300 win mag bullets

cbryant11

i have a remington 700 in 300 win mag and i was wondering how i should break it in and ,, what brand and type bullet should i shoot for muley in n az and elk and muley in montana,,,, i was leaning toward the partition or the accubond but iam definatly open to suggestions all info would be great,,, thank you cbryant

cb,

I am no expert on this and it appears you shoot the same calibers I do. I have not read your 270 thread, just the title of it.

Here is my take. I shoot 180 Partitions in my 300. I shoot elk and bigger game with the 300. I shoot my 270 at deer with Sierra GameKings in 130 grain. I only use my 270 for deer. I hate the kicking 300 unless I really need it.

Be careful with Partitions and the high grade bullets on deer. I think they are too hard for deer and just blow through them. I like something soft that comes apart on deer.

i've been shooting a .300 for a long time. i settled on 165 gr boattail hornadys and am real satisfied with them. big enough for anything in the U.S. and a lot faster and flatter than the 180's. partitions are fine, but i can't see spending the extra bucks on em when these seem to work fine. never had one come apart or do anything you wouldn't expect it too. i always find em wadded up under the skin on the off side. big, purty mushroom every time.

I'm with RLH on this one. With the way they make bullets these days, I think that you can get a little more speed and flat trajectory out of the 300 mag with the 165 grainers. Then, when you go to Montana, you've got a great combo bullet for the deer and the elk.

Which leads to another question. I just picked up some 150 grain Hornady Interbonds for my 300 win the other day because they were on sale, and I figured they'd make a good deer load if they shot well out of my gun. Boy did they. Given that they shoot so well out of my gun, what do you think of the 150 grain interbonds on elk?

Thanks,

WH

i see no reason to be afraid of em. you seldom knock an elk down and your main objective is to hit em in the lungs anyway. a 150 oughta be fine. no matter what the angle. i keep going back to my ol' man taking a real nice 6x6 last year with his .270 and 130 gr sierras. if it will do it, a .300 with 150's oughta be at least that good. o' course it is a .270 tho. the most perfectest cartridge ever.

Im with RLH too, I load for a friend with hornady 180's, they take down Deer with authority, A 5pt bull with complete penetration, and a cow moose with no problem...all animals so far 1 shot kills...and you cant beat the price.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom