300gr SST Enough For NM ELK???

Flores425

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-08 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]Sabots With Bullets:
50 Caliber Sabot
w/45 Caliber, 300 Grain SST/ML
Super Shock Tip Muzzle Loading
Two 777 Pellets
Hunting Elk with ML this fall and good buddy of mine said great combo.Anyone using this set up?

I've taken 3 elk with a 300 grain sst. All 3 went down almost where they stood. One cow I hit up high in the back bone went down so hard all four legs went straight up in the air, she was almost as large of cow as any bull. All three were about 80 yards when shot. Prior to using the 300 grain sst, I used the 250 grain sst. I had taken two elk the the 250 grain, results were not nearly as impressive. When using the chorograph the energy retained favored the 300 grain sst and the results showed in the field.

I have set up my .50 caliber with the 300 grain SST's also. Shoots really well. My wife has a LE elk tag this year and she is really shooting it well! Can't wait till sept to see the results! I am sure the 300 gr is plenty for elk! Good luck.

I just switched from a 300 grain XTP to SST , I wanted something a little more aerodynamic . 300 grain bullets are great for Elk . My son and a friend both killed bulls in the last two years with 300 grain XTP's

I have been playing with the 300 grain SST low drag sabots with 4 30 grain Triple 7 pellets and shooting really good groups at 100 yards with it. I will be trying it on my LE Elk hunt in September also.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom