350 on the dutton?

S

sletlanna1324

350 on the dutton?

Just wondering what to expect? Never hunted in the rut.

RE: 350 on the dutton?

Yep.

Don't know about this year specifically - but consistently you can find them that big there every year. Mind you, that is definitely not the majority of the bulls, but there are some big ones there, and there is a good population of bulls in that range. 350 is a realistic goal for that unit with aspirations of something bigger - 370-390 range even, maybe the magical 400 mark.

It is definitely one of the most coveted tags in the West.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I have an archery Tag this year. been scouting a ton. my dad had a muzz tag in 06. If I had an early rifle tag I would be expecting 370+

From what I've seen bull quality on Dutton can change dramatically from year to year. On my hunt 10ish years ago I saw several 360+ bulls. On my buddies hunt the following year we could hardly find any over 340. From what I understand the bulls wander quite a bit between Dutton, Beaver, Boulder, and Monroe....and often winter on Dutton. Some years bulls tend to winter and stay on Dutton and other years they may wander to adjoining units. I don't think there is near the quality of bulls on Dutton as 10+ years ago (too many rifle rut tags issued) but if you are willing to work there are some nice bulls. There are some super remote, deep canyons and thick PJ country where they can hide.

I hunted this unit hard in 2012 on the muzzy hunt. We saw elk every day but never could get the job done. The best bull I saw would probably be around 340. Hunt long and hard you could make the 350 club.

Thanks guys,seeing alot 320-330.Will have to it it harder in the next few weeks.?

I hunted the Dutton in 2008. I was on that pile of rock for over two weeks (archery hunt) and I only saw one bull that would go over 340. It was hot and dry and the big bulls were not with the cows. They were tucked in little holes waiting for the rut. The biggest bull I saw was by himself with no other elk around him. There are big bulls on that unit and 350 + is doable but it will take hard work on your part.

Best of luck

I hunted the archery hunt in 07, and then helped again in 2010. What a difference.
I saw 4 bulls over 380, and killed a 370 bull.
In 2010 we could not find a 340 bull.
You will get a bull, just keep at it, hunt far from the end of the roads. We found all bulls at least 2 miles from the roads.
Good luck!

I hunted in 11' on an archery hunt. Tough hunt. Bulls were super quite. In fact I though for a moment I was hunting the Wasach Front. After 6 days we finally started to see bulls but not where you would think. I saw bulls in the middle of the day right smack in the middle of the road. Great bulls 340+. We hunted and glassed a lot. Latter I found out that the elk herd on that entire mountain had only 1,200 head. I thought that was way low for the size but if that was the truth, no wonder we didn't see much. I did learn that those elk have certain pockets they hang out in and if you aren't in those spots or glass those areas you or going to be looking at a lot of dead fall.

I think the canyon is forest canyon that I kept seeing these bulls moving cows up and out the top of. I would be traveling to and from camp and usually would come around a bend and they would be standing there. Tried a dismount each time but that is hard with a bow strapped to the wheeler. They would cross the main road about 2-4 o'clock. And take them somewhere towards the west of the main road. It was fairly consistent for 3-4 days towards the end of the hunt.

I tried on several occasions to hike off the top 2 miles and it sucked. Dead timber everywhere. No trails and if they are there they are the kind that are less traveled so might as well no be there. I found bulls down there but nothing that enticed me to drop in that hell hole.

Don't hunt the roads you probably won't find your 350 but maybe later dates then archery will make a difference. Hopefully this year will produce more and bigger bulls. BTW, that year 2 bulls were killed on the first day of the archery hunt 8/12 I think that went over 400". I think they were shot on some water by locals out of Richfield. So there are some big bulls historically.

Good luck!

It depends if your looking for a Monster Muleys 350 bull ? Then I think you are already there. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom