased with the results.

Is it better than Retumbo? I don't know how it could be but I worked up a load at 92.2 gr of 7977 and it pushed the 200 AB at exactly 3200 fps without destroying the primer pockets of my precious prep'd brass too much.

I've shot the 200 AB's a bunch at 100-600 and 900 yards along with the 212 ELD-X (note: different powder charge, of course!) and I've settled back to the 200 Nosler Accubonds.

The 212 ELD-X did account for an elk already this year and the bullet's terminal result was about perfect at a scant 147 yards (I practice far and always try for close).

Remember: start lower than my loads and work up! Even a .5gr change will throw things out of acceptable pressure limits, in my experience. If you go too high you'll only get one pop of the primer before the pocket is loose.

PS: I've noticed that primer pockets suffer with either powder if the fps edges over 3200 in my rifle.

Whew,
Zeke

#livelikezac

I've definitely noticed some primer pressure I think it's called "cratering" but my pockets seam remain tight. Any thoughts on that. It sounds like we have some pretty knowledgeable guys on here which is awesome. I'm going to try out some 200 GR and slow it down a hair. And see how it shoots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom