39 monster bull rumor

I had a pic texted to me, suppose to be 390 from unit 32...its probably making the rounds, who knows where it came from, next you will hear from somewhere else..

Could you post the pic? love hearing about big bulls being tipped over here in Idaho!

When I went through the check station the fish and game person said the biggest bull that h.as ever came out pf 39 was checked

Well if it came out of 32 it might have been a resident of one of the ranches, but it would be a pretty rare thing for that unit to push out a record bull I would think. I have been in there a few times this year and for the first time have not even cut a track, of course because I have a cow tag.

Not that you can score a bull from a rub but last year while deer hunting I came across an elk rub on 6-8 inch caliper tree that exteneded close to 8 foot high and the tree was demolished up there. By far the biggest rub I have ever seen. Based on that I believe a giant bulls do exist in 39.

Wish they had an archery season for bulls during the rut in there!

Amazing that they don't consider a controlled archery hunt with ~20 tags. Maybe not enough enforcement?

People are upset about the odds of drawing a tag, but many fail to realize that if the IDFG would just throw in a couple "special hunts" like archery elk here or a few early season any weapon muley hunts there, that the odds HAVE to go down on other hunts because people will be attracted to these. Easy way to not install a point system and drop odds.

I think that is a very good idea DTpipe.

There are several units that I can think of that could have something like that, without a big effect on the general season.

I wish sombody would get a pic of this bull. I have never hunted 39 before, but hear it could be possible for a moster bulll to stay hidden in there long enough to grow that size.

>Amazing that they don't consider a
>controlled archery hunt with ~20
>tags.

There's plenty of units with archery rut hunts. A controlled muzzleloader bull hunt would be the ticket. There's few muzzleloader elk hunts worth a darn in this state and none targeting mature bulls. 39 could absorb 10-20 tags no problem. Think of the apps. that hunt would sell...

I know there's plenty of units with archery elk. Here, I'm talking specifically about Unit 39, which has no archery hunt for bulls. There are many other units, say unit 44, that would benefit from a low number of controlled archery tags. To me, this is an easy revenue gainer, an easy way to drop odds on other hunts, and easy for the unit to absorb in terms of population.

However, this runs into a bigger conversation (which we have already had) about the need for a more specific plan for each unit aimed at easy ways to improve revenue and the creation of really exciting hunts.

Anyways- can't wait to see if this bull from 39 exists. I absolutely believe that a 380-400 type ball could come out of a few hell holes in that unit.

There is a late bow hunt for elk in 39...its tough but there is an archery option for elk in 39. I think the success rate is around 4%.

39 can definitely grow bulls that big...would not surprise me at all.

39 has a lot of pressure on deer and elk from mid August to end of November. I'm not sure that adding additonal hunting pressure is needed. The rifle guys also enjoy the fact that the bulls have not been hunted until the rifle season.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-11 AT 02:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-11 AT 12:39?PM (MST)

You don't have to add additional pressure if you restructure the unit's hunts in a more creative way--- you need to confine the pressure into better managed, smaller allotments while maintaining general seasons AND have revenue increasing, exciting controlled hunt opportunities that reduce odds to draw in other units by sucking away applicants from other hunts.

Just think how the odds would go down on "your" controlled elk hunt of choice if they eliminated the 5 tags (626 applicants) early Owyhee Elk hunt which is more of a novelty hunt like I'm talking about could happen in 39. It's both good and bad that the legislature has a heavy hand in changing the cost of applications, bad in that everyone knows that people would not change their patterns if say, it cost 10 bucks instead of 7 to apply for the best units in the state. But that's government and non-market-based commerce...

And, as discussed before, the number of doe hunters is WAY to high for the conditions in that unit.

Also, I don't happen to believe that 10-20 additional bow hunters hunting bulls in Sept for a few weeks will change the amount of skittishness those bulls have come November based on the the limited number of hunters, the less impactful (normally) ways of a bowhunter, and all the other hunts going on anyways.

Obviously, I don't believe these points are high on the IDFG priority list. But I will keep giving my opinion.

Okay, this is my last post here, as last time I "hijacked" a post and talked about the IDFG controlled hunt system someone got all huffy puffy and started throwing slurs at me...

like DTP is saying adding 5 or even 10 tags IS NOT going to do any damage to the elk herd in 39 & it would up the overall odds of drawing a tag I for one wish they also had a few rut tags available for 39 also

don the pipe, unless I missed soemthing, there is not much to hijack on this thread.

I don't know much about 39, and really don't care. I just think your idea could apply to several units and have a huge impact on reducing the competition. Even if it is by "watering down" the supply side. The impacts would also be within reason it seems to me.

One thing, it might not be a bad thing to get the elk a touch stired up prior to the opener. I know where I hunt one unit has an early archery hunt, and one does not. The unit that does not gets the holy heck shot out of it on opening morning as the bulls are still bugling and pretty dumb as compared to the unit that has an archery hunt in it. Stiring the bulls up a little in this unit with say 10-20 bow hunters, might "save" a lot more bulls than 10-20 that are killed on the special hunt, come opening day of the general season.

also, I am not excluding the muzzle loaders either, same thoughts. couple of tags for an early or late hunt.. as long as it is just a few tags for these hunts.

I know for a fact that 39 can produce a 390+ bull because I have a set of 380+ sheds from there hanging in my garage. G3's suck.....as is par for 39 but the rest is gnarly.
39sheds.jpg

the rumors are TRUE! they were killed on private property about a mile from my house, i say they because there was a 360 bull as well, that came off the same ranch. that same ranch also produced a 30" muley. those bucks and bulls lived there all year long.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom