375 H&H Elk Load

Bill_in_MI

Looking for your thoughts on what to use this year.

I will do the due diligence and figure out what produces excellent accuracy and after that, narrow the field by what bullet/weight will yeild the best terminal performance on elk.

Looking to maximize velocity potential and bullet expansion without disintegration.

Thinking of the 250-270 grain options out there to reduce drop between 300 and 400 yards.

Thinking of staying away from the Barnes TSX for instance, due to many claiming poor expansion at lower velocity's.

Factory loads only please.

What about the lesser known brands- Doubletap, Bitterroot, Nosler Custom, etc?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-10 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

One that has always intrigued me has been A-Square. They offer a 300 gr. in 375 H&H called the "lion load".

A bullet I really like and use in my 338 RUM is the Swift A-frame. Remington offers it in their safari line of ammo for the 375 H&H in a 300 gr.

For the weight your looking for you might wanna check Federal's Cape Shock that offers a 250 gr. Trophy Bond which is a super bullet and would be excellent elk medicine.

The 270 tsx is the cat's azz in the 375. Better than the 235tsx for long range according to those in charge at barnes. I was looking for a load for my 375wby and thought the velocity from the 235 would be great. They talked me out of it and into the 270tsx. You won't have failures with barnes in that large caliber.

Alright, so I'll keep an open mind about the TSX. So the ones that have said good things about it, have you experieced good expanison then? Again, a 270ish grain tsx seems like a stout bullet that resists energy dump.

Another one: What about the Hornady spire points in the 270 grain? Are they basicaly a Win power point?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-10 AT 11:07AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-10 AT 10:53?AM (MST)

>Nosler Partition...won't come apart at any
>velocity and shoot darn straight.
>270 grain ought to be
>wonderful.

They are designed to retain the bottom half and shed the top half at higher velocities or when hitting bone. And they do.

I shoot 270 grain hornady bullets in my .375 weatherby. They shoot great and are good Elk medicine. I am going to try the 260 grain accubond. It has a higher B.C than the hornady and I like the plastic tip on the accubond. The hornady tip gets pretty beat up in the magazine in my .375. I just hope that the accubonds shoot as good as the hornady. I am itching to shoot as soon as the weather improves.

"Energy dump" is a good thing when the shot is perfectly placed and encounters little/no bone. "Energy dump" is not so good if strong bone is encountered and the energy is "dumped" before the vitals are reached.I have seen this played out many times in the field. For that reason I prefer to err on the side of caution for big animals like elk and use strongly constructed bullets such as the TSX.I have shot many animals(including elk and even smaller animals like deer and varmints) with the TSX and,while they do almost always exit on a broadside shot,the animal never goes far.This may not be as big an issue with a big caliber like the .375 but it is for the .300 and even the .338 Win mag... JMHO

"This may not be as big an issue with a big caliber like the .375 but it is for the .300 and even the .338 Win mag... JMHO"

Although ancedotal, that sums up my thoughts. With the H&H I fully expect deep penetration with almost anything except maybe a ballistic tip designed to violently expand. Hence the TSX seems like potential wasted energy if it doesn't expand enough and I simply get a thru and thru.

Dead is dead and I get that. Just looking for the best balance of BC, bullet mass, and a round that will mushroom quickly and hold together. If it does, the sheer momentum should drive it thru vitals from any angle correct?

I appreciate the tips and am considering all replies. Thank you!

Bill

On the accubonds, I did pancake an oryx from 150 yards with my 300 WSM. It was also the most accurate round in that gun...mmmm

What about these other ammo manufactures? Are they loading more consistent from box to box?

Thx
Bill

That was a great article. I think I will have to try the 270 grain tsx in my 375 weatherby.

Interesting read reddog thank you!

I read the main PH post and bookmarked the rest of the 16 pages to browse later.

I probably settled on the 'go to' round for my shiney new WY elk tag that's due to arrive any day.

Thx for all the posts boys.

Bill

Where can I find the 270 grain TSX in factory loads? Best deals?

Looks like Sako Rifle Ammunition has some, but never heard of them...

Thx
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-10 AT 11:38PM (MST)[p]REDDOG, I've posted before how they expand. BUT I'll do it again. Shot 210 x-bullets into a Lodgepole round @ 100 yards. Shot 210 grain partitions into same round. Split the wood. Measured the bullet path of travel. X-bullets averaged 19", Partitions averaged 11" One of the 3 X-bullets lost one petal. The other two had all 4 petals intact. All 3 were fully expanded.

Reddog, you just ain't shootin em at the right thing to get recovery. :)

Guess I should have said .338 Win Mag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom