.300 win FPS?

Thunderclapper

Shooting with my kids today we chronographed some shots just for fun. My daughters .243 shot 2944 FPS pretty consistantly. I brought a recently purchased (used) Remington KS Mountain Rifle. It's in great shape and appears to have fired very few rounds. I decided to shoot some Federal Premium factory loads with 180 gr Partitions, just to get the gun on paper. The first shot felt great but I was shocked when I looked at the chronograph. It read 3816 FPS. I checked the case for pressure signs, then fired another round. 3726. Second case looked the same. Third round 3750.

My first thought was that these #'s aren't even possible and have to be a mistake of some kind. However, my daughters .243 was consisant. Can I rule out the chronograph?

A second thought I had was that I should see extreme signs of high chamber pressure. The spent cartridges looked to me like other "hot" loads I've seen in the past, but not extreme.
9561img_1004.jpg

7812img_1007.jpg

Lastly, while working up loads for other rifles in the past I've noticed recoil elevate with the powder charge. At 6 3/4 pounds this rifle is frisky but not punishing. Today the recoil didn't seem unusual.

Any Ideas?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-13 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]At 3816 FPS you would have had to gather up what was left of your gun to try a second shot. My 300 win can get a 180 partition to 3150 with hot loads, much more and the bolt gets sticky.

I wonder if the 2nd digit in the display on your chronograph is screwed up, or maybe it's just screwing up period.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-13 AT 10:53PM (MST)[p]chronographs can be fickle..Try it on another day.

You weren't hitting those speeds..At the very least you would have had to hammer the bolt open with that much pressure..But I doubt you would have had a bolt left to hammer open.

I usually carry a 22 with consistent ammo to make sure my chrono is behaving..I think i'm going to order one of those magnetospeeds that doesnt depend on light.

If chronographs are fickle I'm wondering if the first digit should have been a 2. 2816 makes a lot more sense. Oh brother, there are too many variables.

Did REDDOG load the Bullets for you?:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

How close did you have the Chrony to your muzzle? When I shoot mags I have to move the Chrony back to get away from the muzzle blast.

I think 10 feet is too close for your magnum. I have a 300wm shooting 180 grainers at 3000 fps. Load has been trajectory validated, so it's spot on on drops out to long distances.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom