357 mag loads

M

mathewsman

Which load is the ideal combination of velocity & knock-down power for a 357 mag (6" barrel)? The premise would be for self defense (from intruders or rogue bears) or deer sized big game.

A great load for the .357 mag that I use is found in the Hornady man. 158gr. XTP with 15.0 gr. H110 and cci 550 primer. 1200 fps. you may want to start lower and work up, this is a 'warm' load, I shoot a s/w mod.27, and a ruger blackhawk. use ear protection.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-10 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]I use H110 as well in my .357 Magnum loads, however, I use the Hornady 180 grain XTP. A charge of 13.0 grains will drive that little pill to about 1,200 fps as well. And that load is SUPREMELY accurate in my Taurus.

In actuality, that is the load and gun my wife uses. It's her favorite!

As always, start at the bottom of the load and work your way up. The range for a 180 grain bullet (using H110) is from 12.5 - 13.5 grains.

What sort of gun are you thinking of using?

Corbon makes a 180 at 1200fps....a 200 at 1150 and a 125 at 1300 (certified CA lead-free), a 125 at 1400, a 140 at 1300 and a 110 at 1500

Buffalo Bore makes some stuff that is a tad hotter...158 at 1475 and 180 at 1400 and 125 at 1700

BTW, the original .357 spec was a 158 at 1,500.

FWIW, on two legged beasties, I like a JHP 125 grainer at about 1250.

An article on Buffalo Bore bullets

http://www.gunblast.com/MilesFortis-AKChurch_BuffaloBore.htm

I don't think that you can match those velocities w/a handload...but they are proud of em!!!

John 14:6

You are asking your 357 mag. load to do two seperate things at opposite ends.

The #1 manstopper is a 125 gr. hollowpoint at around 1200-1300 fps out of a 6 inch barrel. Has a high 90% one shot stops in over several hundred police involved shootings.

The same load is on the light side for bear protection due to the fast expanding hollow point. For bear you should go to a heavier bullet, possibly a soft point, not hollow point, for deeper pentration.

You need to load up two loads. The 125 gr. HP for self defense against humans and when out in bear country, switch to a heavier soft point bullet for the deeper pentration needed.

RELH

I hear you relh....but would you rather shoot (god forbid) someone with the heavier soft point or the bear with the lighter hollow point? I guess my question could be re-phrased to, what load would work best for all applications? I gotta believe that 2 different loads would have dramatic differences in the p.o.i. and I don't want have to be constantly changing my sights.

I agree! I mean, how often are you planning on shooting somebody...as if those heavier loads wouldn't work. Keep that sucker loaded for Bear! ;-)

Joey

Those heavier loads can pass though a human chest or adomen and not expand at all and possibly fail to make a one shot stop. There is many on record shootings like that where the suspect was hit, and not stopped and he returned fire and killed the person who just shot him.
If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, a 357 is a very marginal caliber for black bear, I would not want to use it for trying to stop a grizzly attack.
Bottom line is that it is your choice, just hope you make the right choice if the crap hits the fan.

RELH

RELH, That's why you have 6 shots :) As i mentioned, the average hunter isn't going to be shooting someone(i know a lot of hunters out there that have never had to shoot somebody) often enough to make a difference. I'd have one loading, cheap wad cutter type for plenty of practice, and another loading for all the times when away from the shooting range .

+1 on the .357 being marginal for bear. Marginal for deer too IMO, unless shots are limited to close, archery type ranges.

Joey

Heavy HARDCAST lead 180 grain bullet for animal defense, not soft points. These are also factory loaded by Federal, Buffalo Bore ect.

Go with the Hornady XTP. The "XTP" stands for "Xtreme Terminal Performance." That means Hornady has manufactured those buggers to open up fast and cause as much damage as possible while avoiding pass-throughs...hopefully. The 180 grain XTP's are a really heavy hollow point and will take care of just about anything you can dream up, besides the biggest of bears and African beasties.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom