338 Load

SayUncle

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-13 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]I want to work up a good 338 win mag load, I had worked up a load that shot pretty well using some Hornady SST's that someone gave to me, but I've read some bad reviews of the sst's, so I'm considering nosler accubonds or Barnes. Any suggestions?

What are you gonna shoot, and
what grain bullet are you interested in.

.338 Winchester Mag has always been best
served with 250 grain bullets.

That's what it's about.

250 grain Partition is probably the best
bullet for this round ever.

Some of the new bullets, you could go lighter.

....but why?? It's your .338 Win Mag

IMR 4350 is an excellent powder for the 250
grainer....but so is IMR 4831, H 4831, H 4350
RL 22, and RL 19.

A good 225 to 250 grain bullet over a heavy dose
of any powder mentioned, will cure most problems

I have been loading up my 338 win mag for years. Its a awesome round and a killing machine. Often over looked in todays world of super mags.
What I found that works well with my browning A bolt is imr 4831 73 grains using a Barnes 185 grain ttsx. It comes out of my 26" barrel @ 3258 fps .
My boy has taken it over from me and now it is his new favorite . He killed a 160 class buck (on a general unit ) a few years ago with it at 510 yards. It shoots flat and hits hard !
I would show you a bullet after shot in a animal. But we have never recovered one.

The SST is a awesome bullet, use it with RL-19 powder and also have a load with 4350. It is a great bullet out of the 338 win mag. I use it for moose and elk. wouldn't change.

I believe that hornady designed the GMX bullet to be shaped exactly like the SST and they claim they shoot the same. The idea being that you can practice with the cheaper SST and hunt with the GMX. Of course you have to prove to yourself that that is the case, but maybe that is the bullet you should look into.

A 250 grain Sierra over a max charge of 4350 does everything you will need it to, has a great bc, and won't break the bank...

2a0fcsk.gif

I have noticed that interbonds shoot as well as sst's in my rifles. I believe they hold up a bit better than accubonds too. Just my experience

I will be using it for elk. I was really interested in the SST's, but read that people had some problems with them, but I think that is what I will go with.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom