.300 rum or .30-378 wby?

30 caliber is large??

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

338Rum is where I'd start

Yours truly,
HumbledHunter (stinkystomper's alter ego)
Mormons are Christians too

My uncle has his Rem. Sendero in 300 rum topped with a nightforce and he can easily hit a pie plate at 600 yards on a windy day, but he has put a ton of time into his loads and practicing with his gun.

What do you mean by long range? You gonna pack it around and hunt with it, or just set up and shoot? mtmuley

I would forget the .30 cal and step up to the .338 cal. The 338 RUM, 338 Edge, or the 338 Lapua is much better as a long range cartridge. The big 300 gr bullets make wind doping easier. The 338 LM is chambered for $5 bills though. Factory ammo is outrageous and just brass is very expensive. But shooting a 300 gr bullet at 2700 fps is a hoot. It makes long range hitting easy. Don't worry about 100 yard groups, go to 300 yards and work up the load.

Sounds like the .338 RUM is what you need. The RUM is very close the the Lapua and a ton more economical while being fairly forgiving to load for. 700's chambered for it are reasonable as well. I use a .300 RUM 700 BDL for most all my hunting, but am rat-holing cash to build a .338 RUM for strictly target. My rifle with scope is not too bad to carry all day, and you could set up a .338 just like it. mtmuley

If you think standing with your hands behind your back and calling Mike Tyson a fruit sounds like a good time you'll love the big 338's. I've been kicked by horses with less effect.

My 338 RUM after much effort and a couple barrels is a shooter, but it does nothing my 300 mags won't do with less recoil and less weight.

In my opinion the 300 mags are the best long range rounds for hunting given recoil, weight, trajectory ,energy and reasonable to expect out of the box accuracy. if a good bullet from an accurate 300 magnum can't do it I need to hike a little closer.

Stay thirsty my friends

dont write off the 30 cals..My 30-378 is throwing 230gr vld's @ 3000+fps...and that aint no turd. You wont top it with a 338 unless you step upto the various 505 based wildcats (allen, snipetac,cheytac).

That said, i am loving the mild manners of the 264 and 7 mags, strayed away from them for some time, but am finding they do it just as good as the monster mags, and are much more fun to shoot. The bullet makers are finaly producing some great LR bulletts in 270 also, tho they will need a faster twist than what the gun makers are making in that cal.

sixpack said:

"if a good bullet from an accurate 300 magnum can't do it I need to hike a little closer."

Agreed, and I will raise you one. I have carried a 300 win for years, however, this fall I will likely be sporting my 30-06 (it's handier). If I can't reach it with it, I need to hike closer :)

You coouldn't give me a RUM or the Weatherby, they kick like a mule and I don't hunt with a gun that has a brake, can't stand the noise or the dirt kicking up.
You don't need a cannon to shoot long range, like Reddog said a nice 7 Mag with 168 gr or 180 gr Bergers or a 264 Mag shooting 140 Bergers at 3200+ shoots very flat to 1000 yards and recoil is very manageable so no need for a brake.
If you're going to shoot past 1000 yards then a big 338 is probably the way to go, but realize they are not very fun to shoot.

30-378 fan.
had the 338-378 but my nephew talked me out of it. He loves the hell out of it.
30-378 with 165 gr at 3600fps gets the job done.
But they cost money to shoot and a couple of last 2 bulls I shot was a huge 80 yds out.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Also depends on how much money you have, the 30-378 eats up about $7 per round, I love my 30-378 but you may want to consider the cost to own more than the differences in performance as they are really not that far apart. The bullet selection may be a little broader in the 300 as well unless you load your own.
BB

300 Win Mag. 200 gr. Accubonds or Partitions. Loaded hot.
All you need. Well, unless your after Brown bear.

>300 Win Mag. 200 gr. Accubonds
>or Partitions. Loaded hot.
>All you need. Well, unless your
>after Brown bear.

Give me this combo and a Brown Bear tag and I'll give you some mittens made from the hide...

Todd

Save your shoulder, ears and wallet and pick up a 338 Winchester. With the new bullets your covered from midget Wyoming pronghorn to snotty s##t covered cape buffalo.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-12 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]I've owned both the 300 RUM and 30-378 Wby, currently have a 30-378 Wby Accumark. I load all my own ammo and frankly wouldn't have the 30-378 if I didn't due to cost of ammo. I'm running 200 gr Accubonds at 3200 fps without stepping on it too hard. With the accubrake recoil is more like my 7mm-08 or less. IMO the Wby needs at least a 26" barrel or longer to efficiently use the powder charge.

No flies on the 300 RUM, it will get you about 100 fps less with sane loading. I made my longest kill to date four years ago with a 300 RUM, an elk calf at a lasered 589 yds.

Load the .588 BC 200 gr Accubond in either, confirm your trajectory and watch the wind and either one will result in a dead elk as far away as you can accurately place your bullet.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

The RUM will crack 3200 fps with a 200 grain Accubond. Mine does at only a grain over max. With 26 inch barrels on both, there ain't much difference in speed. mtmuley

None of the big 30's or 338's are necessary unless you want to go over 1000 yards. The ballistics on the 7mm 168 berger at .617bc at 3000fps proves that. Much less kick and that velocity is achievable at 24" barrel and relatively easy with 26".

Anything more is simply overkill and ego. Ultra-mags are a waste of all that extra powder, add's 25% more to get an 5% in velocity. Not a good trade to me. Focus on better bullets, which the 7mm has.

I actually took my .300 Winny with those 200gr. Partitions for Brown Bear last september. It probably would have worked but when I go back I'll be toting a .375 Ruger.

Ummm, OK, Yeah BPKhunter, your point made. I don't really have an ego and I don't really like 7mms either. I DO like BIG .30's and .338s. Not everyone is on the 7mm-Berger bandwagon. mtmuley

>The RUM will crack 3200 fps
>with a 200 grain Accubond.
>Mine does at only a
>grain over max. With 26
>inch barrels on both, there
>ain't much difference in speed.
>mtmuley

3200 fps seems to have become the commonly listed velocity with the 300 RUM and a 200 gr bullet. Sounds like yours is doing it at a safe pressure mtmuley, but I'm afraid that many guys with slower barrels are loading up very high pressures to achieve that speed with their RUMs. I got my RUM up to 3200 fps out of a 26" barrel but that was several grains over max and I wasn't comfortable with that, plus it kicked the dog slobber out of me in an unbraked sporter weight. I went with the Wby because I can easily get that 3200 fps with a lot lower pressure from the much larger case. In either case, I don't think an elk would ever know the differece between the two rounds, only that it is now dead!

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-12 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]The big 30 caliber magnums are a lot easier and cheaper to get a good load worked up than the various 338s...this is not just my opinion, but the opinion of many of the top long range shooters out there. The 338s really shine past 1000yds and are one of the very few choices for shooting past 1 mile. That said if 1000 yds is your goal the big 30's are up to the task. They even shoot good to 1 mile. Precision is everything at that distance so I'd say if you are an experienced reloader go w/ the 300 Hulk. Tom Sarver holds the record w/ that caliber at 1000 yards with a 1.4 inch group http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/1000-yard-record
The 300 Hulk is based on a necked down 338 Lapua round but it is tedious to make. He recommends the 300 Norma (not 308, but 300 Norma) for reloaders that don't want the case forming hassle. Everything he works up for those rounds just seems to shoot great without ther hassle or price of the big 338s...check them out! I run a couple of custom 30 Harts, based on a fireformed 300 Weatherby, powder capacity of mine is square in the middle between a 300 Weartherby and 300 RUM. Mine was winning 1000 yard matches before the 30-378 and 300 RUM arrived (cutting edge at that time)...still wins some matches, lots of choices now adays.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom